Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Trained in Microsoft Office from 2000 through to latest version 2010.
65126503

I am on an imac and all my microsoft office appliaction have

I am on an imac and all my microsoft office appliaction have stopped working i get this message word quit unexpectedly - i guess I need to reinstall the suite, is there any way I can get the licenses and not pay again?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 1 year ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue

Steve Herrod :

can you let me know what version of OSX is installed?

Steve Herrod :

if you go to the Apple menu and then choose About this Mac it should be listed there

Steve Herrod :

also - is this Office 2011 or 2008 that is installed?

Customer:

10.8.2 osx

Customer:

office 2011

Steve Herrod :

Thanks

Steve Herrod :

Reinstalling may be the quickest way but this shouldn't require any relicensing

Steve Herrod :

as that should be automatic over the interner

Steve Herrod :

internet

Steve Herrod :

do you have the Office 2011 DVD?

Customer:

how do I get the software

Steve Herrod :

did you download it originally or was it pre-installed?

Customer:

i think it was preinstalled oin my imac

Steve Herrod :

ok - that's a little trickier then

Steve Herrod :

are all the office applications giving the same issue 'quit unexpectedly'?

Customer:

I think I have found the software on disc!

Steve Herrod :

ah ok :)

Customer:

yes I havbe it

Steve Herrod :

ok - do you have a record of the product key at all

Steve Herrod :

is it stamped on the disc?

Customer:

yes

Steve Herrod :

ok - that should be all you need to reinstall then as the activation will be internet based and the Microsoft servers should recognize your system as licensed

Steve Herrod :

I would take a backup of the Outlook identity as well before restoring

Steve Herrod :

if you use Outlook that is?

Customer:

i dont

Steve Herrod :

ok - then in that case it would just be a case of uninstalling and then reinstalling from the DVD

Customer:

i am installing software now

Steve Herrod :

ok

Customer:

oh - how do I uninstall - the system just ejected my disc

Steve Herrod :

ok - I would follow these steps:

Steve Herrod :

Download and run the script below to remove Office 2011 (this will remove older versions of Office too) The script does not remove preferences nor your Identity.

Steve Herrod :

once that has been run you can then do this

Steve Herrod :

drag the Microsoft Office 2011 folder in Applications to trash and delete

Steve Herrod :

and then you should be able to reinstall from the disc

Customer:

done that am trying the disc again

Steve Herrod :

ok

Customer:

its writing files

Steve Herrod :

ok

Customer:

it says there are 48 minutes to go!

Steve Herrod :

can take a while to copy/write files

Steve Herrod :

I'll still be online then if you need to do something else in menatime

Customer:

thanks

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Customer:

it is telling me that I have to quit safari, i can go online on another computer in the meantime if we can hook up through that

Steve Herrod :

yes, that should work fine

Steve Herrod :

if you have the link to this chat

Steve Herrod :

if you log in to justanswer.com on the other machine and choose My Questions in top right hand corner you should be able to get here

Customer:

Thanks - seem to have re installed and the programmes are loadin up fine - thanks for holding my hand!

Experience: Trained in Microsoft Office from 2000 through to latest version 2010.