John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
53785

ONe of my spreadsheets takes an age to respond for basic commands,

ONe of my spreadsheets takes an age to respond for basic commands, such as cut and paste. The spinning wheel comes up and it can take 5 to 10 seconds. Undo ties up Excel so I have to force quit. This issue is only on one of my spreadsheets (which is admittedly very big with about 50 connected Work Sheets but is not arithmetically complex). I have been using this spreadsheet for about a year and have only started having these slow down issues for the past couple of weeks or so. I cannot think of anything I have added/changed/deleted/upgraded on my machine: MacBook Air 1.7 Ghz, OS X v 10.8.2, Microsoft Excel for Mac.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 1 year ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue

Steve Herrod :

can you try the following as a test?

Steve Herrod :

go to Apple menu-->System Preferences-->Users

Steve Herrod :

click the padlock icon and then click the + button to add a new user account

Steve Herrod :

setup a new test user

Steve Herrod :

and then restart the Mac

Steve Herrod :

login as the new user, load Excel and open the spreadsheet

Steve Herrod :

do you still get the same issue as that may indicate where the problem lies?

Steve Herrod :

Let me know

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX tried this but same result; takes 10 seconds for Ctrl-V and Ctrl-Z hangs and I have to do a Force Quit. Fraser.

Steve Herrod :

Thanks - so that should rule out any preference issue at all - would you be able to mail the spreadsheet toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX for my attention and I'll check?

Steve Herrod :

If you also include the link to this question that should get to me

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer: Did you see my response?
Steve Herrod :

I've not seen any response since you mentioned that under a new user the same thing happens?

Steve Herrod :

I then sent a response asking if you could mail the file toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX for my attention - did you get that message ok?

Customer: Oh sorry didnt get an email notification so didn't see it. I will email tomorrow. Thx.
Steve Herrod :

no problem

Customer:

Hi Steve. Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy week. I will send the spreadsheet via email, and I will attach some screen shots. I had to go thru every sheet to obfuscate the information, which took a long time. But in doing that it seems as if I narrowed down the issue to some kind of corruption on sheet 12-12 (December 2012) which is about when things started to slow down. SO if you go to that sheet and highlight a couple of cells and then paste them elsewhere on the same sheet, it should take about 20 seconds to complete. Just now I got a run out of memory message and the spreadsheet crashed.

Full Size Image
Full Size Image

Customer:

Hi STeve - JustAnswer says this is Closed but I sent follow up last night...Fraser

Steve Herrod :

Thanks - am not sure why it is coming up as closed but will review when back in front of laptop later

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

Thanks!

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Steve Herrod :

Hi Fraser - have reviewed the screenshots, just waiting for the spreadsheet itself now

Steve Herrod :

Cherers

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

i sent it to that email address you gave me a few days ago hight up in the thread, sent yesterday. I'll attach it to this message.

Customer:

not sure if it's uploading...

Customer:

this was the address I sent it to...XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Steve Herrod :

ok - have got it now

Steve Herrod :

not sure why the e-mails never came through

Steve Herrod :

so does the crash only occur when manipulating on the 12-12 sheet?

Customer:

I doesn't. It crashed on other sheets as well, but it seems worse on the 12-12. I know this is weird but I'm convinced there's a cell on 12-12 somewhere which is corrupted.

Customer:

although on the 'real' spreadsheet (the original) cut and paste is still slow on 1-13 etc. I will check now to see if this is replicated throughout. It does seem as if the obfuscation of the spreadsheet so you could see it has lessed the problem somewhat, but 12-12 is definitely still playing up.

Customer:

I've done cut and pastes on sheets 'to the right' on the original and it's slow all over. It's difficult to explain but last night when I spent time blanking out all the text fields and making the numeric fields the same all over the spreadsheet it really seemed to slow down (and then crash) when I got to 12-12.

Steve Herrod :

thanks - working around 12-12

Steve Herrod :

can you see if this one is any better?

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

No, sorry, it's the same. cut and paste 0n 12-12 took about 20 seconds. I remembered a work spreadsheet I use fairly often that is pretty complaex (not as many sheets but tons of cross referenced cells). Have just tested it and it works instantly.

Customer:

so it's some weird cell corruption somewhere!

Steve Herrod :

thanks - will see what else I can find

Customer:

what did you try last time?

Steve Herrod :

I ran some repair scripts against it which seemed to improve things but clearly doesn't seem to have resolved the key issue

Steve Herrod :

I'm going to open this to other experts for their input now as I can't think of many other procedures to try

Customer:

OK, thanks. Can you replicate the wait time when you do a cut and paste?

Customer:

Hi Steve: This seems to have been closed again?!? Fraser.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: I still need help.
This has not been answered and it's been closed twice. I can get no response.
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away with your Microsoft issue, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Lindie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that's fine, thanks.

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Lindie
Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you with this issue. Let me know when you're back online so we can test a few things
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

online now...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

online now

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.
Ok uploading file, one moment please..
Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.
Please check this file. You should notice the improvement in speed and performance

Attachment: 2013-01-27_161833_2013-01-14_200442_fix_mac_excel_b.xlsx

Let me know
Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.
Did you get the file. I posted it over half an hour ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks! Looks like it's fixed it . What did you do, as i need to make those changes to the original spreadsheet.

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.
Ok the basic problem was in the extensive use of conditional formatting. I wrote a script to go through the sheets and remove the conditional formatting rules from all sheets so we can isolate the problem. I also ran a repair utility on the file

Of course now that you know what is causing the issue you can try to reduce the conditional formatting rules by using other means to accomplish the desired result

Hope this helps.

Thank you for remembering to rate the answer if you found it helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Fantastic, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX possible to have the script so I can run it myself? I have no idea how to do that. Please give an example of conditional formatting in my spreadsheet.

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.
Sure, I will send you the file with the macro script in a moment. In the meantime you can go ahead and rate the answer so I get credit for my time. You can add bonus later if you like

Thank you
John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience: Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rated and tipped...

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.
Thanks

Here is the file with the macro code

http://www.ge.tt/7RYuOeW/v/0?c

The macro is in Module1 and is called "RemoveCF". And here is also the code separately

Code:

Sub RemoveCF()
For Each sh In Sheets
sh.Cells.FormatConditions.Delete
Next sh
End Sub

It should run on all versions of Excel except Excel 2004 which does not support vba macros. Make sure though to enable macros so the macro can run

And here is a screen shot showing some of the conditional formatting rules that you had on the 12-12 sheet before running the macro

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Perfect, I'll run it later. I had no idea I had CF in the spreadsheet. Many thanks for fixing this. The slowness a lot worse on the original spreadsheet, 20 seconds per transaction, and, as i use it every day it been driving me nuts for two months.

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.
Great :)

Yes there was a large number of rules ON EACH SHEET (you can scroll down the Conditional Formatting window to see how many rules were attached to each sheet)

Let me know if you have any questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's incredible; I have no idea how they got there. I know nothing about CF. Anyway, thanks for your help again. I applied the macro and it works! You can now close the case. Thank you again. Fraser.

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome Fraser. Glad I was able to help.

Closing this question...