romr2009
romr2009, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control
24179821

RA - fvh

Customer Question

I'm using office 2000 on windows XP SP3. In the last couple of months, I've found that 'save as' from office applications isn't working. There's no error message, I can see the newly created files (and folders created at the same time) from office applications but not in explorer. I can open the new files from office, including after closing the application but never in explorer. After PC shutdown, the files are gone, shortcuts in recent documents exist but don't work. After the first couple of times I did a full search of the c drive and the files aren't anywhere, and I had to re-create. This is wearing...

It's only the c drive; I can save to another PC mapped as a server and I also can use save as to the c drive from notepad so it must be office. But what?

Cheers,

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andy and welcome

It is likely Office is corrupted and requires a repair.

To do this, On the Help menu in any Office program (eg: Word), click Detect and Repair.

Click Start.

Once it completes, restart the computer and test if you still have the problem. If you do, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Attachment: 2012-12-06_144742_excelvexplorer.ppt

Unfortunately no better. Did the detect & repair followed by restart. Have attached a couple of screen dumps from excel and explorer to show. I created the folder "c c" and saved book1 into it. Still doesn't show in explorer (I did refresh!).

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I think I see the problem.

It is in the directory offline which means you are using an offline synching tool?

This can cause this exact behavior

What happens when you save the file to your desktop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No change. I tried saving in every folder back to c:\ yesterday but with no success. The folder offline is just called that as it used to be synced to my laptop (from the laptop end) but I now sync all of My Documents.

If it helps, I sync 2 ways:-

1) The 'My Docs' (& another on the root) folder on this PC is mapped as a drive on my laptop, marked as 'make available offline' there and synced manually when I remember. It runs Vista which I don't and I can't see how to sync on connect. Another gripe...

2) The 'My docs' on another PC is mapped to this one(S&E_docs Z:) and made available offline.

This way my docs are backed up on my laptop (nothing stored directly on it) and my Mum's (next door on same WLAN) are backed up on my PC (and again on laptop). This has been working fine for a couple of years.

Ta, Andy

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I really think the Synch is causing the problem.

To test, can you save to a USB thumb drive and see if you have the same problem Andy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No USB stick to hand, but saving to anywhere away from c: drive works. I tried the other PC via the mapped drive yesterday and today with success - it's the only place I can work from at the moment.

A

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it is going to be the Synch

To fix this, can you stop the drives being accessible offline.

Restart the computer and than re-enable the synch and test please Andy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do you mean the c: drive folders? If so, the 'make available offline' setting is on my laptop (sleeping). Or should I just turn off the sharing?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the C Drive folders.

Turn off Sharing will also do this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Attachment: 2012-12-06_155344_exp2.ppt

still no joy. Turned off sharing on the 2 folders (and shared docs as well), see attached for lack of the different folder icon. Left sharing off in the meantime.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
To be sure Andy, did you restart the computer after doing this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yep, did the restart. Back online for a while now, if you're around.

A

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Andy but on this problem I am really out of ideas.

I will have to opt out for another expert who may have new ideas to bring.

Sorry I could not solve the problem for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, is it now 'out there' again?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Correct Andy, the experts can also see what we did so you don't repeat the steps again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Unable to resolve, despite effort.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.
  • Run CHKDSK to fix any soft errors on your hard drive.

-----

• For Windows XP:

Click the start button at the lower left corner of your screen.
    Click on RUN...
    Type cmd and click OK.
    Type CHKDSK and press the enter key.

-----

• Wait for the procedure to complete.

• Do not schedule yet.

• Send the results first as directed below.
    -----
    Right-click on the text and choose SELECT ALL.
    Then go to the justanswer window and select PASTE so I can see the results.

If the paste is non-responsive, repeat:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

H, as requested:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Andy Robson>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Deleting index entry Preferences in index $I30 of file 170909.
Deleting index entry PREFER~1 in index $I30 of file 170909.
Deleting index entry f_0029e7 in index $I30 of file 170989.
Deleting index entry f_0029e9 in index $I30 of file 170989.
Deleting index entry f_0029ea in index $I30 of file 170989.
Deleting index entry f_0029eb in index $I30 of file 170989.
Index verification completed.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

C:\Documents and Settings\Andy Robson>

Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.
  • You have some problems with your hard drive.
  • Everything your computer knows how/what to do lives on your hard drive.
  • When you computer turns on it loads its procedures from the hard drive.
  • If parts of the hard drive are corrupted, some functions will stop working.

-----

• Backup your important data to a flash drive or external hard drive now in case your hard drive dies.
  • Do not save anything your current hard drive because that might cause a total failure.
  • Then perform the procedure below to see if we can repair the current hard drive

-----

• For Windows XP:
  • Click the start button at the lower left corner of your screen.
    Click on RUN...
    Type cmd and click OK.

• Type CHKDSK /R and press the Enter key.

• (CHKDSK /R has a space between CHKDSK and /R.)
  • If it asks to schedule, press Y (yes) to schedule a repair for the next restart and restart using the Windows start menu.

-----

• Wait for the procedure to complete.

• It may take hours to complete depending on the problems with the hard drive so do this overnight if possible without interruption.

-----

• If it does not pause to do the CHKDSK automatically, we will need the Windows CD/DV.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Ran the checkdisk overnight but there's no change. Only thing to note is that I had to save a pdf. This worked OK to the same folder area using acrobat's save as. It just seems to be office...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Awaiting answer
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Lindie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Yes I'm still waiting for an answer, and would like to continue, but the problem seems a bit of a challenge...

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Lindie
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Greetings,

Thank you for your question and your time today.

My name is Jason and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I remote into your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jason,

Been offline a while but now available if you are. I'm familiar with the remote connection method but am a little uncomfortable with giving access to someone unknown. Would I have the ability to abort the connection if I am unhappy? I'm currently connected to the PC using remote desktop from my laptop - I assume that I'd have to disconnect and physically sit in front of it. Not really a prob, it's in the next (colder) room.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello Andy,

You can disconnect the remote at any time that you want to.

- Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, let's proceed.

A

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the wait.

Are you availble for the remote link right now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jason, The time zone differences are a problem. I'm only online briefly now but would be available tonight if it suits. Say 1930 GMT (8.5 hours from now)? Andy.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update and for your patience.

I will be available for the next few hours.

My hours are as follows: 10am-1:30am (GMT).

Please, post a message when you are ready for the remote link.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm online now and ready to go.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

AFTER YOU CLICK THE LINK BELOW, you can continue.

Instructions for running the remote application:
- If you are using Internet Explorer, choose to RUN the application.
- If you are using Firefox or Safari, please, open the Downloads window and double click the Elsinore... application. (FIREFOX: In the top menu bar, click TOOLS > DOWNLOADS) (SAFARI: In the top menu bar, click Window > Downloads
- If you are using Google Chrome, please, click the Elsinore... button on the bottom left of your screen after it downloads.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=1bcd8e6c-2556-42aa-881a-eb4e75a4b5cd&SUPPORT=NET

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jason, Still no success, I'm afraid. I had a think and a look back through sent emails and I think it was working on 6th Aug, but not 19th when I created a PPT. I also saved it as a pdf which exists, but not the ppt. Not many files created around this time as it was harvest (work out my day job).

I tried to get a restore point around this time but they only go back to 13th Sept (3 months?).

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

I wish you luck,
- Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Jason. I understand your frustration. Would you mind putting a couple of lines on here about what you tried directly to help another expert?

Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.
Since the others have opted out we can continue.

Can you post the results of CHKDSK so I can see it?

• For Windows XP:

Click on RUN...
    Type cmd and click OK.
    Type chkdsk /v and press the return key.

-----

• Wait for the procedure to complete.

-----
    Then go to the justanswer window, right-click in the window and select PASTE so I can see the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Andy Robson>chkdsk /v
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

File verification completed.
Deleting index entry Local State in index $I30 of file 170897.
Deleting index entry LOCALS~1 in index $I30 of file 170897.
Index verification completed.
Detected minor inconsistencies on the drive. This is not a corruption.

C:\Documents and Settings\Andy Robson>

Expert:  romr2009 replied 1 year ago.
  • Looks like your hard drive still has problems.
  • If I were you I would try getting a new C: drive and re-installing XP and your programs on that drive.
  • Critical areas in your current C: drive have ceased to be re-writable so the changes/documents saved by Office are not taking.

-----

• In my experience it is better to leave your current drive as is.
  • If you try to format the bad drive, you will not only lose the data but the drive will stop working completely.