R. Michael
R. Michael, MIS Analyst
Experience:  Masters of Info. Systems; 10+ years using Microsoft Office.

Hello! I have a sort of budget to create in Excel. I have

Hello! I have a sort of budget to create in Excel. I have a field where I need to compare to calculated values and display the lesser of these to values. For instance, I have one place to calculate SUM('Assumptions And Bases'!B10*'Assumptions And Bases'!B5), but I want to have a maximum value for this field to use which is also calculated, so if SUM('Assumptions And Bases'!B11) is less than SUM('Assumptions And Bases'!B10*'Assumptions And Bases'!B5), i want to display SUM('Assumptions And Bases'!B11). Can anyone tell me the syntax to do this? I'm a rookie with Excel i'm afraid! Thank you.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your question [:D:]

I don't understand what you are trying to do.

You are trying to sum a single cell

SUM('Assumptions And Bases'!B11)

that formula does nothing, because its a single cell.

do you want to display the value of

Assumptions And Bases'!B11 if that one is greater

add the sum of Assumptions And Bases'!B5 through Assumptions And Bases'!B10 if thats greater

or do you just want the the 2 cells B5 and B10 added together,

or do you want them multiplied, because in your other formula your using B5*B10 which multiplies them
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Actually right now you are correct that in this case I am comparing a calculation of 2 fields from another spreadsheet in my workbook to a single field value in another spreadsheet in a workbook. But elsewhere in this same budget I will be comparing 2 calculations, so I am looking for syntax that works for either case. I basically have one worksheet full of assumptions and base values that my other spreadsheets will reference and base their calculations on. Then if my assumptions change all my other budgetary and forecasting work will automatically update. That SUM('Assumptions And Bases'!B11) was just the way I point to an already calculated value from another spreadsheet, there may be a better way to do it, but either way I will also have to compare calculation to calculation in other places in this worksheet, so I need a method/syntax that works either way. I can upload my spreadsheet for you if you want and talk you through it if it is still confusing, maybe then I can make it more clear.

ok, go ahead and upload it
I'm sorry, but I don't think I will be able to help you with this. I will opt out to give other experts a chance.

I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Rachel, not a problem! Hopefully the right person will come up. Sorry I couldn't reply sooner but I had to run out to the vet with a sick dog. I'll be around over the weekend and should be more responsive. Thanks for your assistance.

Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Hi I am R. Michael. First Thank you for your patients.

Below is a formula that will work. However I was not sure what you wanted if SUM('Assumptions And Bases'!B11) is NOT less than SUM('Assumptions And Bases'!B10*'Assumptions And Bases'!B5)...So I made an assumption (Blue color in the formula below)....You can just replace that with what ever formula you want.

=IF(SUM('Assumptions And Bases'!B11)<(SUM('Assumptions And Bases'!B10)*'Assumptions And Bases'!B5),SUM('Assumptions And Bases'!B11),(SUM('Assumptions And Bases'!B10)*'Assumptions And Bases'!B5))

Link to Example File:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Michael, thank you! So is the syntax for this simply

=IF (valueA < valueB, valueA, valueB)

So first is the IF Case followed by a comma then the THEN case followed by a comma followed by the ELSE case?

Yes that is the correct syntax let me know if you have any further questions
R. Michael, MIS Analyst
Experience: Masters of Info. Systems; 10+ years using Microsoft Office.