Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Not sure if this is a software question, but a word file just

Not sure if this is a software question, but a word file just vanished from my word program...have run searches and found a rescued document in notepad that is all question marks except the last four lines I typed into it...
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcome

Click start, run and type in %temp% and press enter

If the file is recoverable it will be here

Please let me know the results

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX wasn't there. I know there are file recovery experts, I am baffled why this happened it just happened out of the blue. It's an oldish computer but this has never happened before, I was switching between word and some other programs but that hasn't been a problem before either.

Simon

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi Simon

The experts would need your hard drive and they will dismantle it and read it.

If you want to go to this length, let me know please and I will give the details

It could have been caused by an issue with the RAM on your computer (which is where it is saved while you type and than goes to the hard drive)

But if it never wrote to the hard drive, than no one can get it as RAM loses its data once it loses power

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, what sort of issue with the RAM--I'm wondering if this could happen again, reflects the aging of the computer; it was very weird just happened out of the blue; perhaps you could let me know how much time and effort and expense would be involved in having recovery experts look at it--I could probably restore the missing data in about 3 hours myself--Simon

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it will be $500+ and about 3 weeks (you send it off, and they dissemble it and scan off the data). But I don't see it working for you as the data I believe never made it to the hard drive.

The Ram issue may be a faulting chip. If this is the case you might want to look at replacing your RAM if this problem occurs again. I would urge to press CTRL+S every few minutes (this saves it to the hard drive)

Let me know the make and model of the computer if you want me to source RAM for it for you please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, thank you. I will wait and see if it happens again. The computer comes from a local outlet, it's not a Dell or whatever. In its day it was the fastest in town! Anyway, I think we are done, and thank you very much for your help.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome Simon

Please Rate My Service and all the best for 2013

Richie
Richard, Software Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues