Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

hi ,i have 1200 stores that i would like to put on my local

Customer Question

hi ,i have 1200 stores that i would like to put on my local google earth
i have a spreadsheet of all the addresses,how can i easily put them all in at once instead of doing them one at a time ?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Chris and I will be happy to assist you.

I think I am understanding what you need to do and it can be a very difficult process. I actually had to do something like this recently for a job I was working.

Basically what you need is to create a KML, KMZ, or GeoRSS document which you could then import into google maps.

It sounds like your spread sheet has the address but you didn't say anything about it having the longitude and latitude which it needs.

One way to accomplish this is through this website:
http://geocommons.com/

It will allow you to upload your spreadsheet and then you can export it to a KML which you could import directly into google maps. Full instructions can be found here:
geocommons.com/help/User_Manual

Now another service which I have yet to try is this:
http://batchgeo.com/

This can do the same thing by allowing you to import the spreadsheet and will create the map and then allow you to export to a KML file. It looks like they make it really easy and would be a good solution for you. Have a look at this video which easily explains batch geo http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nQCfoz69Bq4

Batchgeo does cost $99 for the pro version but may be worth it to you because what you are trying to do is not a simple project. It would take a long time to do all of that by hand.

It's too bad google maps does not have these features built right in but unfortunately to batch import these you will need to use another tool.

I would suggest you first try using geocommons since it's free and import your data and see how it looks on their map. If everything is acceptable export to a KML file and import that into google.

Good luck with the maps.
-Chris
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 years ago.

Just wanted to check in and see how this answer worked out for you OR if you still need help with this. If you do please reply back and let me know.

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have to forward ur answer to my tech guy n can't forward it , can u pls email me the answer to [email protected] , thank u
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 years ago.

There is not a way to forward the answer by email through the website. What I did instead was create a PDF document of your answer so you can download it and send it along to your tech guy.

Please go to the following link to download it and then you can just attach it to an email to send to the tech guy:
http://wikisend.com/download/440678/map.pdf

If you need more help please let me know.

Thank You
-Chris
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Chris

do u work in the NY area,if so

i would like to hire you for a hour or day n give u $200 to compleate this task,as i have confidential material that i cant e-mail to u,please advise

Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 years ago.
I am flattered that you would ask but unfortunately I have a full time job aside from answering questions on here and also we are not allowed to perform work off of this website. Even if we were allowed I would not have the time to complete this and am out of your area.

I think if you need to get someone local you may want to place an ad here:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/web/

You should be able to find someone local who can do this for you, also I think $200 is a fair price for the work involved. I would estimate it to take 4 to 8 hours to complete maybe quicker or longer depending on any problems that may arise.

You could place an add saying "Need someone to create a KML for google maps from an excel spreadsheet."

A lot of people who can perform this task look for projects like this on craigslist. There are other online sites however given that you need someone local I think craigslist is a great starting point.

Hope this helps.
-Chris
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your help

n will rate u ,as soon as my tech guy can get to this project,should be by the end of next week,Thank u for your services

Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome.

You may rate at a later date for sure and remember you can always ask me follow up questions related to this even after rating for no additional charge. So if you or your tech guy needs help and I will do my best to assist.
-Chris
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again
Expert:  Chris L. replied 4 years ago.
My pleasure.
-Chris