IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional

All of a sudden I cannot save or make any editing changing

All of a sudden I cannot save or make any editing changing to my spread sheets. I'm getting symbols when I try to edit. This is a 2003 version. Any suggestions

Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you solve your problem.

Does it happen only to for Excel documents you have created or to newly created documents as well?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK. Open either old or new Excel document and type some random text into one of the cells. If the symbols appear, select that cell and change font to a different one.

Are symbols still there?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no the numbers are there but the program quits each time I do anything

Please download and try to open these two Excel test files:

#1. Excel 2003 file - LINK
#2. Excel 2007-2010 file - LINK

Does the same problem appear in both documents?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I got the following error message downloading the 2007 - The file you are downloading cannot be opened by the default program. It is either corrupted or it has an incorrect file type.

And what about 2003 file - did it open successfully and display you text and numbers?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it did but it would not allow me to make any changes as is has the same symbols when I try to use the pulldown icons - then it errors out the same

I see. Then there is definitely something wrong with your Microsoft Excel 2003. There are few ways of repairing it. Could you tell me which Windows version do you use so that I can give you the right instructions?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Windows XP Professional

OK. You can first repair whole Microsoft Office 2003 installation. To do that, click Start > Control Panel and click on Add or Remove Programs icon. A list of all installed programs will open. There locate Microsoft Office 2003 and click on it. You will see Change button - click on it. When a new window opens, select the Repair option. Before you proceed with the repair, make sure to exit all Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc).

When the repair process is over, open either existing or new Excel document to see if there are any changes.

Alternative way would be to use System Restore to restore computer state to a date when all worked fine. Here is how it is done:

1. Click Start, then All Programs > Accessories -> System Tools and click System Restore
2. When the System Restore window opens, select Restore my computer to an earlier time and click Next
3. Using a little Calendar on the left side, select a bold date - choose a date when you know Excel worked fine
4. One Restore Point should be highlighted on the right list
5. Now click Next, twice
6. Your computer will now restart and restore all system settings to the date you selected

Don't worry about your personal files because they won't be affected by this process.