Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years

Im using word 2010 on Windows Vista ultimate 64 bit. Every

I'm using word 2010 on Windows Vista ultimate 64 bit. Every time I use a short cut to copy and paste word crashes. I've run the fixit files and folders solution but the problem recurs
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Are you saying that when you press Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste, Word 2010 crashes?

What about copying through the commands in the menu and then pasting through the menu (not Ctrl + C / Ctrl + V), is Word still crashing?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not certainbecause I've used both methods at different times but suspect most occurrences are with ctrls

Do you get any error message? Or Word just freezes with the (Not responding) label at the top of the window?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No error messages. Just crashes and says its restarting word

First, please do the following:
  1. Close MS Word and make sure that it is not running in the background or that all Word documents are all closed
  2. Now, open MS Word in Safe Mode. This is done by first, locating the MS Word shortcut icon. DO NOT double click to open it yet. Instead, press and hold the CTRL key, then click or double click the MS Word icon to open Word
  3. If you get a prompt, please click on OK or YES to confirm the action of opening MS Word in Safe Mode
  4. A label "Safe Mode" shall appear at the top of the Word window
  5. Then try copy and paste and see if Word will not crash

Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wilco, get back to you soon

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Back again Jess. Success. No problems in safe mode and would you believe after I closed safe mode and started without it. What I did was fire up as instructed in safe mode then copied and pasted to and from at least three documents as well as later copying text from a web page. All OK. I then shut down safe and started normal mode with the same result. Touch wood, no crashes so far. What's the cause? Or what should I do in the future if it comes again? Could this be the only occasion it worked for me tonight my time? Regards, Wayne

Thank you for writing back.

The cause for this could be your Word Plugins. They are turned off when you are in Safe Mode. That could have helped resolve the issue since opening Word in normal mode could have left the faulty addons or plugins off.

First, I suggest that you do the following cleanup procedures to ensure that your computer is optimized and clean.

Cleanup with CCleaner

NOTE: If you are using a program named Roboform, please do not proceed with CCleaner cleanup. Roboform Data will be removed by CCleaner.

Please download the FREE version of CCleaner from this link:

Download FREE CCleaner Here or this link

After you download the free tool, install it and run the scans and tests. By default, it runs CLEANER to cleanup from all system mess which includes all unwanted files, temporary files, temporary internet files, orphaned files and more. Make sure that all this mess that the Cleaner program has detected is removed. This will free up some space in your hard drive while speeding up your system as well.

Next, run REGISTRY Cleaner and fix the found problems. Run this REGISTRY cleaner several times and fix the issues until no issues will be found.

In order to run the Registry cleanup mode, open CCleaner, then look at the left panel of the CCleaner window. Locate and click the Registry link there and that should give you the Registry cleanup mode. Then click on the Scan for issues button. When the scan reached 100%, click FIX issues to remove the errors from your system. Then click the Scan for issues again then FIX whenever issues are still found. When no issues are found, close CCleaner.

After the cleanup, your system shall be clean, optimized and registry error free.

Now, if the problem happens again, and opening Word in Safe Mode then back to Normal mode won't help, please check your MS Word Options and disable or turn off some of the plugins, one at a time until you can see which plugin is causing Word to crash. When you derive such conclusion, you can then leave ALL other plugins or addons enabled, and disable ONLY the one that causes the problem.

Here are the sptes by Microsoft to disable plgins or addins:

1. Click the Microsoft Office Button Button image, click Word Options, and then click Add-Ins.
  2. View the add-ins and application extensions that are categorized as follows:
    • Active Application Add-ins Lists the extensions that are registered and currently running in your Office program.
    • Inactive Application Add-ins Lists the add-ins that are present on your computer but are not currently loaded. For example, smart tags or XML Schemas are active only when the document that references them is open. Another example is the COM add-ins that are listed in the COM Add-ins dialog box. If the check box for a COM add-in is selected, the add-in is active. If the check box for a COM add-in is cleared, the add-in is inactive. To learn how to open the COM Add-in dialog box, see the section called Turn off or manage the installed add-ins.
    • Document Related Add-ins Lists template files that are referenced by currently open documents.
    • Disabled Application Add-ins Lists add-ins that were automatically disabled because they are causing Office programs to crash.
Source: Microsoft

Detailed procedures are also found here:

Please be sure to rate my answer with 3 or more stars/faces if this helped
. Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further. If you have further question, please DO NOT rate my answer with 1-2 stars/faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jess, I use cccleaner all the time so the error is occurring despite that approach. I will however look into the add-ins and the other guidance and let you know how I go. Many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX really frustrating for the last week or two but I think it will be better from now on. Regards, Wayne

Thank you for the positive rating. Yes, you can try the add-ins approach when the problem re-occurs and let me know your results so that I can help you further.

Best regards,