Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn.
19897260

Windows 7 has been attempting to install updates for a couple

Windows 7 has been attempting to install updates for a couple of months. It keeps going thru the motions and when done, says updates failed. The cycle has repeated numerous times. Can you make it work, or make it stop?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to help.

Lets try this complete process first.. And then if it doesnt work, I will need to know the KB numbers of each update thats failing to download.

This is an error in the actual update engine on your computer. lets try to repair it

Step 1

click start, all programs, accessories, right click command prompt..

click run as admin

type in

sfc /scannow ( with only one space before the / ) and then hit enter

Once this is finished. next go to the link below

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Where you see the picture of the fixit guy ( the microsoft mechanic)

click him, it should start a file download. Once downloaded, make sure you actually run the file. Then.. when the fixit program is running and it asks you what mode to use, choose aggressive.

Once its finished. Let the computer download the updates again , and try to install them. It should only happen just the once, and they should actually install this time.

You can get back to me on this same question, the same way you have been doing.. Just send me a reply.

Or..

Log into JustAnswer.com, then on the Top right, click on my questions

Then, click the "reply to expert" next to my face..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried the solutions, scan now verification showed no issues, did not get an option to select aggresive mode. Fix it ran thru till the end, restarted and updated, failed. Re ran fix it. Currently restarted and am attempting to install updates

Below are the kb #s
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2731771)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2719857)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2741355)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2735855)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2744842)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2749655)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2756822)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2743555)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2732487)
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2705219)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2732500)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2729094)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2647753)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2661254)
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jim.. The last message I receied said you were restarting, and attempting to install updates..

Were any of the updates able to install after that last step?

Please clarify where we are presently at, so that I can try to assist you further..

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Last attempt was about 9:30 EST, all updates are showing as failed. KB numbers in previous email are the latest

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok, lets try to manually download and install one of the updates directly.

Please click the link below

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34863

Download the update.. Then, manually open and try to install the update.

Will it install this way?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Says that update is not applicable to my computer.

I just downloaded IE9, is this causing the issue? It failed to update prior to IE9, so probably not.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Well.. Some of the updates listed were for Ie8..

The update i tried to have you download was for server 2008.. If you havent installed this on your computer, theres no reason it shoudl be trying to update it.

Also, none of the Ie8 updates should be trying to download or update..

Honestly, most of these updates are for software you dont have anymore.

And if you have never heard of sql server or server 2008, then the updates you mentioned dont apply to your system.

The best thing to do at this point, would be to hide those updates.. So that they dont keep showing when new updates come in to be downloaded.

this link will show you how to hide updates.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24376-windows-update-hide-restore-hidden-updates.html

If you run into any issues or have any questions, let me know.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the submit button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to submit your rating and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn.