jnlichen
jnlichen, IT Manager
Experience:  15+ years supporting users, computers, & software.
39939051

I exported a group of records into an excel spreadsheet to

I exported a group of records into an excel spreadsheet to use in a registration process for an event we had, at which information for several records was updated. Now I need to import the updated records into our database. What's the best way to accomplish this without creating duplicate records?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  jnlichen replied 2 years ago.

jnlichen :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you.

jnlichen :

What type of database are you using?

How are you connected to this database?

Customer:

It's local, on my computer.

Customer:

It's a Microsoft Access 2010 database.

jnlichen :

Hello, the easiest way to accomplish this is to add the data to your database by using the "Get External Data" tool.

Customer:

OK, but I don't want to create new records. I want to use the external data to update EXISTING records.

jnlichen :

Import the excel file into Access into a temp table. Run an update query to take the information from the temp table and update the permanent table.

Customer:

How do I run an update query? I've never created such a query.

jnlichen :

Here is a link to a sample.

jnlichen :

Give it a try and let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer:

Will do. Thanks.

jnlichen, IT Manager
Experience: 15+ years supporting users, computers, & software.
Expert:  jnlichen replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I made the mistake of not exporting the primary key when I created the external list. So, now that I'm using the external data to update records in my database, I have to use less perfect fields to match records in both tables. My solution, if it is one, is to join the tables using the LastName field AND the FirstName field - because a couple of records share last names with each other.

Before I run this update query, does that sound right to you?

Expert:  jnlichen replied 2 years ago.
Jeremy, give it a try. Without seeing your tables and data, I will have to trust your judgment as you know what you have.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Seemed to work. Thanks!

Expert:  jnlichen replied 2 years ago.
You are quite welcome. Please leave positive feedback on my answer above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FYI, this thread can be closed.