Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn.
19897260

RA-mab

Customer Question

How to unprotect a document to make editing changes, when you don't have the password
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to help.

is this a word document, or a Pdf document?

And can you open the document and view it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is a docx

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Sandra. and can you open this and view it at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just found out it is in read only, not password XXXXX and I need to make changes to underlining that was rejected when dissertation was submitted. Yes I can view it, just can't get rid of underlining

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just found out it is in read only, not password XXXXX and I need to make changes to underlining that was rejected when dissertation was submitted. Yes I can view it, just can't get rid of highlighting- sorry for the mistake

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I already sent a reply

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you answering me here or on my email- very confusing

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
A note about how we work.. It may only take one solution to solve this, it may take several. I will stick with you till this is resolved. No matter how many attempts it takes, you will only be charged once, unless you start a new question. Also, please save your feedback till the end of the process.

My apologies for the delay Sandra..

Each time you respond, it puts your reply on the top of my list as a new reply.. And I work from oldest replies to newest..

Ok.. you found the document as read only.

Lets try this.

Right click the document itself ( outside of word, such as in the folder)

right click it, left click properties, and then uncheck the read only box.

Then click apply, then click ok.

Now try to open that specific document by double left clicking on it.

Can you edit it now?

You can get back to me on this same question, the same way you have been doing.. Just send me a reply.

Or..

Log into JustAnswer.com, then on the Top right, click on my questions

Then, click the "reply to expert" next to my face..

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the submit button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to submit your rating and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin