comp_audio, Microsoft O365 Trained Support Engineer
Experience:  20+ years experience supporting most all Microsoft Office applications.

I have a MS Word document created as a form. Originally, I

I have a MS Word document created as a form. Originally, I created the form in Excel, but those I work with didn't like the restrictions - wanted Word features. So now I need to know how to do the following:

1. Within in form, I used the formula function to average a group of cells. I want to limit the values in the cells from 0 through 5.

2. Zero values I want to appear in red font and for all other values the font should be black.

Is there a VBA statement that can do all this?

The best way to do that is to leave the table in excel then insert it into the word document it will be like a picture in a word document but you can click on it and retain all the functions of excel in that one spot.

to do that correctly in word go to

file / insert object / excel work sheet

then select the excel sheet and the part of it that you want to use.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is embedding Excel in Word the only option? My concerns are: (1) Will Word retain the protect function so that a user cannot expand the worksheet column, etc.?, (2) In my Excel sheet, cells requiring data are empty and an average formula appears below each section (five sections on the form require tallying, the remainder of the form is a text document), (3) the Word doument is protected by sections of the document- how does it react with an Excel spreadsheet embedded?

What other questions should I ask that I don't know to ask????

I honestly dont know. I am going to opt out and let somebody else work with you that may use this stuff all the time. I know how to do it and i know that is going to work a lot better for you than trying to get the word to do what excel can in its limitted table functionality.

You can put it into a frame and while they might be able to move the columns they couldnt move it to effect the rest of the word document.

You might want to use 2 sections of the spreadsheet. one where they can enter data and another where the formulas are and i believe that you could insert the second part as locked either in the excel or the word. Or i would just use the excels functions on locking down that part rather than the words.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is my next step?

i honestly cant give you step by step instructions. maybe somebody else here can. i have left it on opt out so they can jump in

but if i was doing it i would get the spreadsheet exactly how i wanted it and lock it down using whatever exel will give you to lock it down.

then insert it into the word document and see how well it works.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

At this point, I should wait for another support technician to reply? I do appreciate your help, but due to the nature of the users, I have to be absolutely sure that the end product works without issue. Thank you and I'll wait until I hear from someone for the answers to my questions.

I would like to assist you with this. Please let me know a good time to catch you online here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The best time is now, but I assume that most people aren't working at 5:50 a.m. (EST)! I'm just nuts. However, if you are awake at this hour, please send me a message.

Are you available anytime between 8:30 - 10:00 a.m. (EST) today, Nov. 6th? My job generally pulls me away from my desk, but I will get your e-mail message on my phone so as soon as I get it, I'll get to my desk and contact you soon after.

I should be on most all day. I will step away from my pc once in awhile, but msg me and I will be right with you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am at my desk now. I will keep the window open.

Hello, is there a way to you send me this word document so that I can take a look at it and see what we are working with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do you want to receive it? Do you want the original copy of the document rather than the test documents I performed the cut and past from Excel but it doesn't seem to work - especially for users with little Excel experience.

I would like both if that's okay, that way I can see what you had, and what your looking for in a [email protected]
I got a good look at the files and I believe I can assist you in getting the final results your looking for. Would you be okay giving me until tomorrow afternoon to give you a thorough answer and also send completed files to you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no rush at the moment. Staff members are using the more difficult Excel file until I can finalize the Word document. Is this something you can help with by Friday of this week or do you need more time?

I will do my best to get you a usable solution before Friday. Thanks for your patience.
Hello, I have sent you the files I worked on for you. Please review this to see if this is an acceptable solution for you. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.
Hello, if you found my answers helpful please let me know by accepting my answer and giving me an excellent rating. If you still need more assistance please reply and let me know so that I can continue to work to solve your problem. Thank you very much for the opportunity to work with you.
Experience: 20+ years experience supporting most all Microsoft Office applications.