R. Michael
R. Michael, MIS Analyst
Experience:  Masters of Info. Systems; 10+ years using Microsoft Office.
71693728

my powerpoint 2003 is a presentation with 31 slides all with

Customer Question

my powerpoint 2003 is a presentation with 31 slides all with action and music.

The file has locked itself. when I looked at the file size it had ballooned to over 1 gig.

now I cannot open it or work on it. What can I do?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  R. Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi Welcome to JustAnswer.com. My name is R. Michael and I have a possible workaround.

Create a new blank Power Point and Insert the slides from the original presentation

File-->New Blank Presentation

Click Insert > Slides from Files

Browse for your File and then insert them one by one** (repeating the insert step) after reducing the slide size with suggestions in link below.

The following link has some excellent ideas for reducing PowerPoint sizes.

http://www.wikihow.com/Reduce-Powerpoint-File-Size

It may be a little bit of extra leg work but at least you should be able to recover your slides.

**Depending on the size of the slides "one by one" may not be necessary. You may be able insert more that one at a time before reducing slide size and continuing to insert.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear R.Micheal,

The problem being:

How can you transfer slides from the existing file,

when you cannot open that file?

When you click on the existing file this is what the window says:-

'Powerpoint cant read c:/documents and settings/fred/desktop/presenting ppoint book launch ppt.

I can create a new blank presentation - but cannot open this file to do transfer of the slides.

Regards

Fred Williams

Expert:  R. Michael replied 1 year ago.
I was afraid that may happen.
Can you zip the file and upload to www.wikisend.com and provide me the link to the file?
I can try changing the file type and compressing some of the images to reduce the overall file size for you. Then repost it back as a ppt file?
Expert:  R. Michael replied 1 year ago.
After zipping the file You may also try opening it from the zipped folder. That in itself may enable PowerPoint to read the file so you can compress images.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes! I can try to zip the file for uploading.

How do I do this?

I not sure on how to go about it!

Expert:  R. Michael replied 1 year ago.

1.) Navigate to the folder the file is stored

2.) Right click the file

3.) Send To--Compressed (zipped) folder

Once zipped you will see a new folder usually with the same name as the file and the file will be in that new zipped folder.

See Screen Shot below

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have downloaded winzip.

The problem is when I click on Desktop where the ppt file is - it does not show-up in the winzip window.

So, I tried it from a USB but the result is the same it doesn't show up in the file selection window ( even though I know the file is stored there)

I could Airmail a USB to you (that would take about 7-days). I can't send a CD because the file is too large.

Or do you have another suggestion?

Expert:  R. Michael replied 1 year ago.
I actually do not use win Zip and it is strange that the file is not showing. I am almost wondering if it may actually be corrupt.
First Try this:
Create a new folder in My Documents
Copy the ppt file to that folder.
In WinZip select the entire folder not the file.

Let me know and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay trying your suggestion.

As a note:-

I opened Winzip on the desktop and dragged and dropped the ppt file into it. It compressed it a little.

'space savings 126.70 Mb 12%

Before 1.05Gb

after 950.64'

I then clicked on 'save as' retitled it and saved.

The file said it was opening ppt ...but after about 30 seconds a window came up...

'powerpoint cannot read the document etc...'

Expert:  R. Michael replied 1 year ago.
Yeah that is still too large to transfer on websites I know.
Have you tried right clicking the original file
Go to properties
In properties window select "previous versions" tab
See if there are any previous versions you can VIEW not restore.
Is so you prob lost some content but it is worth a shot

Make sure to do this from the original file not copied files as they will not have previous versions

Let me know. I am almost sure not the file is corrupt... Not just too large
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried your suggestion.

In that window it gives you a choice of the following options:-

Created Wed, 7 Nov 2012 3.07.17 pm

Modified Wed, 5 Dec 2012 10.08.59 am

Accessed today 10 Dec 2012 9.27.56 am

(under neath that box)

Attributes

Read Only Hidden Advanced

Expert:  R. Michael replied 1 year ago.
So there was no "previous versions" tab in the properties if the file?
Expert:  R. Michael replied 1 year ago.
I am searching for a website that allows for large files to be uploaded but I have not come across any that do not require an email. Unfortately with this site can't exchange email addresses. Still searching though
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Don't know about you but I think I will have to write this file off.

Begin all over. Thanks for your efforts!

Is wonder if there is an updated version available in powerpoint? It has to be able to run on XP.

Expert:  R. Michael replied 1 year ago.
I have a website that I tinker around with. I created an upload form so you can upload your file here. So we shouldn have to worry about size now. If this doesn't work I am right with you. But One last try

http://www.chichiollie.com/Home/JAnswer/uploadfile.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay one last try...then give-up Tks

Expert:  R. Michael replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you've uploaded. I do not see anything. If it didn't upload I will opt out of question.