Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I am trying to load MS office Pro 2007 but keep getting the

Customer Question

I am trying to load MS office Pro 2007 but keep getting the message 'cannot find file c/program data/microsoft/wnidows/startmenu/programs/microsoftoffice etc what can I do??
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

1. Are you using Windows XP, Vista or 7?
  2. Are you trying to open or run MS Office 2007 programs?
  3. Or are you trying to install MS Office 2007?
  4. If you are trying to install (NOT run because in order to run or open MS Office programs like Word, Excel, etc., you need to first install it), are you installing it from a DVD installation disc?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Windows 7

upload new office pro 2007, was using old one but it had expired from too many computers!

Trying to install from new dvd disc

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Brian,

Thank you for writing back.

So you are saying that you are trying to INSTALL MS Office 2007 using a DVD disc. Is this what you meant by "upload"?

Are you saying that NO MS Office is currently installed in your system? When you say "install", you are to put a program in your computer. When the program is installed, you can then RUN it. So are you saying that you are having problem in installing the program? Or from running the program after it has been installed?

Let me know.
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, trying to install a new version ofMS office 2007. It will not install. Gets most of the way there and then sends me a message to say it cannot find the file I quoted. I had previously installed an old copy of Office 7 npro but it never worked properly as I had run out of usage.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Brian,

Thank you for that confirmation.

First, please go to Start => Control Panel then go to Programs and Features or Uninstall a Program.

Then locate your MS Office 2007 Pro, click on it then click on Uninstall. Please allow it to uninstall it before you initiate a reinstall.

Please tell me if you are able to uninstall or not.

Let me know.
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have uninstalled the program before I contacted you. It would not install after several tries!

Thanks Jess.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Brian,

Thank you for that confirmation.

Since you have uninstalled the old program already, please do the following cleanup procedures first to ensure that your computer is clean, optimized and registry error free.

Cleanup with CCleaner

NOTE: If you are using a program named Roboform, please do not proceed with CCleaner cleanup. Roboform Data will be removed by CCleaner.

Please download the FREE version of CCleaner from this link:

Download FREE CCleaner Here or this link http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

After you download the free tool, install it and run the scans and tests. By default, it runs CLEANER to cleanup from all system mess which includes all unwanted files, temporary files, temporary internet files, orphaned files and more. Make sure that all this mess that the Cleaner program has detected is removed. This will free up some space in your hard drive while speeding up your system as well.

Next, run REGISTRY Cleaner and fix the found problems. Run this REGISTRY cleaner several times and fix the issues until no issues will be found.

In order to run the Registry cleanup mode, open CCleaner, then look at the left panel of the CCleaner window. Locate and click the Registry link there and that should give you the Registry cleanup mode. Then click on the Scan for issues button. When the scan reached 100%, click FIX issues to remove the errors from your system. Then click the Scan for issues again then FIX whenever issues are still found. When no issues are found, close CCleaner.

After the cleanup, please do these steps:
  1. Load the installation DVD
  2. Go to Start => Computer to access the contents of the DVD drive
  3. Now, please COPY the entire contents of the DVD and then PASTE them into a folder in your computer that is readily accessible like your Desktop screen or My Computer. This is to test if the system is able to READ the entire contents of the DVD. You can create a folder in the Desktop screen and name it like MS Office 2007 DVD and then PASTE all contents of the DVD there
  4. After that, please locate the SETUP file in the folder where you pasted the contents of the DVD. (Do not run the SETUP from the DVD)
  5. When found, double click on the SETUP file to start the installation
  6. Then see if this installation will succeed this time

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have done all you asked and the result is the same message - error 1303, cannot access folder c/programdata/microsoft/windows/startmenu/programs/microsoftoffice

Have I somehow lost this file??

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Brian,

When you installed MS Office, did you ALTER the location on the install? It is supposed to install in C:/Program Files/ folder NOT in C:/Program Data folder. Please confirm if you manually set the installation to Program Data or not.

Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Brian,

In case you did not manually alter the installaiton folder during the installation process and you are still getting the error 1303, the problem is caused by a "permission" problem. Your user account has no Full Control permission to the path:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office

If this is your case, please try to check the permission set in the Microsoft Office folder above. Here are the steps:
  1. Open Start => Computer
  2. Navigate to the path: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
  3. Now, if you are NOT able to see the folders in the path above (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs), set your system to Show Hidden Files and Folders. Go to Control Panel => Folder Options. In the View tab, click to set the option to Show hidden files, folders and drives
  4. With that set, try to go to the path now: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
  5. In that path, please locate the Microsoft Office folder, the one described in the error message
  6. Here is my screen shot:

7. When you found the folder, right click on it then click on Properties
  8. Click on the Security tab
  9. Under Groups or User names, click on SYSTEM
  10. Check if the permission there is set to full access, that is, all are check marks
  11. If there are items NOT checked, click on EDIT button then set it to FULL ACCESS (Except for Special Permission, it is OK it f it is NOT checked)
  12. Here is my screen shot:

13. When the changes are done, click on APPLY
  14. Click OK to close
  15. Then retry the installation

Keep me posted.

Jess

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can't navigate to program data. Problem is that most of the information is in Swedish!! Difficulty in translation! There is nothing to help me there and yout navigation seems not possible. Any suggestions?

I originally loaded an old version of office 7 which worked fine but needed upgrading as the permissions had been expended. Since then I removed that old program and tried to install a new one I just received-that's what all the hassle is about.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Brian,

I am sorry about that. I believe a series of screen shots can help you. My screen shots are in English but you may be able to compare the contents and then do a little translation. The path reported in the error 1303 is:

Now, our goal is to get to the "Microsoft Office" folder.

See the series of screen shots below:

When you open Drive C, scroll down and locate ProgramData folder:

Double click to open it. Double click on Microsoft:

Double click to open "Windows":

Double click to open Start Menu folder:

Then double click on Programs folder:

There you shall see the Microsoft Office folder:

When you finally locate that folder, right click on it then click on Properties

In the Properties window, click on the Security tab. There you can see the Groups or User names. Check if SYSTEM has all checks except for Special permission. If not, click on the EDIT button to apply FULL CONTROL permission. Click Apply then click OK.

Here is the final screen shot:

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your pics are fine but oncenI getb to windows there is no start menu option. The configuration of the pics are quite a bit different to yours so navigating through them is a bit awkward.

Ten Minutes later - Believe it or not the office 2007 full program has actually installed itself!!! I don't know what you or I actually did but it is up and working - thanks for your help and guidance. Probably be in touch again in the future.

Brian

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Brian,

I am glad that Office 2997 is up and working this time.

If you need assistance in the future, please post a question and address it to me, like "For jessmagz", so that I can get back to you immediately.

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,
Jess