flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies

i have words starter and, over a long period have saved in

Customer Question

i have words starter and, over a long period have saved in my documents many items. suddenly i am unable to open any of them, the screen just shows Word Starter and will not open any of them. HELP!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.
Try running a system restore to a day when it did work

If that does not work we can try other things. But thats an easy start that fixes alot. I am leaving for the day but will be back late tonight or tomorrow If you need more immediate attention please relist the question rather than giving me a bad rating.

system restore instructions XP VISTA

start menu /all programs / accesories / system tools / system restore

select restore to an earlier date.

choose a date from the calendar that is BEFORE you experienced the problem

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

a restoring settngs box will appear with a status bar

when it finishes your computer will restart with the same settings it had on the date you restored to. your data will not be affected.

It is not perfect. But it fixes a lot of things.

System restore instructions - windows 7

type system restore in the white search box on the windows start menu and select system restore from the results

select restore to an earlier date.

Under the "suggested restore" which is usually not old enough to help is a link for "OTHER RESTORE POINTS"
click that if the suggested ones are not BEFORE THE PROBLEM STARTED

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHEN THIS STARTED SO UNABLE TO GO TO SYSTEM RESTORE. OTHER OPTIONS PLEASE AS I AM REALLY ANNOYED THAT I CANNOT ACCESS ITEMS WHICH I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FOR A LONG TIME.

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.
The restore will probably go back a month

it does not do anything to your data just program settings and it is really the best thing to at least try.

I am going out for awhile. If you dont want to do that or need more immediate assistance please re list this question for another expert rather than giving me a bad rating

thank you.
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience: degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HELP! So far all you have said is what I CANNOT DO! i.e. the sytem restore, what good is that when it is probably months ago it happened, I do NOT know when it stopped allowing me to access the icons/documents so please give me an easier option. I am NOT A COMPUTER WHIZ I AM A TOTAL DINOSAUR when it comes to modern techno.

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.
which icons are you talking about?

there should be a program listing on your start menu / all programs menu
if you click on word starter edition on there does the program start.

Is that what is not working or you can not find your documents ?

You can do a search for *.doc if you can not find your documents.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

icons are the ones at the side of screen when I open the laptop. On them are documents and 'Novel' something I've been working on until this happened. I can open the documents but then NOT any with the microsoft 'W' (word starter ) symbol. I'll look at program but does any of this help?

Have accessed word starter as you said, in programs but all it does is show the actual 'Word Starter' box, no action except to say that 'microsoft cannot be opened, check internet connex' (which was ok) to see if working. What now?

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.
go to control panel
programs or add remove programs

click on the word starter

there should be a repair option.
click that.

i am heading off for the night but i will be here tomorrow to help you.
please hit relist if you need more immediate help rather than giving me a bad rating if that does not work. otherwise i will work with you tomorrow to get it fixed.