HandyAndy77
HandyAndy77, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  10+ years working with MS Office products. 3+ years Work experience with MS Office products.

in word 2011 for mac a warning message on the spelling comes

in word 2011 for mac a warning message on the spelling comes up upon opening any document. the OK button is the only one on it and clicking it does not close the message. Thereby every other function is blocked, even to quit can only be done by force quit. but the reopeneing only brings me back to the same spot.
How can I click the message away?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  HandyAndy77 replied 1 year ago.

HandyAndy77 :

Hello there. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’d be happy to assist you with your issue today.

HandyAndy77 :

So this can happen for a couple reasons

HandyAndy77 :

First off, did you do anythign specific when this started happening?

HandyAndy77 :

Also, is it all documents that produce this message or just certain ones?

HandyAndy77 :

First thing I would suggest is checking for updates for word

HandyAndy77 :

1. Open Word.

2. On the top menu, click Help, then Check for Updates.

3. Click the Check for Updates button.

4. Install all available updates until there are no more remaining.

Customer:

No I could be that a picture / table file placement in a word page was incomplete alternatively I was exploring to high light text in an other document to get the speller in German my default is american english.

HandyAndy77 :

I would check for updates first

HandyAndy77 :

This error can also be caused by messing with language settings

HandyAndy77 :

heres how to remedy that

HandyAndy77 :

1. Open a blank document in Word.

2. On the top menu, click Word, then Preferences.

3. On the first row, click Spelling and Grammar.

4. Under the Spelling heading, uncheck “Check spelling as you type”.

5. Under the Grammar heading, uncheck “Check grammar as you type”.

6. Click OK.

7. Open the document that you were previously having trouble with.

8. Press cmd + A to select all text in the document.

9. On the top menu, click Tools, then click Language.

10. Select your preferred language in the list and click OK.

11. Save the document.

12. If you wish, you can revert the settings that you changed in steps 4 and 5.

Customer:

I can open a new document when I quickly act upon opening Word but a second the message blocks everything

HandyAndy77 :

whats the second message?

Customer:

there is no second message sorry it meant a second after the page opens the message comes up and blocks everything menus are grayed also preferences

HandyAndy77 :

even when you just open the program by its self?

Customer:

yes

HandyAndy77 :

hmmm, let me see what else we can try

Customer:

when I open the program a number of previously opened documents come up as well but I can not switch to them after the message comes up

HandyAndy77 :

are tehy opening in a recovery mode? because you ahve to force close wor deach time

Customer:

I wanted to reinstall this office, but I had bought i 2 years ago by downloading and I do not know how to get to the old installation. upon attemps to upgrade from my current 14.0.2 to a current 14.2.4

Customer:

no they look normal with title on topic of window

Customer:

cont'd upgrade themessage comes up Mac can not accept the upgrade because office is missing a file or so

HandyAndy77 :

you should be able to redownload the original install files

Customer:

where would i find them I did m^not save the dmg

HandyAndy77 :

if you go here and download the trial, install that, then input your product key, should work

HandyAndy77 :

assuming you have your product key

HandyAndy77 :

this should work

Customer:

I do have an ID do you need to have a look? I bought it as a 'home version' that was offered to company employees using Office at work and came at a much reduced priced.

HandyAndy77 :

no i don't ened the id

HandyAndy77 :

if you download that trial, and then when prompted, enter your product id. should unlock the full version

Customer:

I have a US english version, when trying you suggestion with my current location Switzerland a German version is offere I dont want a german version all the commands are different

HandyAndy77 :

at the top of that page there is a dropdown for region

HandyAndy77 :

beside the search bar

HandyAndy77 :

see if that helps

Customer:

I find it exasperating that I get automatically German language website text. du to the internet a location service seem to be at work

Customer:

I will see how to proceed

Customer:

I have to leave the download proceeds very slowly can I come back a little later or tomorrow I do not believe it is done yet.

HandyAndy77 :

I'll be around for the next couple hours

Customer:

Thanks

HandyAndy77 :

we can always reconnect tomorrow as well, I work from home each day so I'm available a lot fo teh time.

HandyAndy77 :

Whatever works for you

Customer:

I have reinstalled from the web link you gave me abovr. It is sn english version and all office programs word xls and ppt are fine.

Customer:

the word cosuments now could be closed individually and addressed etc as normal . So the failure has been removed

Customer:

Thanks. It also seem to have the ID of my version from before

Customer:

So thanks and I hope I dont need to crawl bacjk with more trouble

Customer:

Wolf

HandyAndy77 :

Thats great!

HandyAndy77 :

so glad that worked for you

HandyAndy77 :

well if you do run into more trouble in the near future, even if you accept my answer we can still communicate thru here

HandyAndy77 :

so no worries

HandyAndy77 :

Pleasure working with you Wolf

Customer:

PS the version is the 14.0.2 the down loaded update can not be taken up because the destination (Mac hard drive ) ... because a version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume. I also could send a screen shoot (dont know how) but what is missing ? should I stall any of the intermediate version 14.1.... to 14.2.1 etc or ist this the special conditions I have bought the program for ? Even if I had to pay how could I upgrade?

Customer:

sorry its not an urgent need just an anoyance so dont spent too much thought on it . I am very glad you could help me Thanks

HandyAndy77 :

Are you getting this message when you hit, Help, then Check for Updates inside word?

HandyAndy77, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: 10+ years working with MS Office products. 3+ years Work experience with MS Office products.