Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Trained in Microsoft Office from 2000 through to latest version 2010.
65126503

Now I am really confused. Forms need to feed off multiple queries?

Customer Question

Now I am really confused. Forms need to feed off multiple queries? I can't get that to work. I don't really want a subform. frmClientPregnancyTestVisitDetailsAndResults needs data from 2 tables or 2 queries. tbl or qryClientVisitDetailsAndResults and tbl or qryHealthBackground. How do make the form accept the data more than 1 table or query?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 1 year ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi - hope you are well

Customer :

Yup, how's your son?

Customer :

Do you understand my question

Steve Herrod :

good good

Steve Herrod :

just reading it - also, is there an uploaded copy of the database?

Customer :

not yet. I felt that I needed to get this solved first to correct the previous problems

Steve Herrod :

ok - well the usual way is with a subform but they can be quite clunky

Steve Herrod :

let me load up the previous copy and take a look at that form

Customer :

I have queries made for the data and I could go directly to the tables without the queries?...

Steve Herrod :

yes - that would be one way of doing it. Do you know which items on that form would relate back to which query/table?

Customer :

All the questions about periods, cycles, come from the Health Background. Actually those results to the questions would have been asked already, they just need to be visible on this form, not necessarily changeable. The advocate would need to see them here so she could talk about the options available to the client at this date.

Customer :

I would also like the client's name at the top of the form....which comes from the tblClientIdentity, as well as the center's id number for the client from that table. So do I keep the form source blank and make all the field sources individually to each query or table?

Steve Herrod :

yes, I think given the information required and the sources concerned then each field source will need to be controlled individually

Customer :

so do you leave the form's control source blank?

Steve Herrod :

yes, the overall source can be blanked

Customer :

what then is the advantage or necessity of the query as a form source?

Steve Herrod :

I guess that is for far simpler databases - a lot of people use Access in a very limited manner and not with the rich information you are using it for

Steve Herrod :

and if a single form source works it can make troubleshooting easier

Customer :

okay, should we, could we address the counting expressions in queries where we count the number of field entries in a multientry field (within the same record).

Steve Herrod :

yes - what part of the database do we need to be in?

Customer :

qryClientVisitDetailsAndResults.nmPeopleAttendingThisEWYLSession needs to count the number of entries in grpWhoElseParticipated and add 1 to the quantity

Customer :

that will give me the syntax to use in other places if needed. Then at a later date I will need the syntax for counting between records within certain date parameters for reports.

Steve Herrod :

ok - am looking at it now

Steve Herrod :

it should just be a case of putting the item in quotations

Steve Herrod :

"grpWhoElseParticipated"

Steve Herrod :

and then following it with the + 1

Steve Herrod :

although the query isn't working on the copy of the database I have at the moment

Customer :

so write me the one expression. in the query I put nmPeopleAttendingThisEWYLSession: Count ("grpWhoElseParticipated" + 1)

Customer :

no, nmPeopleAttendingThisEWYLSession: Count ("grpWhoElseParticipated") + 1

Steve Herrod :

nmPeopleAttendingThisEWYLSession: Count ("grpWhoElseParticipated") + 1

Steve Herrod :

that should be the one

Customer :

okay, will try these. Can I contact you tomorrow if I am reach a snag. What time is good.

Steve Herrod :

sure - no problem

Customer :

Best time?

Steve Herrod :

Will be online from 2PM EST again

Steve Herrod :

so anytime after that which suits

Customer :

See you then if necessary, other wise will rate you then. Thank you for all your help

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Steve Herrod :

happy to help!