nalosin
nalosin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  7+ years in troubleshooting and supporting computers, networks, mobile phones and other electronic devices.
31004542

Locked by Customer Service

Customer Question

Excel seems to have become corrupt; I can't copy from cell to cell, and the paste function gives only two choices (text, and something else I have forgotten), neither of which is any use. What shall I do? Iris xxxxx

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  nalosin replied 1 year ago.

nalosin :

Hello

nalosin :

and welcome to JustAnswer.com

nalosin :

I will try to help with your question

nalosin :

Do you have Office 2007 or 2010?

Customer :

2010

nalosin :

Ok. Can you please close all Office programs

nalosin :

then run the automatic fix from bellow link:

Customer :

They're closed.

Customer :

It doesn't work.

Customer :

It offers online help -- shall I accept?

nalosin :

Did you run the file? It takes at least 5 minutes

nalosin :

Yes, please accept

Customer :

I tried to run the file and after I agreed to the terms, it said it doesn't work on my application or something like that. If I accept online help from Microsoft Fixit, is that different from you?

nalosin :

Can you please write here the exact message you got when you run the file

Customer :

"This Microsoft Fixit does not apply to your operating system or application version."

nalosin :

Do you use Windows 7?

Customer :

Windows 7 Professional

nalosin :

Ok. We will have to use the harder way to Restore Excel to working condition

nalosin :

Please open Start and in Start Search type:

nalosin :

regedit

nalosin :

and press enter

nalosin :

Registry Editor will start

nalosin :

In it navigate to this path:

nalosin :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0

Customer :

OK. Now what?

nalosin :

Ok. Now there will be sub-folders under 14.0 folder

nalosin :

right-click on Excel folder and delete it

Customer :

Done. Now?

nalosin :

Now close Registry editor and try Excel

nalosin :

if it's still the same, you will have to restart computer for changes to take effect

nalosin :

then please open this page from email message we will send to you

Customer :

Still the same, so I'll restart and then look for your message.

Customer :

I don't have any message from you, but this page has re-opened

nalosin :

Did you already restart computer?

Customer :

Yes. And I re-opened Excel. And it still doesn't work.

nalosin :

Did you try to uninstall Office completely then to install it again?

Customer :

No, I followed your instructions to delete Excel.

nalosin :

This usually works, but if not you will have to uninstall and re-install Office

Customer :

If I uninstall it, will I be able to re-install Office?

nalosin :

Do you have the Office CD?

Customer :

No; we downloaded Office.

nalosin :

Ok. I will have to opt-out and open your question to other Experts as I am out of ideas. Hopefully someone will be able to remotely access your computer and help. Thank you

Customer :

Since this is supposed to be an urgent response, I would like to know how soon I can expect to hear. If it's going to be more than another half hour, I would like to cancel and have you refund my deposit.

Customer :

Please cancel this request immediately; there is no way you could now complete it on an urgent basis. Please also refund all amounts now on deposit with you, and send me a confirmation by email.