ComputerCare1199
ComputerCare1199, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Supporting computers and softwares for 8 years. Microsoft Certified. MCSA
63903440

I am working on a Mac with OSX 10.8.2 installed. I recently

I am working on a Mac with OSX 10.8.2 installed. I recently upgraded my Microsoft Office 2008 to Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac. I did drag and drop the Microsoft Office 2008 folder from my Applications folder into my trash and now only Microsoft 2011 shows up in my applications folder. When I am working in Excel (with large amounts of data and formulas, copying and pasting large amounts of data), I get a not enough memory error and then Excel shuts down and restarts. This happens every time I work in Excel. Help?

CompExpert :

hi,
Your problem seem like there is not enough memory or disk space on the internal hard drive for operating since you doing a lot of data on excel.

click on the apple menu --->> about this mac -->> more info --->> storage tab --->> let me know how much available space you have left? if you have less than 1GB of hard drive space then you might need to buy an external usb thumb drive and backup some of your data like music, video and picture to free some space.

also, go to link below and make sure you install all available update.
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask by reply in here.

Customer:

104.65 GB free of 188.48 GB

CompExpert :

click on the memory tab, how much memory did you installed on your system?

Customer:

And I have 4GB of memory installed (2, 2GB each)

CompExpert :

2,4,8?

CompExpert :

what you can check to see how much memory your system using, on spotlight search, type in activity monitor

CompExpert :

open activity monitor, click on the system memory tab

Customer:

1.3 GB free

Customer:

Using 2.7

CompExpert :

what you can do to test and see if the office software is your problem or the memory,

continue to used excel minimize the window screen so you can see both excel and activity monitor screen.. when excel crashed check the activity monitor see if the system memory is peak out or not

Customer:

Ok....if it is the system memory do I need to go with 8GB memory?

Customer:

and if not?

CompExpert :

since memory are cheap, i would recommend upgrade to 8gb, so you dont have to worry it anymore

Customer:

ok

Customer:

thanks