Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I just downloaded microsoft home and office 2010. Excel and

Customer Question

I just downloaded microsoft home and office 2010. Excel and powerpoint will both open, but Word will not open.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.
  1. Are you using Windows XP, Vista or 7?
  2. Also, are you getting any error message when Word fails to open? Or nothing just happens when you try to open Word?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am using Vista. When I try to open, I get the word "rectangle" and it says, " starting..." but doesn't open. Sometimes I get the message "not responding... open in safe mode?" When I click "yes,' it still does not open.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lucy,

Thank you for that information. By the way, do you still have the old Word 2007 install? Or you uninstalled Word 2007 before you installed Word 2010?

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I uninstalled Word 2007.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lucy,

Thank you for that confirmation.

Do you have Endnote installed? Please check your Start => Control Panel => Programs and Features and see if Endnote is listed there. If it is, please uninstall it then restart your computer.

Another way is to force MS Word to open in Safe Mode. Locate the MS Word launcher or icon, then press the CTRL ley and hold it then double click the MS Word icon to open it while the CTRL key is pressed.

Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have Endnote. I followed your steps to open in safe mode.

But Word would still not open

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Lucy,

Please do these steps this time:
  1. Locate the MS Word shortcut or launcher
  2. Right click on it then click on "Run as Administrator"
  3. When prompted, click on OK or YES to confirm the action
  4. Now, if you don't see the "Run as Administrator" command when you right click the MS Word icon, please click on Properties instead
  5. Then click on the "Compatibility" tab
  6. Then check the option "Run this program as an Administrator"
  7. Click Apply
  8. Click OK
  9. Now, double click on the MS Word icon to open it then click on OK or YES when prompted to confirm the action

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already tried this, but I did try it again - doesn't work.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried to Repair the installation in Control Panel?
Also, have you tried to boot the computer into Safe Mode then try opening MS Word there? Restart the computer then press and keep tapping the F8 key until you see the Advanced Boot options. Choose Safe Mode there then try to open MS Word in Safe Mode then see if it opens successfully there.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried to Repair with no results. I tried opening in safe mode and while Word (also Powerpoint and Excel) opened, I got this message:

MS Office cannot verify the license for this application. A repair attempt failed or was canceled by the user. The application will shut down.

So, I could not use any of them in safe mode.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Lucy,

Please reboot the computer into Normal mode (do not press F8 when starting up) then do these steps:
  1. Click Start => Search
  2. In the search box, type: services.msc
  3. In the shown results, click on Services.msc
  4. In the services dialog box that opens, please locate teh service named "Office Software Protection Platform Service"
  5. Is the service Started? If not, right click on it then click on Start
  6. When it is Started, right click on it then click on Properties then set the Startup type to AUTOMATIC
  7. Click Apply
  8. Click OK
  9. Then restart the computer then test MS Word

Regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am afraid this did not work either. When I had Word 2007, I could open it in safe mode(without the computer being in safe mode). I could also save to W 2007 but could not open any word files.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried the procedures that I gave you? Were you able to locate the specified service? There are two other procedures that we can try here. First, clean installation after a thorough system cleanup. Second is creating and using a new user profile since your current user profile could have been corrupted.

Please let know so that we can proceed.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried every procedure that you have given me, following all
directions thoroughly. Unfortunately, none of them have resulted in MS word starting.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lucy,

Thank you for writing back.

At this point, I suggest that you create a NEW user account of type Administrator. This is to test if your current user profile is corrupted. If it is corrupted, then MS Word will open flawlessly in the NEW user account. From there, we can MOVE all of your data and files from the corrupted user profile TO the NEW user profile and make that new user profile the permanent user.

Please do the following:
  1. Click Start => Control Panel
  2. Open User Accounts
  3. Click on Manage another account
  4. Then click on Create a new account
  5. Give it a name then choose "Administrator", not a standard user
  6. Then click the Create account button
  7. When created successfully, close all windows then restart the computer
  8. In the login screen, login using the NEW user account
  9. Give it some time to load and initialize
  10. When done, test MS Word from there and see if it works just fine

Keep me posted.

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand: does this "Rate to Finish" mean that you have given up in trying to solve my problem?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lucy,

Thank you for writing back. No, I did not give up on your problem. In fact, I recently posted new procedures for you to try and from there we can proceed.

I believe it is our site's feature prompting you or our customers to rate. But you can rate my service later when we are done.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thanks. I did create a new account. Interestingly, this is what happened:

I could open MSWord. I did a small test document and saved it. Then I closed MS Word and tried to open the test document. I could not. I also could not open a word file on a flashdrive when MS Word was open. I closed it, then, when I tried to open MS Word again, it opened, but stopped responding. Finally, I was able to close it. Then it would not open at all.

I really do appreciate all your help. Please don't give up.

I will be gone until about 2:00.

Lucy

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lucy,

Thank you for your patience. I see that even in the newly created account MS Word is still giving you problems.

Can you please try this:
  1. Restart the computer then sign in using the original user account
  2. Uninstall MS Word (I believe you have teh DVD to reinstall it)
  3. After the removal, please perform the CCleaner cleanup and allow CCleaner to remove the registry errors and the unwanted files that it finds
  4. After that, restart the computer again
  5. Then perform Windows Updates. Go to Start => Control Panel => Windows Updates
  6. Please check if there are available updates and allow Windows install them
  7. After installing the updates if there are, restart the computer again
  8. Then RE-INSTALL your MS Office program

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I copied MS Office onto DVD so I can uninstall then reinstall. However,

I do not know what CCleaner is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not know what CCleaner is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I found "Clean Up Files" - is this the same as CCleaner?

It prompts me to choose Drives: C or HP_Recovery(D).

Which should I choose?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lucy,

I am sorry if I did not include the CCleaner cleanup procedures. Here are the actual steps:

Cleanup with CCleaner

NOTE: If you are using a program named Roboform, please do not proceed with CCleaner cleanup. Roboform Data will be removed by CCleaner.

Please download the FREE version of CCleaner from this link:

Download FREE CCleaner Here or this link http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

After you download the free tool, install it and run the scans and tests. By default, it runs CLEANER to cleanup from all system mess which includes all unwanted files, temporary files, temporary internet files, orphaned files and more. Make sure that all this mess that the Cleaner program has detected is removed. This will free up some space in your hard drive while speeding up your system as well.

Next, run REGISTRY Cleaner and fix the found problems. Run this REGISTRY cleaner several times and fix the issues until no issues will be found.

In order to run the Registry cleanup mode, open CCleaner, then look at the left panel of the CCleaner window. Locate and click the Registry link there and that should give you the Registry cleanup mode. Then click on the Scan for issues button. When the scan reached 100%, click FIX issues to remove the errors from your system. Then click the Scan for issues again then FIX whenever issues are still found. When no issues are found, close CCleaner.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I followed all the previous instructions. Now I cannot reinstall MS Office from the DVD that I had copied it to.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Lucy,

Are you in the original user account? If so, please try to login to the NEW user account then try to install MS Office there.

By the way, what exactly is the error message that you are getting when installation fails?

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not getting an error message. I load the disk, it shows the contents, then I don't know where to go from there to install.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok. I thought the installation is giving you an error. I believe that the DVD did not play automatically. In this case, please try to install MS Office manually by following these steps:
  1. Load the DVD where you copied the installer of MS Office
  2. Click Start => Computer
  3. Locate the drive there with the disc icon. It can be Drive D, E, F or others as long as it shows the DVD or disc icon
  4. Double click on that drive to open the contents of the DVD
  5. When you see the contents, please double click on the file that you copied to the DVD to start the installation

I hope that helped.

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I open the disk the files shown are blank. Double clicking doesn't open anything. I must have done something wrong. I copied all the MS files, but did not see any "installer: to copy.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Lucy,

Did you copy the installer that you downloaded from the internet? Which files did you copy to the DVD? Can you please describe how you did the copy or which folder did you copy?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did not copy the installer. I just copied the MS Office folder: I clicked on the folder and copied everything in the folder to the DVD.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Which folder? Is it in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am re-downloading everything from Microsoft. It will take a while.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is good to know that. Please take your time.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I fixed all the issues, re-installed MS Office. Ms Word still will not open.

I get a message "A program needs your permission to open, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Corporation." I click Allow, but no results.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lucy,

Thank you for writing back. Have you tried to "Run as Administrator" your newly installed MS Word?

Right click on MS Word icon, then choose Run as Administrator. If there is no "Run as Administrator option when you right click, right click on MS Word icon then click on Properties. Under Comaptibility tab. check the option "Run this program as Administrator. Click Apply then click OK. Run MS Word.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no compatability tab under properties. The tabs are General, Shortcut, Security, Details. Under Security is Group/Users names. This is what I used before when you said to run as Administrator. I clicked on Administrator/Owner for users, then hit OK. The Apply did not highlight to click. This time I noticed that when I went back, Administrator/Owner did not "take;" it had gone back to Everyone as users.

(Earlier, you said to find MS shortcut or launcher to run as administrator.

Is this the same as the MS Word icon?)

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lucy,

Yes, I was referring to the MS Word icon. Please right click on it then click on Properties. In the dialog box that opens, click on the Compatibility tab and follow the rest of the procedures that I gave you.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no compatibility tab under properties. If I click on Shortcut, then Advanced, I get a Advanced Properties window that has Run in Separate Memory Space (checked) or Run as Administrator. It won't let me check Run as Administrator.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Lucy,

Are you signed in using the original user account? Or the NEW user account? I believe that you were able to "Run as Administrator" your MS Word before, correct? Are you saying that now that option is gone?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am signed in using the original user account. I am saying that either I was not really able to run as Administrator before, or I can't recall how I actually did run as Administrator before (I am sorry if this sounds so stupid; I am sick right now).

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lucy,

I am sorry about that. Let us check if your current user account is an Administrator or not. You installed CCleaner right? If you have CCleaner icon in your desktop, please right click on it then check if one of the options is "Run as Administrator".

Here is my screen shot:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Also, to check further, please go to Start => Control Panel then open User accounts. Is your current user account listed as Administrator?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Both indicate Administrator.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Lucy,

Now, are you saying that when you right click on the icon for CCleaner, you see "Run as Administrator" option?

Also, please try to restart the computer then login using the NEW user account then test Word there if it works just fine or not.

Let me know.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, when I right click on CCleaner, I get "Run as Admin." option.

Using NEW user account:

1st try: Word opened in safe mode; I tried to open previous test file;

Word stopped responding and the screen faded. Closed

program.

2nd try: Word opened in regular mode (!); tried to open test file; Word

stopped responding. Closed program.

3rd try: Word opened in regular mode; wrote and saved test doc 2.

Closed program.

4th and subsequent tries: Word would not open in safe or regular

mode.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Lucy,

Have you tried to check if in the NEW user account, you can run MS Word as Administrator? Right click Word icon then click on Properties. Click Compatibility tab then check the option to Run it as administrator.

One more thing, is your Windows updated? Please try to go to Start => Control Panel then open Windows Updates. Install any updates that Windows is recommending.

Let me know.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I re-downloaded MS Office, everything was updated.

Again,there is no compatibility tab under properties. The only tabs are General, Shortcut, Security, and Details. So, I cannot "Run as

Administrator." Is there another place to do this?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Please run MS Word as Administrator this way:
  1. Click Start => Search
  2. In the Search box, type: winword.exe
  3. DO NOT press Enter. Give it a moment and wait for Winword.exe to be displayed
  4. When you see it, right click on it and see if there is an option to "Run as Administrator"
  5. Here is my screen shot:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For both original and NEW user I was able to run each as Administrator following last directions. Word would still not open.

However, under NEW user account, I could open Word once, only once in safe mode. I could write and save a file, but not open a file: this caused the program to stop responding.

After closing the program, I could not open it again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is upsetting (maybe useful): I tried to create an attendance spreadsheet on Excel (I am a teacher). It would open, and allow me to use it, then save. After I closed the program, I could not open the file I had created. I tried opening Excel and then opening the file and the program stopped responding, and the screen faded. It seems the problem is bigger than Word.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lucy,

Is your version of Windows up-to-date? Please try the Windows Updates prcedures that I gave you. Go to Control Panel => Windows Updates and then check if there are pending updates.

If you were able to install the Windows updates, restart the computer then try MS Office again.

If the problem continues, please try to temporarily disable all startup programs and services. One of these programs could have blocked your MS Office programs at runtime. Remember, you just need to disable them, so you can enable them back any time.

To disable some programs at startup, please do the following:

1. Click on Start => RUN
  2. You can also get the RUN box by going to Start => All Programs => Accessories => RUN or by simply pressing the Windows Logo key and pressing the letter R (Win Logo + R)
  3. In the RUN box, type this command and click OK: msconfig
  4. You shall see then the System Configuration dialog window
  5. Click on the SERVICES tab
  6. Click to select the option "Hide Microsoft services"
  7. Then click DISABLE ALL button
  8. Then click the STARTUP tab
  9. Then click on DISABLE ALL button
  10. This should disable all listed startup programs at startup so all the checks there should disappear. However, please locate your Antivirus software there and click on it to restore the check mark.
  11. Then click APPLY
  12. Click OK to close the System Configuration window
  13. Restart your computer.
  14. When you are prompted with a pop up window regarding the changes you made with the System Configuration Utility, please cancel it or close it.
  15. Then test if the system is now gaining some speed and then test your MS Word
If the problem continues, please try to temporarily disable your antivirus software.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All the windows updates are downloaded. I followed your steps to disable startup programs. After restarting, Word would still not open.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lucy,

Thank you for writing back and thank you for your patience. The next thing that we can try here is to RENAME your MS Word's global template which is normally called "Normal.dotm". If your system is set to show file extensions, then you shall see it as "Normal.dotm", otherwise, it will only be shown as "Normal". However, the "Type" column or information should say something like "Microsoft Office Word Macro-Enabled Template".

Here is my screen shot:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Now, please do these steps:
  1. Close MS Word
  2. Click Start => All Programs => Accessories => RUN
  3. In the RUN box, copy and paste this path:

%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

4. Then click on OK button or press Enter
  5. Here is my screen shot:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

6. You will get a new explorer window showing all templates there like the first screen shot that I gave you above
  7. Locate Normal.dotm there, then rename it to OLDNormal.dotm by just appending OLD to the name
  8. Now, close all windows
  9. Open MS Word then test if it works this time

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MS Word opened the first try, I did a test doc, saved it. Then, MS Word would not open again.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Lucy,

You renamed the file Normal.dotm INTO something like OLDNormal.dotm. Now, please go back to the Templates folder again and see if there is a NEW file called Normal.dotm. So you need to end up with 2 DOTM files:
  1. Normal.dotm (which is recreated by MS Word since you renamed the original) and
  2. OLDNormal.dotm (the originally renamed file)

Please check if you have these 2 files.

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, there are these two files.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Lucy,

What about the other programs like Excel and PowerPoint? Are they working normally?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Excel will open, create, and save. But then will not open any saved files.

I haven't used Powerpoint.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
I believe that your Windows Vista has the recent updates.

Now, please click on this link:
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9785450

In the File Download dialog box that opens, click Run and then follow the steps in the Fix it Wizard. If there is no RUN options, click on SAVE then save the file then double click on the saved or downloaded file to automatically diagnose and repair the MS Word issues.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After running the Fix IT Wizard it showed that it had detected and fixed Default printer, Addins, and Local User Preference Settings for Word.

Then, Word opened twice, I could create and save, but could not open any word files. After that, Word would not open.

(How can it open sometimes and then not anymore?)

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Lucy,

Did you restart the computer after running the FixIt tool? Please try to restart the computer then test Word. If the problem continues, please try to run the FixIt tool again and see if it finds nothing to correct at this time.

For the other options that you can try, please click on this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked the Com Add-Ins; there was only one, and it had no effect.

I originally went microsoft support before contacting you, and just seemed to go from page to page with nothing addressing the problem.

There seems to be no solution to this problem.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Lucy,

When you ran the FixIt tool for the second time, did it report about an error again?

Jess