Yegarboy
Yegarboy, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert VBA Programmer.
18042535

I am using Excel to display the total run time for a race.Example

I am using Excel to display the total run time for a race.
Example start 3/5/12 12:00
arrivial time 3/7/12 1640

All times are 24 hour format and entered as above year 2012
Can you give me a formula and the cell format to make this work.
I would like to have the results show 2 days 4 hours XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Yegarboy replied 1 year ago.

yegarboy :

Hey there, Welcome to JA!

yegarboy :

Would something like this work?

Start TimeEnd TimeTotal Time
3/5/12 12:003/7/12 16:40 1/2/00 4:40
3/6/12 7:003/6/12 19:00

1/0/00 12:00

yegarboy :

1 would be the same month. 2 would be the days apart and 4:40 is Hours and Minutes.

Customer:

This is driving me nuts. I have tried several formulas and lots of cell formats but I still cannot get the answer I wish.

I want the answer in days , hours, mins. Like 2d 4h 0 min

yegarboy :

Ah ok. Let me try a custom format.

Customer:

Great. I have 24 dog teams going a 1000 miles ... I need to look at the trail time between 15 chckpoints and then the final total trail time at the end of the race.

It typicaly covers around 11 days. So the final result will be something like 11d 12h 35 m

yegarboy :

Do you know how to enter a custom format?

Customer:

I have selected the custom area and used some of them in my trials but none gave me the results I wanted.

yegarboy :

Just a sec :)

yegarboy :

Enter this for your Custom Format.....

yegarboy :

d "Days" / h "Hours" : mm "Minutes";@

yegarboy :

The formula i used is....

yegarboy :

=IF(B2<A2,B2+1,B2)-A2

Customer:

Ok let me try this one. I believe I have thried this before ...

yegarboy :

If you like I can upload a sample workbook :)

Customer:

I put a time in A! cell and the other time in A2 . put the formular in C1 got lotts of ############

will now try formating C1 what should the format be for A1 and A2?

yegarboy :

The reason it show ############ XXXXX XXXXX its a long format. Expand the Column :)

yegarboy :

Have a look at my workbook.

Customer:

I do not have a d h mm format selection in that order.

yegarboy :

I know :) I just wrote that Format. Right click the cell for the total. Click Format Cells. Click Custom. Then paste my Format in the Type

Bar.

yegarboy :

Did you look at my sample workbook

yegarboy :

?

Customer:

What cells do you wish me to put in the start and finish times.

I presently am using A1 and A2 with result going to C1 I see the formular from us s caling for B cells.

yegarboy :

That will show you everything I did. Click Format cells to see what I did for each cell.

yegarboy :

A1 Gets the Start time
B1 Gets the End Time
C1 gets the total

Customer:

Where is the sample workbook. all I see is your comments.

Customer:

Here is what I havel

3/10/2013 12:00<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL=/chat/no-script.aspx?tid=12114213" />
3/12/2013 15:00
###########

yegarboy :

From your workbook?

Customer:

from the spread sheet A1 A2 and C2 has the ###### C1 has the error message

yegarboy :

ahh ok just a sec

yegarboy :

=IF(A2<A1,A2+1,A2)-A1

yegarboy :

Put that in your totals cell

Customer:

I downloaded your spread sheet and what are the two times in B1 and B2?

yegarboy :

B2 and B3 are the End Times. I went left to Right instead of down.

yegarboy :

Would you like an example the way you have it?

Customer:

Let me try the left to right on my sheet.

yegarboy :

ok

Customer:

I am haveing problems with the cell format ... I looked at your cell format I do not have that format.

How do I enter it in the thing. I have tried to enter the one you called for but do not know how to enter it.

yegarboy :

Can you upload your workbook? www.wikisend.com after upload copy and paste the download link here.

yegarboy :

I will fix it up for you :)

Customer:

The work book is 15 pages long. Lots and lots of things on it.

I am presently using a test sheet. with a couple of cells to test this thing.

I really do not understand how you put in the d"days:/ h"hours ....

yegarboy :

I will post some pictures. what version of Excel do you use?

Customer:

Office 2007 and Office 2010

yegarboy :

Great, just a sec

yegarboy :

Full Size Image

yegarboy :

Full Size Image

yegarboy :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Let me look and try somethings with the cell format

yegarboy :

ok

Customer:

Got it!! did not know about the window above the list. It now works. I shall try it in my main program.

If I have problems will contact you folks later.

Is there a number ticket to reference ???

yegarboy :

You can view this question anytime. Log into your account and Click "My Questions" at the top. I'm glad you found my solution helpful :) Dont forget to Rate my Answer with Good to Excellent service. Take care :)

yegarboy :

You can reply back that way :)

yegarboy :

Dont forget to Rate :) Thats how I get credit for helping you.

Customer:

Everything Is working as it should Thank You I would not have gotten there without your help.

A big smillie face selected.

Yegarboy, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Expert VBA Programmer.
Expert:  Yegarboy replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.