maomd
maomd, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Fifteen years plus providing efficient computer solutions, no matter how small or large.

How can i take spanish characters out of excel database

Customer Question

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  maomd replied 1 year ago.

maomd :

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be your expert tonight.

maomd :

Are you looking to remove just spanish characters, or spanish words as well?

Customer:

are you there

Customer:

I have a excel spreadsheet with the characters in the Company Name and in the address and i need to get them out

maomd :

Are they the same characters throughout?

Customer:

DESPAL PAULISTA AGRONEGÓCIOS BIOENERGIA LTDA 55 17 3551 1340 AV. FELIX HAFFID JOSE GATTAZ, 454 CENTRO IBIRÁ São Paulo
Engetech Comércio e Indústria de Plásticos ltda 55 21 3295 8800 Estrada Municipal São João caxias i 1640 City - State: São João de Meriti - Rio de Janeiro pq

Customer:

that is a sample

maomd :

Hmm, there won't be an easy way to remove all of that throughout the excel.

maomd :

We could remove individual characters, converting AGRONEGÓCIOS to AGRONEGCIOS

maomd :

Would that work?

Customer:

are they the same word

maomd :

No.

maomd :

And some of these words will not have an English equivalent without the spanish characters.

Customer:

can you not just chage

Customer:

change the spreadsheet from spanish to english

maomd :

Unfortunately not as the characters are set within Windows and changing it will only prevent additional spanish characters from being entered.

Customer:

then i guess you do not have a answer

maomd :

I do, but there isn't an automatic solution.

maomd :

The best we can do is remove the characters themselves, but the word won't be the same anymore

maomd :

What I think you're looking to do is translate it.

maomd :

And any application that will translate it for you will not get it perfect and can still leave some spanish characters behind.

Customer:

well i already know i can do it one at a time but this i a very large database and cannot be done

maomd :

If you're only interested in removing the characters, you can do a search and replace for each character (I believe there is only about 6 unique spanish characters) and remove them all from the spreadsheet.

maomd :

Would that be acceptable for you?

Customer:

would the address be correct

maomd :

There is no way to have the address correct without the spanish characters.

maomd :

If you change it, you leave the address open to interpretation and someone would have to guess what it is suppose to be.

Customer:

well i need the company name and the address to be correct

Customer:

sorry to have wasted your time

maomd :

You can save the company name and address in another sheet, do the find and replace, then return the name and address.

maomd :

Not a waste at all if we're able to work out an acceptable solution :)

Customer:

i dont understand that

maomd :

We'll preserve the company name and address by copying it somewhere else.

maomd :

Then, you can search and replace all spanish characters to remove them.

maomd :

Once removed, you copy the name and address back and they will be the only spanish characters.

maomd :

Would that work?

Customer:

then will the address be ok

maomd :

Yes

Customer:

what do you mean they will be the only spanish characters

maomd :

If we do a search and replace on the rest of the document, we can delete the remaining spanish characters.

Customer:

ok how do i do that

maomd :

All right.

maomd :

Go ahead and copy and paste the name and address to another excel document.

Customer:

can i just paste the whole document into another sheet

maomd :

But you will have to paste the name and address back when we're done.

maomd :

If you like, you can attach the document here and I can make these changes for you.

Customer:

how do i do that

maomd :

Go to this website and upload the Excel file. Remember, anything posted here will be available for everyone who knows how to see.

Customer:

ok i dragged it there now what

maomd :

You should have a link to it now.

maomd :

Paste it here so I can download it.

Customer:

I already sent it and i will leave it with you and leave my computer up...i have an appointment and i will not be back until 8:00 eastern time

maomd :

I do not see the link.

Customer:

i dragged it into where they said to

Customer:

pastelink.me/dl/abdac2 was i suppose to paste this here

maomd :

Thank you.

maomd :

I will go ahead and make these changes and upload the revised version.

maomd :

Please feel free to rate my service when you are satisfied.

maomd :

Thank you.

Customer:

thanks

maomd :

Please let me know if there is anything you would like me to do to it.

maomd :

Once you are satisfied, please remember to rate my service.

maomd :

Thank you!

Customer:

Not quite what i was looking for

maomd, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Fifteen years plus providing efficient computer solutions, no matter how small or large.
Expert:  maomd replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate you rating my service but to ensure your complete satisfaction, can you tell me a little bit more of what you're looking for? Maybe there is something further we can do to make it possible.