ITGuyDave
ITGuyDave, Other
Experience:  IT professional for over 15 years.

ra - hl

Customer Question

I am in trouble with the Firewall, can't get it to work. I run Win8, erased Norton (they said it causes errors), and ccleaner.
I can't download updates too.
Please help
Paul
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  ITGuyDave replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'X happy to help you today. So, your firewall isn't working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dave and thanks for your help.

yes the firewall isn't working, together with the updates download.

I bought this Hp desktop just last month and it came with a Norton trial installed. Maybe they had the Win firewall disabled in order the Norton to work?

Expert:  ITGuyDave replied 1 year ago.
Could be. You've uninstalled that though and just want your Windows firewall activated again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's right. And updates download too.

Expert:  ITGuyDave replied 1 year ago.
OK, so let's verify a few things. Lets start by going to run by pressing ( windowskey + R ) and type in SFC /SCANNOW. This process will check your files for errors and fix them if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did it. nothing's coming up. no sign of something on the way.that normal?

is there a space after sfc, right?

Expert:  ITGuyDave replied 1 year ago.
It takes some time to run, but you should see a black window pop up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I saw it for a split-second, nothing steady. can I run other programs in the meantime?

Expert:  ITGuyDave replied 1 year ago.
Well, the next step I'd like to suggest is "Refreshing" your PC. Are you familiar with this process?
Expert:  ITGuyDave replied 1 year ago.
Basically this process will make your installation "like new". It will keep most settings but you may lose some installed software, in which case you will need to install it again.

Would you like to try this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, tell me exactly.......

Expert:  ITGuyDave replied 1 year ago.
You'll find this by clicking or touching the Settings charm (you display the charms with a swipe in from the left on a touch screen, or by moving the mouse pointer to either of the right corners and moving it down or up). Then choose "Change PC Settings" at the bottom.

When you're on the new-style "PC settings" page, choose the General section, and scroll the right-side choices down to the eighth choice, "Refresh your PC without affecting your files."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that's exactly what I did a couple of days ago, without fixing anything at all.

Expert:  ITGuyDave replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'm going to opt out then and see if another expert has any other ideas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

take your time. standing by

Expert:  ITGuyDave replied 1 year ago.
Since no other experts have responded, I'm willing to try again for you. Can I connect remotely to your PC and try a few things?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, thanks for offering, though.

I am pretty sure it's just something related to altered settings, due to some unknown factors - maybe I helped myself, too - and a standard step by step remote guidance would suffice in order to restore the original firewall and updating function setups. That's just what I need,

restore the firewall factory settings, and when I try to do that myself, I get this message: error 0x80070437.While, if I try to access the firewall advance security settings, I get error code 0x6D9.

If I try to download updates, I get error code 80071A91, and so on...

If you need to consult with someone else, no problem. We can talk tomorrow.........

Expert:  ITGuyDave replied 1 year ago.
Ok, try these steps for the firewall error:

1. Go to Services.

2. Select Windows Firewall and double-click.

3. In the Windows Firewall Properties box click the Log-On tab.

4. Click the This Account button and enter the words Local Service.

5. If your system is password XXXXX enter your password XXXXX and then click Apply.

6. Click the General tab and select Service Type = Automatic.

7. Click Start.
Expert:  ITGuyDave replied 1 year ago.
Seems the issue might be related to who the services is running as.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My point exactly. I was there yesterday, before contacting you,but stopped fearing repercussions on other services connected, like the BFE, which shows the same on the Log-On tab. So, I should type in the same password XXXXX use to start the pc, correct? What about the other services connected?

Expert:  ITGuyDave replied 1 year ago.
The other services will be fine. And yes, if you have a password XXXXX enter that. Curious though, what is it set to logon as now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to say it didn't work, but we must be close, definetely.

Logon was set as per your advice, with a different password, I suppose,which I ignore, of course. When I typed mine, it responed to the change, saying something like "the rights are now given to.....(can't remember)", therefore a change was implemented, but I noticed that it actually starts (i.e. I click start) but it stops again in a minute. I repeated the procedure a couple of times, restarted the pc also, but when I get back again to the firewall service, I find it not running. Should I perform the same change on the BFE service?

Last thing: my pw is quite short, but after I type it in, it looks much longer. Is that normal?

Sure I won't forget to rate your services, I only wait for a happy end, which I feel very close.

Expert:  ITGuyDave replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can do that for the BFE, but since you see it starting I'm thinking there may be a clue in the error logs. Can you check them please, and look for an entry that matches the time you attempted to start it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please tell me how do I check the error logs.Not very familiar with that

Expert:  ITGuyDave replied 1 year ago.
Sure, you can see them in the Event Viewer. You should look in System and Application.

Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer.‌ If you are prompted for an administrator password XXXXX confirmation, type the password XXXXX provide confirmation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Done, and what I see is just a mere description of the event in question, like " Windows Firewall Service ended with its own specific error code"

or "Windows Search Service ended with error" . Besides, there are several registries, each reporting long lists of errors but, again, just a description. Should I look for something specific or in a particular registry? If you need a visual, just tell me how to do it

Expert:  ITGuyDave replied 1 year ago.
Seems like that isn't the issue if you aren't seeing anything dramatic.

There does seem to be an issue with windows 8 and Norton, so I'm going to suggest something that may sound odd. I think we should install the latest version of Norton again. Here's a link to the free trial:

http://buy.norton.com/ps?ctry=US&lang=EN&selSKU=21234675&tppc=9a05e4dc0aaef88c2f06c918aada99d9&ptype=cart&om_sem_cid=hho_sem_sy:us:ggl:en:e|kw0000003918|5855887636&country=US

My thinking is that your original install corrupted something and the newest version will fix it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cool idea but didn't work. I reinstalled the latest Norton version in full - I am a long time customer and they already sent me a replacement for free - but no joy. I am back to where I started:no windows updates and no windows firewall. Only now I don't care anymore about the win firewall, since I got the Norton one. The real problem to fix at this time remains the windows updates. Any suggestions?

I almost forgot: do you think is safe to install ccleaner? Would it help to fix registry errors?

Expert:  ITGuyDave replied 1 year ago.
I haven't used ccleaner on Windows 8, but I've used it on other OS's without a problem.

As for the updates issues, let's try this:

Please check that the txr folder exists in (c:\windows\system32\config).
If it is not there create it and try an update.

If the updates still don't work try the following.
1. Bring up an elevated (Administrator) command prompt (run cmd as Administrator)
2. Execute the following commands sequentially:
a. fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\
b. cd %windir%\system32\config\txr
c. attrib -r -s -h *
d. del *
3.Type: Cd c:\windows\System32\SMI\Store\Machine
Type: Attrib –a –h –s *.TM*
Type: Del *.TM*

And then try an update again.

Let em know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how do I get to (c:\windows\system32\config) ?

hope this is not going to be too high tec for me....