NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.

I have a spreadsheet in Ecxel 07 locked for editing. When

Customer Question

I have a spreadsheet in Ecxel '07 'locked for editing'. When I click to open the spreadsheet I only get line 1 with the title. Questions: How do I retrieve the entire spreadsheet? Can I then unlock it to edit ? Can I then save in the regular manner? Do I need to rename it?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Ryan-CTech replied 4 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JA!. In order to better assist you could you please upload your workbook to After upload please provide me with the File ID number or Download Link. Please replace any “Private” data with dummy values to protect your privacy.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is a financial file of capital gains & losses. It's not practical to change the information for privacy when I cannor see it! Surely the procedure is what I require not a full blown analysis. I've used this type of spreadsheet for the past ten years without difficulty. What I require is a simple -how to do it in straitforward steps. GAB 01/10/12 17:55 EDT

Without seeing the file to know whats going on I will have to Opt out. A new Expert will reply to you soon :)

Please wait until you receive an answer to Rate :)
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-83mccr04- replied 4 years ago.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you with trying to resolve your issue. I believe all excel users have seen the "locked for editing" message one time or another. What makes resolving this particular problem tricky is that there are multiple causes for the problem, and thus multiple solutions.

First though, I need a bit of information:

What version of Windows are you running?

How are you opening up the Excel workbook? are you clicking on an icon in windows explorer, on your desktop etc?

------------- if so, try opening up the file from excel by using File>>Open and see what happens

Also, I am assuming that you are sure that nobody else has the file open correct?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

• Thank you for your offer to help after your colleague opted out.

• I was not pleased with his cavalier attitude and rate his input as useless.

• While waiting for you I studied my on line Excel manual and found the problem could be solved by clearing the filters.

• Thank you again. I hardly feel that I've received value for money on this enquiry. Whether or not you refund the $18.00 is your choice.

• GAB 10/10/12 21:15 EDT

I am certainly happy to hear that you found a resolution to your issue. Your account is only charged when you give a good rating.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not satisfied with the advice given by either expert; i.e. both requested more information before giving advice; as this involved personal tax information, I declined to do so. Found the solution myself; don't believe the service merited the charge; believe a refund is due; but will leave that to the conscience of the service. Thanks for your willingness to help. Did it help - No! GAB 11/10/12 10:45 EDT