Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn.
19897260

I do have a Microsoft Office Pack installed on an Apple MacBook

Customer Question

I do have a Microsoft Office Pack installed on an Apple MacBook Pro.

In an Excel workbook I created a new sheet. Now I am in the "name of sheet" piece at the bottom and the programme keeps telling me that I have not entered a correct name of the sheet. NO matter what I try it wont accept any name suggestion. It wont let me go to other sheets. Stocked.

I am afraid loosing the workbook (with other valuable sheets) if I force quit.

What to do ?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name is Dustin and I am here to help.

Please check the first two steps on this page.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2026096

Note that you cant save a worksheet name with commas, semicolons, quotes, etc..

That alone may be the issue.. After checking the first two steps on that page, if you still cannot save.. Let me know.

I strive to provide great service. Please remember to click one of the rating icons below and submit it when you are satisfied. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S. Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, Would a name like "Apple" for the sheer be OK for the system?

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
As long as you dont use the " " signs.. It would be fine... ( macs have different file naming requirements then pc's, PC's allow many more naming options )

try apple, or try test sheet

and lets see if you can save... If you cant save with simple names like t hat.. That could represent another issue such as, where the file is trying to save.. ( we want it to save to mac hd )

So let me know if it wont accept that name and we will continue as needed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

whatever name I give the sheet - with plain letters only - the systems say name is invalid and continue to be frozen / wont let me perform other functions

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. When your naming the file to save it.

what location is it showing you saving the file to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the problem is "naming the sheet" in the workbook. This is the function where the system has frozen.

it wont let me get out of the bottom function in the workbook (file) where it request me to name the new sheet

almost all other Excel functions - including saving the workbook (file) are therefore currently not accessable

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
I misunderstood you earlier.

Sheet names have different criteria

• A name cannot exceed 31 characters in length

• The following characters cannot be used \ / ? : * [ ]

• A worksheet name cannot be blank

And none of the sheet names can be the same exact names..

You could try pressing F1 or escape to back out of t he naming window though.. That may at least allow you to save the entire document, so that we can see if this is an error in excels preferenc files or program files.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

well - we are getting a little closer

What you say above is exactly the same a the system keep telling me in a message box that keeps coming up everytime I tryd to respond to exactly that message - which I have done now probably 50 times during the last couple of hours

what else can we do

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I solved the problem - I just pushed esc

thanks

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
I was hoping the last sentence of the last message I sent would help.

"You could try pressing F1 or escape to back out of t he naming window though.. That may at least allow you to save the entire document, so that we can see if this is an error in excels preferenc files or program files.""

Now that you have backed out of the sheet naming window.. Save your document just to be certain you can save ..

If you can save, then if you want we can continue working on repairing excel.. As you may just have a permissions issue or preference file that is corrupted.