technicalcat
technicalcat, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  20yrs experience with advanced degrees
65369237

How do I disable the hyperlink warning message in PowerPoint

Customer Question

How do I disable the hyperlink warning message in PowerPoint 2010? I am going to distribute this for many people to use and it looks unprofessional when that message keeps coming up.

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  technicalcat replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service,

Which warning are you speaking of? What does the message say exactly? Also, you say you have been "reading". What exactly have you tried so far, and if you did try something please tell me the results so I can better assist you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The message says "some files can contain viruses or otherwise be harmful to your computer. It is important to be certain that this file is from a trustworthy source". It comes up when I have a hyperlink to a video in PowerPoint 2010. I have read but they all want me to change settings in windows or something

Are these links to files on the computer (such as an exe file), or http links to websites?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

files in the same folder as the pp presentation

Scott,

I may have to direct you through some registry changes to solve this problem, but first try this simpler approach. If you are running Windows 7, it should work. Essentially, instead of BROWSING to the files you are linking , as you probably have done, you will TYPE the full path as instructed below.

1.Select text or object (the link giving you the warning)
2.On “Insert” ribbbon click on “Action”
3.Click on “Run Program”
4.Instead of browsing to a file, add the command line **note – if path contains a space be sure to use double quotes around each section of the command
For example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "C:\Users\Ralph\Documents\BUsiness 66 Long15thEdition Ppts\My Slides\Customer_Feedback.flv”
6.** Use the full path to the files, but can also use relative paths as well.

If this works for you, please positively rate my time and help. If you have trouble, please positively rate my time and help, and then tell me what's going on so I can assist further. Please remember that rating positive costs nothing more, helps me, and I continue to assist all the same after positive rating. So please rate positively. Thank You.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is way above my head

Scott,

Perhaps you could get someone else to carry out the instructions I have sent? If not, please tell me where you are having trouble.

1) Are these files you are linking to .EXE files? That would be a file that you can CLICK and RUN on your computer.
2) Give me the name and location of one of these files.