OfficeExpert
OfficeExpert, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Providing support for MS packages for more then 10 years
47701907

Drive E is not visible in Windows Explorer. I open files from

Drive E is not visible in Windows Explorer. I open files from an external drive from a program (Word, Excel). I have tried a number of things found on the internet - checking disk manager (any attached drive shows up); changing the drive letter, etc. and nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  OfficeExpert replied 2 years ago.

OfficeExpert :

The drive E are you talking about the cd/dvd drive or its a hard drive partition?

Customer:

Not sure what you mean by hard drive partition - it's an external usb drive (Seagate)

OfficeExpert :

that is what i wanted to know

OfficeExpert :

when you connect it to the computer it does not recognize that a hardware is found

Customer:

The drive does not show up in Windows Explorer but I can see it if, say, I try to open a file in Excel.

OfficeExpert :

go to start
right click on my computer
click on manage
then click on storage
then click on disk management
then right click on your device and select add letters and path
window will pop up then click on add
the select an alphabet and click on ok

OfficeExpert :

this should solve the problem

OfficeExpert :

let me know if you have further question.

Customer:

I have already tried this and it hasn't worked

Customer:

The drive actual shows up under E but in Explorer it does not appear

OfficeExpert :

are you using windows 7?

Customer:

No - Windows XP

OfficeExpert :

if you connect any other usb device on the computer does it get detected?

Customer:

Yes - I have tried the connection to a video camera and a headphone - those work. But no external drives appear in Explorer. I have tried two external hard drives and a USB stick

OfficeExpert :

1. Click Start then right click My Computer and click Properties

2. Click the Hardware tab and then click Device Manager

3. Locate the Disk drives item in the list and click the small arrow to the right to expand the list of drives

If a disk drive is disabled you will see a red X over the icon of the disk drive

If you see an icon with a red X over the icon of the disk drive, double-click the icon and click the Enable Device button

4. Click Next on the Enabling a device dialog box, and then click Finish

5. Click Close and then close the Device Manager window

Note: If you don't see your disk drive in the listed drives, the drive may not have been detected by Windows.

Note: If you receive an error message when Enabling the disk drive, you may have a defective disk drive.

Customer:

There isn't a red X - also I have already tested the drive on my Mac and it works just fine

Customer:

The problem seems isolated to Explorer

OfficeExpert :

one last option is left

OfficeExpert :

run this tool till it reboots the computer

OfficeExpert :

after reboot connect the drive it must fix the problem

OfficeExpert :

run combofix and let me know how it goes.

OfficeExpert :

if issue persists the windows os needs to be reinstalled.

Customer:

That did fix the problem - thank you fro your help.

OfficeExpert :

please rate my service by clicking on the smiley

OfficeExpert :

let me know if you have any question.

OfficeExpert, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Providing support for MS packages for more then 10 years