NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

ra - hl

Customer Question

can't preview Microsoft Office 10 files in Windows Explorer
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  webpagesby22 replied 4 years ago.

What version of windows are you using?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit OS with 18 GB Ram and running Office 2010.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Windows 7 professional

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What is status of my question? It has been 18 hours so far.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Lindie
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am still waiting for an answer. Please find someone else to help with this question.

Thanks.

Hi

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Lindie
Expert:  NewITZone replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. This is Mahbub Shahin can assist you.

Explorer can't always preview .docx, .xls, and other Microsoft Office file formats. The possible reasons are

1. If you have the wrong edition of Microsoft Office

If you're using Microsoft Office Starter edition (a very limited, advertiser-supported version that comes bundled with some PCs), you won't be able to preview these files. It appears that Office Starter doesn't support Windows Explorer preview, and the only fix is to upgrade to another version.

2.If the files you're trying to preview are very old:

The age of the files could be causing the problem. As a security precaution, Word 2010 won't open .doc files created in a version of Word earlier than 97 (the format was more susceptible to macro viruses, back then). And if Word won't open them, it won't help Windows Explorer preview them, either.

Excel behaves similarly.

Here's how to fix the problem in Word 2010:

1. Click the File tab (dark blue and immediately to the left of Home).
  2. Click Options in the left pane.
  3. In the Word Options dialog box, click Trust Center, again in the left pane.
  4. Click the Trust Center Settings button.
  5. In the Trust Center's left pane, click File Block Settings.

The resulting options may confuse you. If the Open option for a file type is checked, that means you can't open those files. So I recommend unchecking everything.

After you make these changes, be careful about any old files you open--although I suspect that there aren't many pre-1997 viruses floating around that your antivirus program doesn't know about.

The same instructions work for Excel.

Source: pcworld.com

If the problem exist or any more question please let me know.

Please, only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel to rate me as "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please reply me via REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have rather then rate me as "Poor Service" or "Bad Service",

I will not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If you think I have helped you with your problem, please give me a proper rating so that I can get paid for helping you.Bonus will be appreciable. Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Boxes were already unchecked. I have also "repaired" the installation of Office 10 but nothing changed.

Thanks.

Expert:  NewITZone replied 4 years ago.
Please let me know are you using office starter version? Or let me know your Office version?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Office 2010 version--full.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Replied earlier. I am using Office 2010.

Expert:  NewITZone replied 4 years ago.
Please let me know is it office home or student version, or professional ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Microsft Office Professiona Plus 2010, student media (I am faculty).

Expert:  NewITZone replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Please try this:
Office Button(green color) -> Word Options -> Resources, and clicked on "Run Microsoft Office Diagnostics." It took a while. After complete 40 tests, Please close Word and re-open it. Hope it will solve your problem. If you stuck or any more question please let me know.