Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years

Using Microsoft Word 2010 - I am webmaster for a

Using Microsoft Word 2010 - I am webmaster for a not for profit corporation and the website is If you click on the link and then on the website Events you will see a calendar. The problem is a lot of white boxes.

The organizatiob editor sends me the file in 97-2003 doc. I open the file and save to XXXXX Filtered. I rename the file events.htm. Word opens and when clicked warns me YES is impending doom. I ignore this and continue for three or four YES and then open the file and save again.

This used to work fine. I tried using Windows 7 and Windows 8. The same dismal results.

The LAN is being reorganized. I deleted all from my section of the FTP site, and I upload all folders and files that were saved before reorganization. There should not be any aberrant code on the FTP site now.

I cannot give you FTP access but you can feel free to View Source. Any idras?
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Can you please upload the original MS Word document where this events.html originated? If it is possible, please upload it to this site:

No need to register in that site. Just upload and wait for the 6-digit File ID to appear. Then post the 6-digit File ID when you reply so that I can download the MS Word file.

Best regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

449876 much larger than 100 bytes.

Hi Gerald,

I got your file. The calendar has formats that cannot be retained in an HTML layout. Can you allow me to re-design the calendar and convert it to HTML so that you can just post it in your site?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes you may redesign the calendar but since this occurs every month I would be appreciative if you give me systematic instructions on what you did. I also will have to know what Word format the file is in, for example, Filtered or doc.

Yes, please give me a moment while I redesign the document. I will get back to you with the first result.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Take your time. Can you tell me what the editor did incorrect so that I can inform her.

It was the excessive use of the space bar to align text. It was also the use of underline to exceeds the borders.

I am trying to layout using tables of tabs for alignment purposes.

One moment please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If possible, please let me download the document in doc

Hi Gerald,

Thank you for waiting. Like I said a while ago, the cause of the problem is the excessive use of space bar to align text and the use of underline. They break the HTML formatting.

Please download the revised versions below in Filtered HTML format: to email B-W in Arial_rev1.htm

The revised document can be downloaded here: to email B-W in Arial_rev1.doc

The solution for the HTML problem is to avoid using space bar to align text and to avoid using underline to create a bottom-border. It is ideal to use a table instead.

In the calendar layout that I did in your calendar, I need to align the first row so I made 4 colums and then the next row which supposed to have 4 columns, I merged the 4 columns to make it a single row.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Best regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you have a copy of the doc document or should I tell the editor to save in filtered?

I already sent you the DOC copy, that was the second download link. Here it is: to email B-W in Arial_rev1.doc

Now, if you create a NEW calendar in the coming months, just revise the contents of the DOC file.

When done revising, save it, still as DOC.

Now, if you sre ready to publish it in your site, you need to SAVE AS the file as a Filtered HTML.

Then upload the HTML file into your server. That should work.