Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

"FOR CHRIS SHORES ONLY PLEASE" On September 10, 2012, I

"FOR CHRIS SHORES ONLY PLEASE"

On September 10, 2012, I tried to reply to an Outlook e-mail that someone sent me and I got a response that said Undeliverable: The receipt's domain does not resolve. So, I thought that the person changed e-mail addresses on me and I let it be. However, a few days ago, I received an e-mail from this same person and at the top left corner of the e-mail, it had the exact same e-mail address as the one that I thought did not exist anymore. However, at the bottom of the e-mail letter, it said that the e-mail came from the receipient's i-Phone. Does the fact that the e-mail came from the receipient's i-Phone make a difference or does all of this mean that the receipient's e-mail address exists again? Thank you for your assistance.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am a Moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Expert:  maomd replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm another e-mail expert. I see that your expert hasn't responded yet and, if you're willing, I would like to answer this for you. Would that be okay?

Thank you,
Mark
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in response I was offline most of today.

The fact that person sent the email from an iphone should make no difference at all.

This sound more like a temporary server error. I would suggest you try replying to the email again and see if it goes through.

If you get the same error please reply back and let me know the domain the person is sending from meaning @gmail.com, @aol.com, @somethingelse.com for example.

Also if possible copy and paste the exact error message so I can analyze it.

Thank You
-Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is it possible for a person to deliberately cause their e-mail address to be non-existent for a temporary period, but then deliberately fix it to be existent again? I believe this receipient may have been trying to dodge a question that I asked her, but because she works for an organization that wants money, or rather donations, that is why I think she is initiating contact 27 days later. Previously, 27 days ago, I tried replying twice, and I got the same Undeliverable message as I described and indicated above.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Well she could send from one email address but have the reply to address set to something different so the reply would not go through.

Is this person asking you for money? Do you know them in real life? I get a little concerned whenever I hear something about money because there are a lot of email scams on the internet.

Can you copy and paste the returned mail in your reply to I can check it out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She is not asking for money, really. She is more like romancing. I don't really know them in real life other than that I have spoken to them over the phone. They are not a scam though. I have voluntarily donated money to them before. But due to limits on resources, I narrowed down the organizations I donated to from 4 to 1, and although this is a good organization, it is not the organization that I chose to stick with. But since she would contact me every month, it was hard for me to just stop donating. So, instead I asked for her opinion on the following website and told her to be sure she had the volume on her computer on when she checked the website out:

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/false_prophets.htm

And that's when I got the Undeliverable message a month ago.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you for that information.

What I would suggest you try next is to not reply to an email to this person but rather create a NEW email and manually type their address in and try to send it and see if it gets bounced back to you.

If it does bounce please copy the exact error message and let me know what it says and we can continue to work on it.

It is very unlikely that they would "turn off" their email forcing it to bounce, not many people have the ability or know how to do that because most people do not control their own mail servers.

Please try emailing them and if it bounces please let me know.

Thank You
-ChrisSmile
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I mistyped the website the first time and then corrected it. Did you see the website after I typed it in correctly on the second attempt?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
The false prophets website? I saw this one yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I also don't know if I made it clear that when I asked her opinion on it, the e-mail went through. 3 days later, she said she hadn't seen the website yet, but hoped to have time soon. She said she was busy with something all day on that day and would be out of town on the following day and she also asked me if I had received her invitation to some luncheon of the organization and asked if I thought I would be able to attend. She knows I was afraid of flying though. Anyway, I tried twice to respond and tell her that there was no rush and to take her time, and both times I got the Undeliverable message. That was on September 10th. And a few days ago, she contacted me by regular mail and also by e-mail using her i Phone at 7:30 p.m. when before she always contacted me using her computer during working hours. Is your advice still the same after knowing all of this extra new information?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is. It sounds like her mail server had a temporary problem.

Anytime you receive one of those undeliverable messages it is coming from the email server not the persons account.

Here I will try and explain better with this diagram.

Your Email----->Their Mail Server--->Their Inbox

Now if their is a problem with their mail server it would be like this

Your Email----->Their Mail Server<----There is a problem and the mail server lets you know.

So this means that the mail never reached the recipients inbox, it reached their mail server and the mail server had a problem and reported back you with an undeliverable message.

Since the mail went through later it is confirmed that this was a temporary issue, it happens sometimes and is not uncommon.

If you need further explanation please let me know.

Thank You
-Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But it was my e-mail to her that didn't go through and it was her e-mail to me that did go through.That still doesn't make a difference?

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
No it doesn't really make a difference, the server could have allowed for outgoing mail to still function correctly but was having a DNS issue which would make it unable to receive.

DNS means domain name service a domain is an email address for example @website.com the website.com part is the domain. Now really the domain is numbers like this 75.55.23.01 for example.

DNS resolves the names to the numbers meaning it knows to point website.com to 75.55.23.01 . In the case of your email there was a problem where DNS was not able to do that so it could not find the persons inbox in a timely manner so it sent you an undeliverable report saying that there was this problem.

It is pretty complicated stuff but I hope this makes sense.

Thanks
-Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sort of. I am more so confused because the expert named WindowsPCFix (James) didn't tell me a month ago what you are telling me now. WindowsPCFix (James) lied to me and lead me to believe that the e-mail address didn't exist anymore and that the person changed e-mail addresses on me. When I asked him this morning what I am asking you now, he has been Missing In Action ever since. Since you had once answered a question for me previously, that is why I searched for you.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
James was not wrong and if your email never went through then I would think the email address did not exist anymore also, this is because you may get a returned notification like that.

Most times though when the email account no longer exists the return mail tell you something like inbox/account no longer exists, it really depends on how the server is set up and servers can be configured in many different ways.

My way of thinking is simple, you had a temporary problem emailing the person and received notification of that, so that gives me no reason to believe it is anything more than a temporary dns error on the server.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was also confused because of how coincidental it is that this happened when I asked her a question that possibly should have stopped further contact and because when she did initiate contact again, she is still mentioning nothing about my question. I tried to add this information, but the computer didn't let me because you had already answered the question. Thank you.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
I can completely understand that you would be confused about the coincidence of the situation. But we need to look at the facts, and the fact is an email user can not make undeliverable messages be sent when they do not want to reply to someone.

Even if they the mail server administrator which I am sure they are not, would they really take down all incoming email just to avoid one? The answer is no, remember many email accounts are on a server not just the one.

Considering everything you have told me my professional opinion is that it was a coincidence and a server outage and nothing more.

If it happened every time you tried to email them I would say the account was disabled or deleted. But either I do not think the recipient had anything to do with it at all because from a technical stand point they would not be able to somehow turn on an email bounce to avoid your email, it is just technically not possible and it is not how undeliverable email messages work.

I will be going to bed now it is late. If you need me later please let me know and I will reply to you in the morning.

Thank you so much.
-Chris
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.