Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Auth Microsoft Partner, exp. with MS Office and Office 365.
63083622

My checking acct info is kept in excel. 2 days ago I dis

Customer Question

My checking acct info is kept in excel. 2 days ago I discovered a formula had been changed so different figures were projected. Also one night while typing a letter in Word, a strange activity occurred: the very sentences I was typing appeared to be "lifted" and copied? what was happening? I suspect a computer snoop? any ideas?

I have Office Home and Student 2010

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

Wes :

Can you be a little more specific about what you mean by "lifted and copied?"

Customer:

It's been mos ago now that such an event occurred so my memory of the details of the event are not clear.As I was typing in one area of the screen--another view appeared that showed what I was typing but some info was omitted---like the info was being reviewed and edited in a different display.

Wes :

The behavior you are describing could have been caused by an "accessibility" feature that you may have inadvertently turned on. These features are supposed to make it easier for people with disabilities to use computers. They do things like magnify the area of the screen you are working in. To help rule out any viruses or foul play, please download and install Microsoft Security Essentials from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download

Wes :

Once it has installed run a full scan and that should take care of anything that someone might be using to monitor you.

Wes :

Let me know if that satisfies your question or if you would like more assistance on this matter.

Customer:

Before downloading the program, what about the "changed" formula in Excel?

Wes :

Can you tell me more about how it was changed? Again if someone had used a remote access virus to invade your computer, the Security Essentials software will take care of that. Also, have you changed it back so it produces the correct figures?

Customer:

The formula changed in the middle of the column. yes I corrected the formula by using the formula at the top of the column.I was previously advised that it's difficult to prove/determine if there is a snoop on your computer. This morning I did find my computer monitor "out of place" on the desk.There have been items missing from this house also.

Wes :

Well check the computer over to make sure there aren't any unusual boxes or devices attached to it that weren't there before. Also, install the program that I mentioned. If they installed anything on the computer when they were there, that should take care of it.

Wes :

Did you need further assistance with this?

Wes, Consultant
Experience: Auth Microsoft Partner, exp. with MS Office and Office 365.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

About 2 days ago I unplugged and replugged wires in the outlet.I was just trying to straighten up wires. When I restarted my computer,there was a mssg on bottom bar - like big red X and mssg that sound system was not running. But sound was ok on internet and elsewhere.I called a computer lady, she is in the dark---especially regarding "system sound" not running.I left for work.When I returned home, mssg was gone. I still believer there is a computer snoop. But I need to download the program you sent. Also, i looked at computer space this morning.Factory Image D show 1.67 gb free of 11.6 gb. Is that normal? I never use "D'" . what is happening?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is my 2nd mssg to you. There is a problem. 2 days ago after unplugging and plugging back computer wires to wall socket, there was a mssg at bottom of screen indicating "sound system not running" but sounds were working on internet etc. I called computer lady who is stumped about such a mssg. I believe this is evidence of computer snoop. I still need to download the program u gave.

Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.
The sound issue is really a separate issue which you should probably submit as a separate question. The side-benefit to doing that is it will allow live-chat for that issue which will make it much easier for an expert to work on with you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank u for responding. Also today I noticed "Windows Aero" instead of Windows 7 under properties box: preview desktop using Aero Peek?

Is this correct lingo for Windows 7 software?