flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies
23372949

Home & Business 2010 Question; My Outlook 2010 quit

Office Home & Business 2010 Question; My Outlook 2010 quit working after someone erased a file that I was unable to retrieve asI had a complete break down including my backup for that period.. I am 72 years old and just recently found I have Serious Lung cancer and was trying to get everything cleaned up so my wife can run the PC on her own. My problem is"cannot open your default email folders the files "c:\users\William McKinley\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\william_mckinley_msn.ost" cannot be found. How can I enter this file to get Outlook to again work I have been using it since 197___and have never had a problem like this before. UseXXX@XXXXXX.XXX until this email is repaired.

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.
the easiest thing to try if it worked recently is a system restore to when it was working

Other than that we can try to find that file which holds your emails from an imap server. Or we can just reset it and start over again if you wont need your old emails.

try the system restore first

System restore instructions - windows 7

type system restore in the white search box on the windows start menu and select system restore from the results

select restore to an earlier date.

Under the "suggested restore" which is usually not old enough to help is a link for "OTHER RESTORE POINTS"
click that if the suggested ones are not BEFORE THE PROBLEM STARTED

choose a date from the calendar that is BEFORE you experienced the problem

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

a restoring settngs box will appear with a status bar

when it finishes your computer will restart with the same settings it had on the date you restored to. your data will not be affected.

It is not perfect. But it fixes a lot of things.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried all the sim[le look at things sucvh as old backups that I can no longer get to work etc. Sorry to allow you the last path.

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.
try the system restore and then we can talk about other ways to get it back. But outlook does not use backups unless you made them yourself. But the ost file is only made as a local store for what is on an imap server that holds your email so its replaceable even if we cant find it.

we can maybe just tell the outlook not to use it. But please try the system restore to a date before the problem started. It is by far the easiest solution and no reason not to try it first.

System restore instructions - windows 7

select restore to an earlier date.

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My only restore date is 11/1/2012 I have installed thre new HDD and didn't retain any old file sources, I said I did some stupid things. The files are on a parallel server on Microsoft live and another on Microsoft Hotmail (MSN), I use OUTLOOK as does my WIFE and I want to get these restored to my PC how can we get the file back into my software?

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.
in the run box on the start menu

type

outlook /safe

hit enter

see if that will open the outlook

then go to
file / data file management

remove the ost file from the list.

then add the email account back under tools / accounts / add account
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will give you a wonderful rating if we can get this fixed before to night.

Bill

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.
i can definitely get the outlook working for you again if you know your email and password. the older emails i don't know. it sounds like they were on the old drive that you tossed so we are stuck with what is up on the email server.

try it the way i just said and if that does not work i have another way that definitely will but is a bit tougher and has less chance of getting things like your contacts back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When we have this working I will give tyou the top rating, not until we have a result, that is how I learned business. I was unable to get Out Look to open using your last suggestion using cammand line. I have tried what you suggested and have a list of files that downloaded. cannot tell that any are .ost files, it is not being shown on the file name. What next step do you want me to try?

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.
i dont know what you mean by files downloaded. downloaded what to what from where.

What you can do is

go to control panel / family / mail
click the button for profiles
add a new profile
give it your email address etc to set it up
give it a new name
check the box to use this new profile as the default

start outlook
it should send and receive email but it wont have your old contacts calendars etc. it might get your old emails if they were still on the server.

You can do a search for *.pst from the start menu or a folder window and make sure that you set it to search hidden and system folders
when you find one with data in it and a date that seems when you used it last copy it to my documents

then go to
file / data file management
hit the add button
browse to my documents and select the file
that should have all of the stuff from your old outlook such as contacts
they will show up in a seperate set of personal folders in the outlook folders window. you can use them from there or copy them to the new personal folders that were created by the new profile.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please advise how I connect with you if we become disconnected . I still am not connected part of the problem is I am unable to get Outlook to open as it will not with out the missing file being in the body of things. Now you have the rating and I am taking you at face value something I rarely do that you will see this to an end.

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.
you can add this page to your favorates list by clicking cntr D

then you can pull it off the favorates list and bounce right back at any time

by creating the new profile as above and setting it to default it will open outlook with the new profile and it wont be looking for that ost file as it was part of the old profile not the new one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This may work if you are willing to loose all the old files attached to the old profile. I was not willing to do this. I kept thinking abount this and the restore, I did not have any more recent HDD than those we tried. However, in my junk pile I had some rather current HDD with Windows XP systems. While looking in the junk pile I found a SATA to IDE and reverse addapter.

I figured the MSN installation still would be valid on these drives so early this morning I am switching out drives and jury rigging my old IDE drives to run on mySATA system. Walla ********* when I ran restore from there to here that file came over, which it would not do on any of three systems I had tried. Problem no files would come over and I thought I was lost, tried everything and still they would not move any files. I disconnected from IDE rebootedinto a steral Outlook enviroment. I started sending email through the system to friends family and such and asked the to return them. About1 hour ago they started coming in and then the MSN server started downloading as of now it appears I will recover everything,.

Man you tried and I am pissed that I contacted you had I just stuck it out I would have come to this conclusion which is the only way short of being about to insert that address into MSN proprietary langauge files.. Thanks for your imput now you will know what you have to do if there is ever a next time. Bill

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.
We could have imported back the old emails my way. What you did was find the file that you said you couldnt find. That is of course the best way to do it. I had to go by your restraints in fixing the problem that it was not findable.

In any case I am glad it worked out for you. If i did my job in a professional manner i would apreciate if you gave me a good rating. As my work here is judged on that and thats what allows me to be paid.

Thank you.
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience: degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies