flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies

I am repeatedly asked to update Security Update for Microsoft

I am repeatedly asked to update Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB2596764)

If I do download and install the installation fails and afterwards whenever I shutdown I am told 'updating windows update 1 of 1' .... I gather some machines have to be forced to shut down but my Toshiba running W7 does at least shut down.

I have tried many fixes with no success. This update relates to security issues on Powerpoint which I rarely use. Surely there is a solution other than perhaps uninstalling Powerpoint????

I'm sorry about the issue; since the Fixit did not work and you don't really use PowerPoint., let's try a workaround as it's the easiest/faster solution. Please go to Start, All programs, Windows Updates, then check for updates, then click on view updates. Then right-click on the problematic item and Hide it.

Please just reply via this web page if there is still any issue. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Firstly sorry.... this forum is supposed to be for Microsoft Office :(

I right clicked as advised .... surely this is the same as unticking the box at left is it not. If so I would guess that it will return as it has before.

Sorry, we provide support for all computer software/hardware issues. Don't worry, we guarantee our service. No, it is different. Can you please restart the computer and confirm? Please just reply via this web page if there is still any issue. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Before I do do I get back to this point in the consultation

You can bookmark/add to favorites this web page and/or check your email for message from JustAnswer in order to get back to me later via this web page. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Got back here via email! Have restarted and the offending attempted update 'Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB2535818)' is still there unchanged :(

Sorry, can you go to check and view updates again, then see if it is actually hidden (select the Hidden option after clicking on View updates.)

If it does not work, can you try each of the following until it resolves the windows update issue:

Please download and save, and run the System Readiness tool at

Please click on each of the links below one at a time, then click on Run now to download and save, then run the automatic fix to see if it can resolve the update issue; please try until it works:
Automatically diagnose and fix common problems with Windows Update
Diagnose and fix Windows security problems automatically
Automatically diagnose and fix common security setting on Windows

If that does not work, please go to
to run the automatic fix to reset windows update components.

If needed, download & run the this security update manually at

Please let me know again later. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Viet, I have followed the sequence. I did a system restore to a point before all attempts and went through the sequence again. Obviously repeated downloads will be expensive .... I saved and 'reused some. I turned off Macafee.... absolutely no upgrades will install. In desperation I will try the readiness tool again and leave it, if necessary overnight as I saw a report of the tool actually completing its task BUT it was by no means certain that it actually helped the main problem. There are many reports regarding this problem and no reports of success. If it were not for reports of big deficiencies with W8 I would almost consider upgrading. The madness is that I would be TOTALLY happy to ditch Powerpoint if I could be sure that other upgrades would work .... but I simply don't believed that this would occur.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Absolutely no success at all. The computer is working just fine and the only problem is that update(s) do not install and I am reminded either by the crazy closing message or invitations every 2 days or so to update :(
Certainly not yet pleased with $46 worth of nothing.
You can uninstall the powerpoint if you never use it.
You can turn off the windows update service so you are not reminded of it.

which other updates don't work ? If none of them do its your firewall or anti virus.

try totally uninstalling the macafee. if it asks whether you want to keep the settings say NO. then try the updates if it works you can reinstall the macafee. make sure you install it with default or common or average security. Whenever it offers "additional or stronger security" you wind up with a situation like if we lock you in prison you are definitely not going to get hit by a car crossing the street. It keeps you from doing anything more than it protects you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK will uninstall McAfee.

ok let me know how it works. You can always reinstall it. make sure to disable the windows firewall as well which will probably kick in when you remove the macafee. You can find that by right clicking on the network and selecting properties or firewall.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have uninstalled mcafee. Read article by Ed Bott suggesting third party antivirus unnecessary. Always wondered about that! BUT installation of Readiness Tool seems painfully slow.... described by another user with same problem as 'stuck' but eventually succeeded. Why is it so? I have turned off fire wall and reactivated Windows Defender. What next?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My original attempt to instal latest Powerpoint security update also still fails :(

what is the exact message that you get when you try to install it ?

and is there a box on the failure saying dont bother doing it again ?

here is an idea for you "thinking outside the box"

you can download the trial version of ms office from this link

your existing product key should turn it into a full paid version. But it will or should have the latest version of powerpoint and hopefully wont need that particular update.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Current version Office is 2010 .... will that upgrade as you suggest..... how do I get Key? Current version is (I think) from built in product which lives perpetually on partition of hard disk allowing ultimate ability to restore after catastrophic failure .... like when grandkids are let loose :)

Upgrade just failed again....message "unknown error" Code 80070643

Does suggest 'try again'...

it should be the same version if you have 2010 but hopefully with the updates that you dont have.

HOWEVER if you dont have the product key ( usually when pre installed its on a sticker on the computer ) than you are going to have a real problem turning it into the paid version. you would have to call microsoft and probably get a run around with them telling you to call the computer manufacterer and the manufacturer telling you to call microsoft.

I would try going to the control panel / programs
and do the repair option on the entire office program
and if you dont use the powerpoint you can just leave it off when you do the reinstall.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Actually think I do have the Key.... doesn't say Office per se but it certainly isn't the windows 7 key. Four groups of numbers and letters separated by - sounds more like Office?

I'll try the repair option.... and go to bed. Thanks for trying ..... my profile incidentally is a Paediatric Surgeon,part trained in Seattle.

Don't know how this works but may try to continue the discourse tomorrow.

you can bookmark this page or add it to favorates by hitting ctrl D
than bounce right back here by pulling it off the favorates list
or you can follow the links in the emails the site sends you.

i work various hours but try to get online many times a day. As soon as i log in and see a post from you i will respond
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Amazing.... I successfully repaired the whole suite.... still won't accept the 'security' upgrade. Really find it hard to imagine a significant security upgrade in Powerpoint! May have to try the Office download later.

I am now in the situation that I have abandoned McAfee (which really does'nt worry me too much.... as you said I can reinstall with different parameters... but then one would then sensibly want to optimise Microsoft's built in security system and maintain/update its constituents and associated core programs. I will continue the fight tomorrow!

ok post in tomorow when you are ready. i found some stuff that it might be related to either the ms office engine service not running or a bad version of the net framework

You can download the net framework from this link

you can check the office engine by putting in the start menu run box

hit enter

look in the list for ms office engine or ms jet engine
make sure that it is running and the startup type is set to automatic or automatic ( delayed )
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience: degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning. (Australia) Renewed net change

Found Office engine set to manual .... changed to automatic .... no effect

Downloaded trial Office .... used it to repair only .... no effect

Interestingly update is 'for Powerpoint 2007'! Crazy!

Bit reluctant to use download to replace Powerpoint or whole suite .... I have new and old Keys but bit scared I will be hit with PAY in 60 days! I would rather upgrade to totally new version if that were threatened!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Relist: Other. Both techs have been very persistent BUT we still do not have a solution! I have tried all suggestions. Seems odd that Windows keeps asking for an important 'security update to Powerpoint 2007 when 2010 (even repaired with new download) is installed????

All's quiet... awaiting reply!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Flopcat....hope you are again there.

Tried all above....all adjusted as necessary. Repaired Office. Still same problem.

System guarantees success .... hope this is still to be honoured!

I am back. What is the exact error that you are getting now. I will see what i can find again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried all suggestions .... direct contact with Microsoft lead to same ideas including 'restoring net framework to original state' which appeared to go smoothly but now another update 'Security Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2007 (KB957789) appears and cannot be installed.

Fortunately all that happens is a message saying 'installing update 1of1' after shutdown but it shuts down soon afterwards.

I think we have wasted enough time and effort on this. I only hope that relying on Microsoft Security Essentials (I uninstalled MCafee) is safe enough!