Erik B.
Erik B., Consultant
Experience:  Well versed in several editions of Microsoft Office.
18224842

hp omni ALL IN ONE HAD INSTALLED MICROSOFT OFFICE STARTER IN

Customer Question

hp omni ALL IN ONE HAD INSTALLED MICROSOFT OFFICE STARTER IN MAY 2012. iT WILL NOT OPEN. HASN'T FOR 10 DAYS. HOW CAN OFFICE STARTER BE OPENED?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Do you get an error message or does the program simply not respond at all when you attempt to open it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

error msg:"Click-2-Run. configuration failure."

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
OK let's try running a System Restore to before the problem was happening. The unfortunate thing about Starter is that it is difficult to repair; System Restore is the only way to fix it most of the time. Here is what I want you to do:

1. Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.
  2. Click Next on the first window.
  3. Click the box for Show More Restore Points so that all points are displayed.
  4. Pick a restore point from 11 days ago (you stated the problem with Starter occurred 10 days ago).
  5. Click Next.
  6. Click Finish and wait for the restore to complete (the system will reboot).

When the system comes back up try Starter again. If it works we will then need to run Windows Update to apply any updates that were rolled back. You can run Windows Update by opening the Control Panel and clicking on Windows Update. Please keep me posted. Thanks so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Erik, I tried system restore MANY times in past week. Problem with System restore on this hp is that it only goes back to 28 Nov. With "more restore points", nw help at all. Can you download Office Starter on to my computer? That would likely fix it. Why restore points can't go back months is a mystery to me. Perhaps updates are a limitation on restore points.

New question. If you don't fix it , do I need a full Office student-home Office pkg to get all my word documents to open. I've MANY hundreds of them. Will a full Office download solve my problem?

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
First the easy part, yes a full download will allow you to open all Word, Excel, etc. documents.

Now for the harder part! Starter is unfortunately not easily available for download. Have you tried repairing Starter using the Add/Remove programs function? If not I can give you instructions on doing that, let me know!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I seem able to remove Office Starter, but did not . Would any of my word files be lost if I removed Office 2010?

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
No your word files will still be there. Only the program files are removed. Once you have Starter off you can then install another version of Office or if you are looking for a free alternative you can download OpenOffice:

http://www.openoffice.org

However if you like the look and feel of Office, then Home and Student should be sufficient:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/home-and-student/

It is a little more than $100. Let me know if you need any clarification on that. I think you would find the expanded features of the full office more to your liking as well. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will remove Office 2010 anbd then download ofice
Student- home reduced Office pkg as suggested.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Good deal, let me know if you have any trouble with it, I will be here! Thanks so much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried to reopen my office starter and I sense that Office 2010 was not removed. I didn't get a message that it was removed after I did that. It seems like I'm back at square one.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
OK just to make sure, please do the following for me:

1. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press the R key.
  2. Type appwiz.cpl into the Run window and click OK.
  3. The Programs list will appear.
  4. Scroll through the list. Do you see any evidence of Microsoft Office 2010 or Microsoft Office Click to Run?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Only Microsoft Office 2010 click to run

was shwn in the list.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
OK and you have removed that? If that is no longer showing in the list after you remove it, then you can safely purchase, download, and install Office 2010 Home and Student.

If you would like to be absolutely sure, you can also run the removal fixit from Microsoft for Office 2010. Simply CLICK HERE to access the MS support site, then click on the Fix It button. You will be prompted to download the Fix It file. Do so and when the download completes run it to remove any traces of Office 2010. Then you can download and install Home and Student.

Let me know if you run into any trouble. Thanks!
Erik B., Consultant
Experience: Well versed in several editions of Microsoft Office.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did all that and also deleted

Microsoft Click to run. The Office 2010 seems missing in my computer now.
Can we proceed to download Office 2010 student home?

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Yes you may now download Office 2010 Home and Student edition from here:

Simply click the link above and then click on Buy Now to be walked through the purchase and download process. Let me know if you have any trouble with it. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Erik, I bought Office Student-home + DVD and downloaded it, BUT It does not show in my ALL PROGRAMS LIST so I coudn't open it. Starter is missing of course. The lady who followed my attempted download doesn't understand what we were trying to do..

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to hear of the trouble. Please do the following for me:

CLICK HERE

You should be prompted to Run or Save the download. Please choose to Save it. The file is large and may take a bit of time to download. When the download is complete, choose to Run it.

The download will then start the Microsoft Office Installation wizard. Go through the wizard, entering your product key number when prompted (you should have received the product key when you ordered the software). Upon completion of the wizard you will have Word, Excel, etc. in your All Programs list under Microsoft Office. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The In-house Microsoft people had to take control and in about 2 hours solved the download problems and now I can use Office home student for my use of WORD. PHEW. God Bless and Merry Christmas.

Billy Cornflake

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Billy and Merry Christmas to you too!