R. Michael
R. Michael, MIS Analyst
Experience:  Masters of Info. Systems; 10+ years using Microsoft Office.

I use windows xp, Outllok calendar I can categorize

Customer Question

I use windows xp, Outllok 2007.
in calendar I can categorize my appointments by right clicking on the item, scrolling down to categories, then clicking on the category I want.
I use my calendar to manage my tasks by booking "appointments" for myself to do stuff rather than using a task or to do list.
whenever I complete a task/"appointment" I go back and categorize it using a custom category: "Completed" Green. this way I can see what I've done, and when I see an item that is not green, I know I have to move it to the next day or week. without this, I would forget about tasks that I didn't have time to complete each day.
I hate having to click, scroll, click and click to do this. I would like to be able to just use a hot key or a keyboard short cut that would categorize whatever calendar event I have highlighted to a default category (Complete/Green), or if the categorize button instead of clicking it and then clicking a colour, having an extra button for my default colour or several buttons for the different colours/categories. one click. and without having to actually open the calendar event, but just by single clicking on the event and then single clicking on the "Green/Complete" button. Ca this be done and without having to have "administrator" authority?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  R. Michael replied 3 years ago.

You are half way there when you tried the "Set Quick Click, which says When single clicking on the categories column, add the following category." You may have had the option to set a Ctrl Key( I did but I use 2010 ). But it will not show up for me again. But the following will work.

1.) So Now Right Click the event

2.) Scroll to Categories then Select "All Categories".

3.) In this menu you can assign shortcut keys to the colors.

4.) Just Select the Color then select your Shortcut Key in the bottom Right. (ei:Ctrl+F2)

Then anytime you select the appointment just press your shortcut Ctrl+F2 to change the color. Let me know if you have any other questions. If no other questions regarding this procedure please provide me a positive rating so I may get credit for the work. It was a pleasure assisting you today.

See screen shot below:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you R. Michael,
This makes sense. I will try it when I get back in the office on Monday, then I will give you the appropriate rating.
If you ever have a question about cleaning or facility maintenance, look me up. That is my area of expertise.
Michael Mac.
You are welcome. Also by the way forgot to say you do not need admin privileges to do this so you should not have and problems at the office. I will keep you in my contacts for you expertise as well. Let me know if you have anything further. It was a pleasure working with you.

Were you able to add the Shortcut Keys?