jnayes, Computer Support
Experience:  Network Administrator

I have an error popping up " assembly registration

I have an error popping up " assembly registration utility has stopped working"

Need a little bit of info before I can help you troubleshoot.

Can you please tell me the version of Windows you are using? Xp, Vista, 7?

Also, I'll need to know what program you are trying to run that causes the .net framework to crash (or if it's random). Programs that tend to cause issues, like quickbooks for example.

Let me know and we'll go from there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am running Windows 7. When I came in this morning and turned my laptop on it said it didn't shutdown properly and wanted to set back to an earlier version, rebooted and signed on and when I went to use my Dymo printer it errored out so I uninstalled the Dymo program and tried to reinstall it but it won't work and that message comes up when trying to install it.

Below these steps will be a rating system. Please note, it is NOT to be used until your issue is resolved. If for whatever reason, the first steps do not work or meet your expectations, use the REPLY button to let me know and we will continue until you are satisfied. You can still reach me after rating as well, once the initial inquiry is completed.

Alright John, the procedure I'm going to give you is far easier than it appears. Just try to follow my instructions to the letter and we should be alright. Basically, the .net framework (set of tools that some software relies on) is likely corrupt. It happens more often than it should.

What we want to do is completely remove it, then reinstall it clean, THEN install your dymo software from there.

First, you'll need the .net removal tool:

Click this link:

Open it, and run the removal tool. Select all versions of .net available, and continue with the removal. Restart when prompted. To return to me after the restart, either click the link in your email (easiest way) or bookmark/favorite this page.

Once it's removed, come back here and download the .net framework from this location:

Install it/run it until completion, then restart one last time.

Afterwards, attempt to install the Dymo software again and see if the error is still present. If it still doesn't install or you need any clarification just let me know via REPLY. Either way though I'd like to know the results good or bad. This process will take a little bit of time so if I don't respond right away, no worries, I will the very moment I can.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It still came up with that error and didn't install properly

Would you be interested in a remote session so I can look at it directly. It may not be the .net service entirely, and it's better we not just do trial and error at this point.

There's no additional charge to do this.

Please let me know and I will post instructions to make the connection.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Click the link that will be provided below. Click Run Remote Desktop. Click Allow/Continue to any prompts you receive. You MAY have to run/open the file it downloads as well should it not connect fairly quickly.

Once in, I will open a chat box for us to communicate. If you run into any trouble please reply back to me and let me know.

The link is here:

For chrome or firefox, it will download a file named Elisnore that will need to be run.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

IT doesn't seem to want to connect to that link. It just continues to cycle but not connect

The file needs to be run.

This one:

You can download it and run it there as well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The download from that site is failing

The only way that portion would fail is if you missed my last step of installing the .net framework.

Ironically, our software also uses it.

Download this tool:

Run it. All .net frameworks will be listed, click Verify for each one, confirming success.

Let me know which ones fail, and which ones succeed. There's about 5-6.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All 5 succeeded

.NET Framework 2.0 SP2

.NET Framework 3.0 SP2

.NET Framework 3.5 SP1

.NET Framework 4 Client

.NET Framework 4 Full

You should have no problems with remote.

I'm going to trigger a remote through Java this time, and see if you can connect that way. Same process, this time running the file should use java instead of .net though.

This is the new link:
Alright, forget remote.

The error you're having is pretty severe when the .net framework is actually functional.

I'd like you to try to reverse the system restore.

To do this, go to start > all programs > accessories > system tools > system restore.

You should have the option to "undo" the last restore point. I don't believe the restore wa snecessary the first time. Probably just a glitch, and had you just restarted normally it would have started up. Usually a startup failure is a windows update that doesn't load properly (when it's random like this and nothing happened to the system previously).

Attempt to undo the system restore,t hen return to me and reply letting me know if Dymo has reloaded and is functioning.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That seemed to load everything back correctly. Hopefully

Good, it's better than the requirements of repairing a failed assembly.

Give it a few more restarts (just to be sure).

Then return to me and let me know all is well. At that time you can rate the assistance I have provided below as well (smiley's). You can still reply to me afterwards at anytime, I just want to make sure you test to make sure the system is stable.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will do thanks

My pleasure.

In the future, always try to start the machine once normally even if it fails to start the first time before considering a system restore. While it CAN save you sometimes, it also (as you know) make things much worse.