Sergio A.
Sergio A., Computer Technologist
Experience:  I have 15+ years experience installing, configuring, troubleshooting and using MS Office products.
45006406

Greetings-- I have a visio dwg imported into a word doc. The

Greetings-- I have a visio dwg imported into a word doc. The visio deg has blocks of text in it. I want to hyperlink each block of text to a bookmark in the same word document. So far cannot figure it out....
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

Sergio A. :

Hi, my name isXXXXX for allowing me to help you. Can you tell me the process you are using to get the visio drawing into word?

Customer:

Hello Sergio, I just copy and paste the visio dwg into the Word doc.

Sergio A., Computer Technologist
Experience: I have 15+ years experience installing, configuring, troubleshooting and using MS Office products.
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 1 year ago.
OK, I did some testing and aside from converting things into a PDF, the way I got it to work was inserting the Visio Diagram into the Word doc using Insert > Object, then right clicking on a box in the diagram and choosing Hyperlink. From there it shows the Bookmarks in the Word document for you to choose from. Ctrl clicking on the block then will take you to the bookmark. My research and testing shows that there is no way to set the hyperlinks at the text level in the diagram - only at the diagram object level.

Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sergio--I copy and paste the Visio deg into a Word file.

Expert:  Sergio A. replied 1 year ago.
Did you get my reply?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, thank you. But I can't find the "Object" icon to finish the insert.

Expert:  Sergio A. replied 1 year ago.
Depending on what version of Word you are using, it is on the Insert tab, in the Text section. You should see Text Box, Quick Parts, WordArt...it is next to those options, under Date & Time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, Sergio. How do I choose OBJECT in the INSERT page?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. However, when I try to add a hyperlink to the visio dwg I just inserted, the HYPERLINK window opens asking me for an address, subaddress, etc. I do not see the Bookmark option,

Expert:  Sergio A. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have bookmarks specified in the document? If you do, then you should right click on any block in the diagram and choose Hyperlink. From there you should be presented with options to Link to Existing file or web page, place in this document, etc. You choose Place in this document and you will see a list that includes your bookmarks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great, it works. Thanks.

Expert:  Sergio A. replied 1 year ago.
Great to hear!

Thank you for working with me. Please bookmark my profile for all your future technology needs.

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-sergioa/

Thanks Again!

Sergio

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One more question, please--am I limited to one hyperlink per visio dwg?

Expert:  Sergio A. replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, you're right, that approach only allows one link for the whole diagram. Let me do some more testing and see we can do it for more than one.
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 1 year ago.
OK Phil, so I spent some time doing a lot of testing and research. Here is what I found out. Without using some in depth programming, there is no way to hyperlink the components of a visio diagram to the bookmarks in a Word document. You can go about this by converting the document into a PDF and creating bookmarks then, or you can convert your document into an HTML document and create links within it. The only other way to accomplish what you want is to have each document remain separate and use links that way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Very Well done. Thank you.

Expert:  Sergio A. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.