authentech
authentech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I am an MCSE and have worked in the field for years
58460175

Each time I try to send an email, I receive ... Error message

Customer Question

Each time I try to send an email, I receive ... Error message -17897. In Microsoft Entourage (2008 for Mac). Version 12.3.3 (120411).

However, I canreceive emails as well as access the web with Firefox.

Please, is there some way to fix this problem?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  authentech replied 4 years ago.

authentech :

Hi my name is Todd and I will try to assist with this.

authentech :

I am going to assume that your outbound mail port is being blocked by the hotel's internet service provider.

authentech :

This means you are most likely trying to email outbound messages on port 25 (default) and this port is blocked by Verizon, or Brighthouse, or whoever they use for their Internet. The fix is to send mail out using an alternate mail port .

authentech :

Often this is 2525, 3535, or 587.

authentech :

See this for more info: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1838667,00.asp

authentech :

Change the SMTP port in Entourage

Follow the steps outlined below to change the SMTP port for outgoing email in Entourage.

1. Open Entourage.

2. On the Tools menu, click Accounts.

3. Select your email account.

4. Click Edit.

5. On the Account Settings tab, in the Sending Mail section: Enter in the "SMTP server" field: mail.your-domain-name.com.

6. Click “Click here for advanced sending options.”

7. Check "Override default SMTP port:" and change to 2525. (or 587, or 3535...try each one if the first doesn't work)

8. Check "SMTP server requires authentication" - "use same settings as my incoming mail server" should be selected.

9. Click on small box on upper left corner to close window.

10. Click OK to save changes and close the Accounts window.

authentech :

I hope I have helped you! Please click on the Smiley Face below to give me a positive rating. This is how I get credit for the assist. I appreciate it very much! Thanks for using JustAnswer.com and Pearl.com!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have tried each of the 3 settings/port numbers you suggested. However, it was slow and then timed out with error message -3259.

Please, do you have any more suggestions?

I have to go out for an hour or so. Look forward to seeing your next ideas when I return. Thank you,

Nick.

Please see the following article with this exact error message...and it also relates to your initial problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2500175
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Rod,

Not having any luck I am afraid! Have tried a new account but still could not send an email.

Any other thoughts?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am still having the same problem ... and have not had a response to the question below.

It looks like I am out of pocket SG$58 and the issue has not been resolved.

I'm sorry you responded and didn't hear back from me right away. I am not always working on this site so you must give the Experts more time to respond. I see you created another account but that is the very last step after the other steps didn't work. I don't think you did them correctly based on your responses. Please review the steps here and go through them one at a time.

To resolve this problem, follow these steps.

Step 1: Verify that you can connect to the Internet

First, test to see you can sign in using the web based application. For example, if its a Gmail account, visit gmail.com and Sign in. If you were able to sign in then proceed to the next step. If you are not able to sign in, contact your email client to obtain correct user name and password.

Step 2: Change the SMTP port to 587

Entourage 2008

1. Start Entourage 2008.
  2. Click Tools, and then click Accounts.
  3. Double-click the account you want to set up for Entourage.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

4. In the Sending mail section, click Click here for advanced sending options.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

5. Click to select the Override default SMTP port check box, and then change the port value 587.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

6. Clear the Outbox, and try to send a test email message.
If the issue continues to occur, create a new user account and try again with the original email settings.

If you do not get it resolved...it's likely this will work as soon as you leave the hotel environment. Is this a temporary setup or are you planning on staying at this hotel location for a while? If it's very temporary, you can let me know if the problem is resolved by leaving the hotel. Please go through these steps again at the top of this answer and see if it's resolved. If not, please let me know and I can opt out of the question to try to see if another Expert can help you. At no time will your money be taken if you are not helped so please don't think that's how this site works. Also, if it gets resolved, please leave me a positive rating as negative ratings are generally reserved for techs that are rude or otherwise not helpful. I am trying to ensure your problem is resolved. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you ... I have carried out your instructions AGAIN. Same result! Cannot send emails ... get error message 3253.

Immediately prior to this I had been logged on to the Singapore Airlines site doing Check-In and getting my boarding passes. So i know the connection was working.

I was hoping to resolve the issue before leaving the hotel. I leave tonight and will be back in my home set up in the morning. However, there were several things that needed to be done before departure.

At this stage there have been lots of helpful hints but no resolution ... and it has cost. I am sorry but i think you have been fairly marked.

I again am sorry we were unable to resolve this issue. I will request that you receive a refund and also request that you give JustAnswer.com another chance in the future. I have personally helped over 400 people on this site alone, and am sorry that we weren't able to get your connection working before you left.

Good luck.