NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

I cant open an excel spread sheet because it says file is

Customer Question

I can't open an excel spread sheet because it says file is damaged or modified.

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  jnayes replied 4 years ago.
Greetings

Depending on the version of Excel, there's a way to try to repair a corrupted Excel document (which is what it sounds like you have)

Without knowing the version of Excel my steps my vary, but they are pretty close to the same. Open Excel. Click File > Open and it will ask where the file is. Locate the file from within the open tool. Left click once to highlight, then click the arrow next to the open button. Select Open And Repair. Should you do this correctly you'll have two options. One is a straigh open/repair that will try to fix the file, and the other is an "extract data" dumping it to a new excel file. Try both and then let me know the results.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

12.3.4 is the Excell version I have for Mac.

I tried what you said. But the problem is that if I just click on >Open, the file I am looking for is not there. It is there when I click on >Open recent....and that is when I get the message that the file can't be opened.

The Open recent file I need has the extenion xlsx. That is the one I need to repair.

The one that is available but is not the correct one has the extension xls.

Expert:  comp_audio replied 4 years ago.
Not sure if your still looking for assistance. If so please let us know. Thank you.