Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Trained in Microsoft Office from 2000 through to latest version 2010.
65126503

I am looking for a way to enter in data in Excel and have it

Customer Question

I am looking for a way to enter in data in Excel and have it populate templates that we are using. The templates are currently a word doc and a text file. Right now we are typing in data manually and then copying'pasting it into the templates. I tried copying and pasting as a link from excel to word but it shows the box from excel and makes the format strange. I have read that creating a macro will do this but I am not sure how to do this.

Note that if there is better way like creating a database in another program etc, we are open to that as well. It does not have to be in Excel and the templates that we have can be in another format other than what we are using (Word and a text file), that was just a starting point for us. We just want a way to make this process smoother and more time efficient for us. Thanks!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 4 years ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help - macros would be one way of doing this but would it be possible to see the current files etc and work out the best solution?

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

JACUSTOMER-0e0m8yr1- :

Hi Steve,

Steve Herrod :

Hi

JACUSTOMER-0e0m8yr1- :

Sure!

Steve Herrod :

can you mail them to [email protected] for my attention? If you put the Question link in as well that should get to me as quickly as possible

JACUSTOMER-0e0m8yr1- :

ok great, I'll do that. I did not see a way to attach them on here

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Steve Herrod :

e-mail is usually the best way

JACUSTOMER-0e0m8yr1- :

ok just sent them.

Steve Herrod :

great - will check them when received and come back to you

JACUSTOMER-0e0m8yr1- :

sounds good!

Steve Herrod :

:)

Steve Herrod :

Have received files now and reviewing

Steve Herrod :

Am I correct in assuming the highlighted information is what needs to be collated into Excel?

JACUSTOMER-0e0m8yr1- :

Yes, the highlighted data are the fields that are continually changing for each item and we would like the highlighted data that is inputted to automatically populate into the certification report and the listing template.

Steve Herrod :

thanks - will see what the possible solutions are

Steve Herrod :

Apologies for the delay but having reviewed the documents and tried a few things it looks to me like the best option would be an Access database for the information as this would allow collation of the necessary fields and information and give good options to integrate with Word as well as reporting. An Access form could be created for data entry purposes as well

Steve Herrod :

I can create a quick mock up based on the sample data if that would help and send it through later today?

Steve Herrod :

Let me know

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve