Molinari
Molinari, MS Office Tech
Experience:  Certified IT Guru
16561526

I have installed Microsoft 2010 on on my new laptop and when

Customer Question

I have installed Microsoft 2010 on on my new laptop and when I launch 2010 Exel a prompt appears if I will this program to makes changes to my hard drive. Why????
Also I cannot define Microsft Excel as the defualt program to open Excel files in Windows Explorer. It opens in Word. Microsoft and Excel do not appear as one of my default programs. Why?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Molinari replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like it may not have installed....

Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 and look for EXCEL.EXE and click on it and see if it opens.

Let me know what happens...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did as requested but do n ot see Excel.exe Though I have excel and it works.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did as requested, I open and found C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 but there was no EXCEL.EX to click on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did find the file afte all and when I clicked on it ...it prompted " will I allow the program to change my hard drive

Expert:  Molinari replied 1 year ago.
Ok, did you say yes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Back up...

I found the Excel.Exe file and clicked but it said it could not open, I then found the excel file name just above it and clicked on it and it prompeted will you allow make a change to hard drive.

Expert:  Molinari replied 1 year ago.
Ok, go to control panel, programs and features, choose microsoft office and click on change. Then click on add or remove features and make sure excel is included, then hit back, then click on repair.

Let me know what happens...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have done just as requested and confirm Excel was listed returned to repair and pressed enter and it finished rebooted.

Now when I attempt to open excel files it shows open with open with microsoft 2010 but when double clicked it say that there are no pic or doc etc to view...of course not as it is a spreadsheet. So now What?

Expert:  Molinari replied 1 year ago.
Ok, right click on an excel file, and choose open with, then if excel isn't in the list, pick choose default program, then if excel isn't on that page, choose browse and go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ and choose excel.exe....

Let me know what happens...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have done as asked and still it will not open Excel with excel only cannot view.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did as requested a nd now I can open an excel file but obnly if I ask if I will allow this program to make changes to my hard dirve. Which was I my original question. What do I do?

Expert:  Molinari replied 1 year ago.
go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ and right click excel.exe and choose p[ropeties, then click on compatibility, then click the run as admin button, then change settings for all users, then click run as admin on that window, click apply, ok, apply, ok....

graphic

Then click on an excel file and see what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did as requested but still opens with dialogue box permission to to change hard drive.

I I find the answer before you do I will share it with you , but I still have to pay?

Expert:  Molinari replied 1 year ago.
Try this:Type UAC into the search box from the start menu. Click on change user account settings, Then drag the slider down to the bottom.

User Account Control Settings

Reboot and see if that fixes it.

You only pay for an answer that works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried this before we spoke and it does not work either. Though, I have found the answer to the issue and it the program. The program was download from Microsoft and as such the format called click and run creates this permission request which cannot be removed unless the program is deleted and reloaded MSI Based Office:

Expert:  Molinari replied 1 year ago.
I should have asked how you installed it...

I assume you've seen this then.....

Switch from Office Click-to-Run to MSI-based Office

The license is the same. You do not need a new Product Key. If you have any questions, contact Microsoft Support.

1. Save all work, and then close all programs.
  2. In Control Panel, open Programs and Features to see a list of installed programs.
  3. Click Microsoft Office Click-To-Run 2010, and then click Uninstall.
  4. To remove Microsoft Office Click-to-Run, click Yes.
  5. Go to the Microsoft Office alternative fulfillment page.
  6. Click My account.
  7. Click Download, and then click Advanced options.
  8. Follow the instructions.
  9. To install the MSI-based Microsoft Office edition, run SingleImage.exe.
  10. When prompted, type your Product Key to continue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So as I found the answer before you do I still have to pay?

Expert:  Molinari replied 1 year ago.

Nope, I'll close it and send it for a refund.