NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

I used PC Backup v 7.522 to create a backup file that included

Customer Question

I used PC Backup v 7.522 to create a backup file that included my "Outlook.pst" file. My hard drive crashed. I replaced the hard drive and installed the same operating system (Vista), and my Microsoft Office suite, including Outlook. I the installed the PC Backup program; imported the list of backed-up files, asnd then restored the data. Everything seems to have been restored; except the Outlook.pst file. I have not been able to restore it. Is there a way that I can restore the Outlook.pst file?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  LeGin replied 4 years ago.

LeGin :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is LeGin and I look forward to assist you today.

LeGin :

Do you know the location of the pst file..?

LeGin :

Copy the pst file into the hard drive, once done you have to map it to outlook.

LeGin :

before that let me know the version of Outlook you have on this computer..?

LeGin :

r u there

JACUSTOMER-otrbdb20- :

I know the location where it is supposed to be restored. However, I don't have an original (or a copy) to copy, because the hard drive that the original was on crashed. The only version of the Outlook.pst file left, is locked in the backup file that I created with PC Backup. The backup file is about 50 GB. The Outlook.pst file included therein is about 3.66GB. The version of Outlook is 2007.

LeGin :

ok.

LeGin :

copy the pst file from the external HDD to you your computer HDD first

LeGin :

open this link > http://www.colorado.edu/oit/node/1525

LeGin :

hope this will help you map you pst file back to outlook

LeGin :

let me know ....waiting

JACUSTOMER-otrbdb20- :

The 3.66GB pst file is part of the 50GB backup (.nb7) file. I can't copy just a part of the 50GB file. Also, the file is NO LONGER in a pst format. It is the .nb7 format. I need to know how to restore this one part of the entire backup file. NOTE: he only program that I know of that will read the .nb7 file is the PC Backup program that created it. If you know of another program that will do the job (for sure) then let me know.

LeGin :

You have NovaBackup software on you computer..?

JACUSTOMER-otrbdb20- :

I have PC Backup v.522 by "StompSoft by Migo".

JACUSTOMER-otrbdb20- :

The version number I just sent is a typo. It is v 7.522.

LeGin :

There is a software which can read .nb7 format. NovaBackup software http://www.novastor.com/en/software/windows-backup/cj?x-affsource=cj

LeGin :

there is a free try offer you can install it and check if that helps you unzip

JACUSTOMER-otrbdb20- :

I will try it right now. Will you stay on the line? if not, how do I contact you if it reads and installs all of the other file

LeGin :

try it now ....i will wait

JACUSTOMER-otrbdb20- :

I didn't mean to send that last reply. Please wait for me to reply in a minute.

JACUSTOMER-otrbdb20- :

Thank you. I will try it right now.

LeGin :

ok

JACUSTOMER-otrbdb20- :

I am downloading the NovaStar software now. I will get back to you as soon as I have installed it and tried it. Please wait.

LeGin :

sure

JACUSTOMER-otrbdb20- :

I am waiting for the program to load. I think it is in an endless loop, because the install bar is not moving. I think I should cancel this instalation, and start over. Is that OK with you?

JACUSTOMER-otrbdb20- :

While I was writing that last note, the program began working. I am going to let it finish installing.

LeGin :

ok

JACUSTOMER-otrbdb20- :

I believe Nova Star is the successor to PC Backup by StompSoft by migo. In any event it is now installed, and I am going to see if it will restore the pst file. Please wait.

LeGin :

ok

JACUSTOMER-otrbdb20- :

The help documentation tells me to import the list of backed up files from the backup (.nb7 presumably) file. To do so, it tells me to click on a certain button. However, that button is not available in the trial version.

JACUSTOMER-otrbdb20- :

Basically, the help documentation tells me to do exactly what I did three times (to no avail) before I enlisted your help. I don't think it will do any good to buy the software, because it appears to be a newer version of the software that I already have (PC Backup). Do you know of a solution that will work?

LeGin :

This is the only software which create .nb7 format file. So that is only the option to unzip

LeGin :

you can try call and check before buying

LeGin :

Tel: +1.805.579.6700

LeGin :

or Email: [email protected]

JACUSTOMER-otrbdb20- :

I will call them tomorrow. If they are closed for the weekend, which they probably are, I will call them on Monday. Hpefully they can answer my question, because it appears that you can't.

LeGin :

The solution is only Nova Star as that is the only software which create this file format. So to extract you will require the same software.

LeGin :

I am not sure but you try this one > http://advancedfileoptimizer.com/file-extension/nb7/

JACUSTOMER-otrbdb20- :

I alrteady have the software that created the backup (.nb7) file. That same software read the backup file and restored 46.34 GB of files. The only file that it won't restore is the former pst file. That is what I said in my original question. I really don't think that a newer version of the same backup program will be of any help if the program that created the file won't read it.

LeGin :

Let me open this Question for other Expert, hope they can help.

LeGin :

As i am out of ideas

JACUSTOMER-otrbdb20- :

I am leaving for the night. How do I pick up again tomorrow? What is the identifying number of this chat? I was just about to write down the number when the chat started, and the id number left the screen. Thank you.