Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Trained in Microsoft Office from 2000 through to latest version 2010.
65126503

I can not rebuild office database

I can not rebuild office database

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your Microsoft, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Lindie

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I am waiting

Hi

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Lindie

I'll be happy to help with this issue. Can you let me know what version of Outlook you are using and also which version of OSX is installed?

Do you get any specific error messages when trying to rebuild the database?

cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hej Steve,

Thank you for reply.

I have microsoft outlook 2011 virsion, and my MAC version is 10.7.5.

I used Time machine backups to restore "Main Identity". When I open outlook, it says "your office database index is missing and needs to be rebuilt. It is usually caused by restoring an identity with Time machine.... I klick on "rebuild", database utility window comes up and start to rebuild. Efter step 5 of 5, it says "Your database could not be rebuilt. (-18000)".

Jing

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

By the way, the message "Your database could not be rebuilt. (-18000)". comes up after step 4 of 5. Not 5 of 5.

I also tried to copy the backup "Main Identity" folder I need for restoring and place it in the: dokuments/microsoft user data/office 2911 identities. and the same message shows up while rebuilding.

No problem - I have seen that before a few times. Can you try the procedure outlined here and see if that lets you access the data again?

http://www.officeformachelp.com/2012/05/how-to-recover-your-data-when-rebuilding-restoring-and-upgrading-fails/

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried to download update 14.2.1, during downloading, I shall chose a driver the update can be installed on. I chose HD, and it says: office 2011 14.2.1 update can not be installed on the drive. One version that is needed for installing this update, was not fundet in the drive.

Why is that? How can I continue?

It is possible that update was already installed if Office was set for automatic updates. Can you load Excel.or Word and check the full version listed in Help-->About
Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it says on word- about- latest installed update 14.2.5. So there is no need to install 14.2.1.

The problem is not because of the SP2.

What shall I do now?

Thanks - no problem

Can you follow the instructions to repair the database as if SP2 has just been installed?

That should result in a working database again. I will be back in front of my laptop in an hour or so to double check if that doesn't let it rebuild properly.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

SO far has not worket out.

I am not sure that I understood the instruction right. Let's see: what I did was:

create a new identity folder in database utility, called "new Identity". It is the only folder in utility.

Close database utility.

Find folder "new Identity" via finder, delete fil called "database", open folder "Data Records", delete 2 folders indside, and replace with the listed sub-folders (from the backup "data Records" file) as the instruction.
There are 10 sub-folders listed, but I do not have "Note" and "signature attechments" folders. So I put 8 folders in.

Then close finder. Open outlook for rebuilding. After step 1 of 5, it says

your data could not be rebuilt. - 20997.

Ok - this should be the required steps

COPY these Data Records folders from the old Identity to the new blank Identity replacing the new folders.

Do NOT replace the root Data Records folder. Only the sub-folders listed here.

Contacts
Events
Folders
Mail Accounts
Message Attachments
Message Sources
Messages
Note
Signatures
Signature Attachments

Select to rebuild the Identity in Database Utility.

Open Outlook and your data should be back.

Let me know

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could you tell me which steps I did wrong? I guess I have a understanding problem. Maybe I should not delete the database file in the new identity folder? Either the 3 new files under "data recods" folder created by utility itself?

No problem - try without deleting the database file in the new identity folder initially. Also, nothing should be deleted from the Data Records location at all.

Let me know how that goes

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I reduild the identity, it says you database could not be rebuilt -18000.

If I open the outlook, outlook open but without data.

I did all the steps, except I could not "note" and "signature attachments" subfolder, since I don't have any in the old identity.

Thanks - in that case, can you try the exact same steps but this time also remove the database file in the new identity folder?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

same problem -your database could not be rebuilt -18000.

Although the database file is removed.

Thanks - can you let me know how large the original identity is in GB and how much free space is available on the drive?

Also - what e-mail account/services were configured in Outlook?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. The original identity is 1,57 GB. And the account is POP account.

Thanks.

By the way, some elder versiones of Identities (for example, backups from July and september 2012) which are bigger in size than this one, can be restored in the same Mac. But the backup I made i december and januar can not.

But the same original identity from januar can be restored in an iMac (version of 10.7.5. )outlook 2011.

Thanks - what happens when you try to restore the December/January backups on this Mac? Does it give a specific error?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

only "your database could not be installed - 18000" efter step 4 of 5 under reduilding. in sted of finish 5 steps of rebuilding and say" Your database is succesfully installed." - which happened with the earlier version of utility.

Ok - let's try this alternative way to restore the data (this will look similar to earlier but the folders to be copied are slightly different).

Contacts
Events
Categories
Mail Accounts
Message Attachments
Message Sources
Messages
Note
Signatures
Signature Attachments

Let me know how that goes.. if it still doestn't rebuild can you let me know how much free space is available on the Mac?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, something happened!

I did the alternative way as you said, the datas came back! But I could not receive emails, only sending emails. And all the contacts were missing.

Then I copied the identity which is in the iMac, which is working, placed the it into my mac - the one with troubles. Rebuilt, and it worked!

Wounderful! And thanks a lot for help!

Though I have got no idea what was going on and what was wrong with the mac. Could you explain me shortly, maybe?

Great - am glad it's working!

I can only guess but Outlook identities do seem to be prone to corruption and that must be what happened here. As to what caused it it's difficult to say if there wasn't a specific update performed before the problems started but as it's essentially a database file it can have issues.

As you are using Time Machine then you are in a better position than some as you have some restores you can use to try and correct the issue if it ever happens again.

Really happy that you've got everything back. Let me know if you need anything at all and if you're happy with the help please rate so we know how we're doing.

Cheers

Steve
Experience: Trained in Microsoft Office from 2000 through to latest version 2010.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for help!

Greetings

Jing

Hi Jing,

You're welcome!

Cheers

Steve