Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years

Recycle bin not responding

Customer Question

Recycle bin not responding
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXX XXX I am glad to assist you today.

Are you using Windows XP, Vista or 7?
Is the Recycle Bin not responding when you are deleting or moving file to the recycle bin?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i'm using 7, when i try to delete, it takes a long time for the process indicator to appear and after a while a message appears can not access file or something similar also when i try to open the bin, recycle bin not responding comes up. the icon on the desk top looks different it appears transparent, when i manage to delete an item from the desktop it doesn't show on the recycle bin page

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dieter,

Thank you for writing back with that information.

First, I highly recommend that you do the following cleanup procedures to ensure that your system is clean, safe, optimized and registry error free. This shall resolve your issue with your Recycle bin and in deleting and viewing deleted files in your Recycle bin. In fact, the cleanup procedures using the CCleaner tool removed deleted items from your Recycle Bin. If there are deleted items that are too huge ot big in file size that could have stuck the Recycle Bin, the cleanup can help you remove them to make your system work normally.

A. Cleanup with CCleaner

NOTE: If you are using a program named Roboform, please do not proceed with CCleaner cleanup. Roboform Data will be removed by CCleaner.

Please download the FREE version of CCleaner from this link:

Download FREE CCleaner Here or this link http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

After you download the free tool, install it and run the scans and tests. By default, it runs CLEANER to cleanup from all system mess which includes all unwanted files, temporary files, temporary internet files, orphaned files and more. Make sure that all this mess that the Cleaner program has detected is removed. This will free up some space in your hard drive while speeding up your system as well.

Next, run REGISTRY Cleaner and fix the found problems. Run this REGISTRY cleaner several times and fix the issues until no issues will be found.

In order to run the Registry cleanup mode, open CCleaner, then look at the left panel of the CCleaner window. Locate and click the Registry link there and that should give you the Registry cleanup mode. Then click on the Scan for issues button. When the scan reached 100%, click FIX issues to remove the errors from your system. Then click the Scan for issues again then FIX whenever issues are still found. When no issues are found, close CCleaner.

After the CCleaner cleanup, please proceed to the Malwarebytes cleanup to ensure that your system is free from malwares. Even though you have an active antivirus software, I still recommend performing the malwarebytes cleanup to remove malwares that your antivirus software can miss out.

B. Cleanup with Malwarebytes Antimalware

Please download the FREE version of Malwarebyte from this link:

Download FREE Malwarebytes Antimalware Here

After you download it, please install. During the FIRST RUN, when you are prompted for a TRIAL, you can just DECLINE. Then let it UPDATE.

After the updates are installed, please perform a QUICK SCAN. Then REMOVE all malicious files found and restart your computer as part of the removal process.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jess, I worked through your suggestions but unfortunately it did not resolve the problem with my recycle bin. Could you log on to my computer and find out what is wrong? Personally I am Computer illiterate.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dieter,

Thank you for writing back. Were you able to perform the 2 cleanup procedures successfully? Were you able to install CCleaner and run it to cleanup your system?

Keep me posted.

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jess,

yes i have installed the cleaner and anti malware programsand run them twice. the appearance of the icon is now normal but if i want to open it it comes back with "recycle bin not responding" .

as it is getting late here i will retire but leave the computer on line.

obviously i can not tick the smiley faces since my problem is nor resolved.

as i mentioned in my e-mail, if you are able to log on to my computer feel free to do so. i have backed up all my files on an external drive and disconnected the drives. i have tried to run my recovery disk without achieving a result. i also run Reg Cure Pro but my HP Help is crashing so you are my last resort.

Dieter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi Jess

yes i run two clean up operation and also a quick scan and a full scan for malware

Dieter

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dieter,

Thank you for writing back. I am sorry but I do not have any remote access permission here. I hope we can resume with this method of communication.

If it is very late in your country now, we can resume any time then. I will provide further procedures for you to try.

The very first procedures now will be resetting your Recycle Bin folder. Please note that by default, each disk drive in your computer has a hidden and protected folder named $Recycle.bin, which is where the Recycle Bin stores files and folders that you (and other users in the PC) delete. When you reset this folder, Windows creates a fresh $Recycle.bin folder automatically.

Here are the steps:
  1. Open an elevated Command Prompt. This is done by going to Start => All Programs => Accessories => LOCATE Command Prompt, DO NOT click on it yet.
  2. Instead, right-click on it then click on "Run as Administrator"
  3. Here is my screen shot:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

4. Click on YES or OK when prompted to confirm the action
  5. In the black command window that opens, type this command then press the Enter key to execute:

rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

6. Here is my screen shot:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

7. After the command is executed, you shall get back to the prompt
  8. Type Exit then press Enter to close the command prompt
  9. Restart the computer then test if the Recycle Bin problem is now gone

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jess,

I have tried and tried your suggestion of re-installing the recycle bin the result is as follows. to open the bin takes a long time (2 min +) when deleting from the external hard drive after a time i get a message "cant read from source file or disk" i can delete from My Docs but it takes a long tome to empty the bin. i am able to transfer from external hard drive to my computer. i tried to re-install the recycle bin in "G:" without success. on top of it i am getting frustrated. unfortunately i have no system disk only a recovery disk. i have an XP disk would that help?

Dieter

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dieter,

What did you mean by you "tried to re-install recycle bin in G:"? Each drive has its own recycle bin by default. The ones that you have in your Desktop is the Recycle Bin for your Drive C.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What i did was after installing rd/s/q C:\$Recycle.bin, i substituted G: for C: again it didn't make any difference

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Dieter,

The command I gave you was to RESET the Recycle Bin folder in case it is corrupted. Substituting G for C will only RESET the Recycle Bin of Drive G instead of Drive C's Recycle Bin.

Please try the command again and do not change C. Then test your Recycle Bin again.

If the problem continues, the next procedure will be doing a Disk Defragment and CheckDisk. I will give you these steps after retrying the command.

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jess, I still get the not responding message, i defraged a few days ago

Dieter

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dieter,

At this point, please try to defrag your Drive C. Before you defrag, choose Analyze button so that Windows can prompt you to Defrag or not based on the actual fragmentation of your Drive C.

For more details on this process, please click on this link:
http://technicalforum.org/how-tos/how-defragment-drive-c

After the defragment process, please do a Check Disk. Details of this procedures are found in this link:

http://technicalforum.org/how-tos/how-run-check-disk-repair-your-hard-disk-drive

If the problem continues after these procedures, the next thing that we can do is to create a NEW user account of type Administrator. Let us see if the problem is gone when using the NEW user account. This proves then that the current user profile is corrupted. We can then copy or move all your data and settings from the original corrupted user profile to the NEW user profile.

Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jess, I have de-fragmented the C Drive and also run scandisk. No improvement. You better walk me through for a new admin. I will not do anything tonight but continue tomorrow.

till then Dieter

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dieter,

Yes, please take your time. I will post the procedures now but you can surely try them tomorrow when you are available.

The logic here is that, your current user profile could have been corrupted causing some problems to show up like this recycle bin issue. We will create a NEW user account, restart the computer then login using the NEW user account. There test if the recycle bin works normally. All of your old files and data are intact in the original account, do not worry.

If all is well in the NEW account, we can then copy all of your data and files in the original account to the NEW user account.

Here are the steps:
  1. Click Start => Control Panel
  2. Open "User Accounts"
  3. Click on "Manage another account"
  4. Then click on "Create a new account"
  5. Give it a name, then choose "Administrator", not a standard user
  6. Then click on Create Account button
  7. When done, close all windows then restart the computer
  8. In the login screen, please choose the newly created account
  9. Give it some time to initialize. When done, the entire screen will be new and all your OLD files will not be shown (unless you browse your drive, do not worry)
  10. Now, please test if your Recycle Bin works normally including all other programs

Keep me posted.

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jess, The new administrator works a treat. Now please advise how I can transfer my programs from my old account to my new account also how can i protect my new account with a password XX that was not asked for.

Regards Dieter

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Dieter,

Thank you for writing back. I am glad that the NEW user account works perfectly. This proves that the old account was somewhat corrupted.

Now, you can set a password XXX your NEW user account. Here are the steps:
  1. Use your computer using the NEW user account. Or restart the computer then login to the NEW user account.
  2. Then go to Control Panel => User accounts.
  3. Then click the option to "Create a password XXX your account"
  4. Here is my screen shot:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

5. Now, your new account will be protected by that password.

Now, the NEXT big thing that we need to do is to COPY all of your data FROM the original profile TO the new user profile.

Here are the steps in quick reference:

1. Create a THIRD user account of type Administrator. You will then end up with 3 user accounts:

• Original account (corrupted)
    • The NEW user account (working)
    • Third account (temporary)

2. Login to the Third user account (NOT the original nor the NEW account, BUT the third temporary account)
  3. Copy the data FROM the original TO the NEW account

Note here that you need the Third account so that you can DO the copying. You cannot copy those data if you are logged in to the account that you are copying.

Now, for the very detailed procedures of the quick steps I gave you above, please click on this link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

In your case, you need to click on "My computer is in a workgroup" fot the appropriate procedures.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the
information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HJess, thanks for the info. I will start to reconcile and fix my computer early next week. When i am finished i will rate each individual reply

but for now I try to have a pleasant weekend and stay inside as our outside temp is 40+ .

regards Dieter

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Oh Dieter, no problem. Please take your time and we can resume with this any time when you are available..

Best regards,
Jess