John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

Greetings. I I need a data entry form (add-in) for Excel 2010

Customer Question

Greetings. I I need a data entry form (add-in) for Excel 2010 that allows combo boxes. I downloaded John Walkenbach's J-Walk Enhanced Data form v3, and that application is perfect for my team needs, with one notable (and significant) exception:" Enhanced Data For does not work with Excel/Mac. The reason is because macro compatibility between the two platforms is terrible. The number of Excel/Mac users is too small to warrant the additional programming frustrations." (I wrote to Mr. Walkenbach today; the sentences included in the quotation are from him).

Help. Do you know of any Excel 2010 add-ins (specifically, a data entry form that allows combo boxes/drop-down lists/checkboxes) AND which works on BOTH Mac and PC platforms?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 3 years ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue

Steve Herrod :

can you let me know what versions of Mac OX/Excel you are using and I'll see what the best options are? There would also be some virtualisation options on the Mac but that might be overkill just for one data entry form

Steve Herrod :

Let me know

Steve Herrod :

Steve Herrod :

JACUSTOMER-0s4scesf- :

Mac 10.7.5

JACUSTOMER-0s4scesf- :

Excel 2010

Steve Herrod :

On the Mac side it should be either Excel 2008 or Excel 2011

Steve Herrod :

but it sounds like it's a pretty up to date version all round so that helps

Steve Herrod :

will work out the best option

JACUSTOMER-0s4scesf- :

Looking forward to seeing what can work.

Steve Herrod :

Thanks - trying several things at present

Steve Herrod :

Unfortunately I've not had any luck so far - I've tried a few options but not got anything that will meet your requirements other than writing one from scratch. I'm going to opt out so that other experts can take a look as they may well have seen something before

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Have you tried creating your own form using the standard Excel combo, check boxes and drop down controls. These should work equally well in both platforms

I can send you a sample file with some controls so you can test them on the Mac and PC
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't tried that yet. A sample file would be grand.

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.
Ok will prepare sample file with the three controls and send it to you when done
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.
Ok here you go

Attachment: 2012-12-06_214424_sample_controls.xlsx

The file has three sheets, one for the ComboBox, one for the DropDown, and one for Checkboxes.

Please try them to see how it works and if you need further assistance on how to create them etc let me know and I will be happy to explain

Hope this helps.

Thank you for remembering to rate the answer if you found it helpful