Jason
Jason, Computer Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years work experience.

i ACCIDENTALLY DISCARDED IMPORTANT AND MANY HOURS OF WORK IN

i ACCIDENTALLY DISCARDED IMPORTANT AND MANY HOURS OF WORK IN A WORD DOCUMENT. pLEASE HELP
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  OfficeExpert replied 1 year ago.

OfficeExpert :

Microsoft Word will "lose" documents in certain situations. For example, it may lose a document if Word is forced to quit unexpectedly, if your computer has a power interruption while you’re writing, or if you close the document without saving changes.

If you don't know how the Word document was lost, if it may have been deleted a long time ago, or if it has been overwritten or corrupted, then it is best to use Data Recovery Wizard. This product is often able to recover Word documents even when parts of the original file have been overwritten, by searching for previously saved copies made while the document was being created and edited.

Searching for the Original Document.

• In Windows, click Start, Search, and then For Files or Folders.

• In the Search for files or folders named box, type the file name.

• In the Look in box, click "My Computer". (This searches your entire computer - if you know that the file is in a specific area, for example, "My Documents", then change this accordingly.)

• Click "Search Now". If the Search Results box does not show the file, continue with the following steps to search for all Word Documents.

• In the Search for files or folders named box, type *.doc. Tip: In computer terminology, the asterisk * is used to select all options. By entering *.doc you're telling the computer to search for all files with the .doc extension.

• Click "Search Now".

If you still cannot find the file, open the Recycle Bin and follow these steps.

• Open the Recycle Bin.

• On the View menu, click Details.

• Click Arrange Icons and click by Delete Date. This allows you to filter this list according to the date when the files were deleted. If you know that your files went missing yesterday, you can look at this date.

• When you find the document that you are looking for, right-click on it, and click Restore.

Search for Word Backup Files.

WMany users rely on the Always create backup copy setting (see Tools > Options > Save tab) to automatically create a backup copy of their files.

While the obvious advantage is that it always creates a backup file, the downside is that it makes Word work very hard. As it has to continually save backup copies, it will reduce your computer's performance. Quite often, Word will freeze when it backs up a large file.

To find the backup file, follow these steps:

• Open the folder where you last saved the missing file.

• Search for files with the .wbk extension. (Word BacKup)

Search for AutoRecover Files.

• Double-click the file in the Document Recovery pane.

• Click Save As.

• Save the document as a .doc file.

OfficeExpert :

let me know if this helps.

OfficeExpert :

please check this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316951

Customer:

Where do I search for AutoRecover Files

OfficeExpert :

Search for Temporary Files.

• Click Start, click Search, and then click For Files or Folders.

• In the Search for files or folders named box, type *.TMP.

• In the Look in box, point to the arrow, and then click My Computer.

• If the Search Options are not visible, click Search Options.

• Click to select the Date check box, click in the last "n" days, and then change "n" to the number of days since you last opened the file.

• Click Search Now.

• On the View menu, click Details, point to Arrange Icons, and click by Date.

• Scroll down searching for files that match the last few dates and times that you edited the document.

Search for "~" Files.

• In Windows, click Start, click Search, and then click For Files or Folders.

• In the Search for files or folders named box, type ~*.*.

• Click Search Now.

• On the View menu, click Details and then sort by Date.

• Scroll through the files for documents that match the last date that you edited the document.

If the recovered Word document is still damaged.

Microsoft Word tries to automatically recover a damaged document if it detects a problem with the file. You can also "force" Word to try to recover a document when you open it.

1. On the File menu, click Open.

2. In the File of type list, click All Files *.*.

3. In the Open dialog box, select your document.

4. Point to the arrow on the Open button, and then click Open and Repair.

Or try using some Microsoft Word document fix tool. These products are often able to repair corrupt Word documents using text found in previously saved copies of the file. Our product will have the word fix function. You can send the files to us repair. Please see: File Repair.

Customer:

Could I explain the situation more fully and could you kindly help me with a focused answer.

OfficeExpert :

one question i would like to know

OfficeExpert :

was the file saved earlier on the computer?

Customer:

I started the document yesterday and saved it. I then opened it up and typed for about 6 hourswithout saving at any stage. I closed the document accidentally without saving it. Can I recover what I had typed. I did not do any further work anywhere else in Word so as to cause minimum obstruction if my work is recoverable.

OfficeExpert :

ther is an auto save option in ms word and if that is enabled it saves the file once you have given the file a file name and it saves the typed work automatically however if it is not enabled there is no way we can recover the typed document

Customer:

The autosave is enabled to save every 10 minutes. But, the document did not close down through a power outage or anything else. I closed it without saving as I had many documents from which I copied, and tried to close them without saving them. I accidentally then clicked "don't save'.

Customer:

Are you still on my case or are we done?

OfficeExpert :

i will open the question to other experts for there view.

Customer:

Thank you.

Customer:

It would appear that my question has been abandoned or that I cannot be assisted. I will need an answer in the next few minutes as I will probably have to start over again.

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away with your Microsoft Office issue, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Lindie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It would help if someone could help in the next hour or so. I will have to catch up on some sleep now and start all over again in a few hours if there is no reprieve. I would say that I have a 2 hour window after which I will have to restart my work. Tx

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
I have posted my original question about 12 hours ago. My 'expert' did not seem to comprehend the exact nature of my question and just went quiet and nothing of any substance has happened since.
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Rachel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. I opened and saved a Word document yesterday.

I later put in 6 hours worth of edits without saving the document - not once. When I was done I closed a number of other documents that were open too. I accidentally closed my main document but must have entered 'don't save'. I only have the earlier (pre 6-hours) version. I have not done anything further in the original document in the hope that this will help me retrieve the information. Unfortunately my laptop went to hibernate and I has to restart it this evening. I did not work on anything else, in Word or any other programme, save for emails - in the hope that this may also help.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Greetings,

Thank you for your question and your time today.

My name is Jason and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

I am truly sorry to report this, but there is absolutely no possible way to retrieve that lost data.

When you close Word and choose "No" when prompted to save changes or not, Word erases 100% of the changes from it's memory and it's saved data files.

I do not want to you continue waiting around, hoping that something can be done because it would be a waste of time for you.

Please, let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jason,

I am a veteran PC user (since 1986). I knew that I had lost the edits. When I posted my question around 12 hours ago, I was hoping that someone would either have a solution (that I was not aware of) or for confirmation that it was irretrievably lost.

The urgency was clear. All that I got was faff followed by a very very long silence.

I post this reply in the hope that it will stay on the system somewhere. If not, could you kindly forward it to the Justanswer administrators. I liked your quick response and your painful but straightforward answer. If only the others could have displayed the same professionalism - it could have saved me a lot of time.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Thank you for the update.

After you rate my help, I will forward this up to the administrators, as you wish. Once I send it up, I will not be able to communicate any more through this page/question.

Please, bookmark the following page if you ever want to work with me directly. Any new questions posted at the following page will be sent directly to me: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-computertechmaster/

Thank you,
- Jason

Jason, Computer Technician
Experience: Over 10 years work experience.