Yegarboy
Yegarboy, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert VBA Programmer.
18042535

I am a nurse practitioner in a family medicine clinic. We are

I am a nurse practitioner in a family medicine clinic. We are expected to keep stats about multiple details of each encounter I have with a client. We keep track on an excel sheet and I am trying to find a way to make it easier than either going down the excel sheet and updating every number every time or manually keeping track of the stats on a paper then entering it. Is there a way that I could have a tally program on my computer that after I saw a client I could click a bunch of boxes and it would automatically update the excell sheet? Please let me know if this makes sense
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.

yegarboy :

00000000000000000000000000000000000000
Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
This can be done :) Can you give me an example?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So for instance, I see a client and I do three things that we want to count on our stats, Usually i have a piece of paper and i will tick off those things then count up all my ticks at the end of the week/month etc and put that number on the excel sheet. What I would like to know is how to create a program that would work like my piece of paper. After I finish seeing a client I would click on boxes and this would be added to the coresponding sections on the excel sheet. Something like the hand ticker that a bouncer uses at a club but online for a number of different items

Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
Are you wanting to do this directly to the Excel sheet? Or try to use a 3rd party program?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the rating I was confused with your answer above I didn't see a way to rate the follow up questions and couldn't change it after I sent it.

Either way, the end point is that I want to count how many times I do certain things so that it can be reported to our board and the government who want to know how well we are doing our job. So really its a question of how can I count things online without having to manually count them every time.

Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
I can fix your program to auto tally the points. It would work like this.

You open your program, a box opens up and asks for the points. You enter them and it applies then to the proper place. Does that sound good? Or are you wanting to do this in real time with a different program?

It's ok about the Rating. Next time just wait to rate :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Idealy it would be done right after I see a client. I would have the program open on my desk top, click on a number of boxes, hit enter and it would add that to my total.

Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
Awesome. Can you upload your workbook to me? Make it a safe book with Private data replaced with dummy data. Then give me details on what data should go where and I will create it for you :)

Upload the file to www.wikisend.com after upload give me the File ID number or Download link.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That would be awesome, I am just trying to figure out how to send you a blank one. Right now I am in the middle of trying to catch up on data entry for the past 3 months. it will just take a minute

Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
No problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The file ID number is XXXXX

it is a 13 week workbook because idealy we are doing this at the end of each day, The end point is all that really matters. My boss wants to know how many times we do these things for the quarterly reports so it is done every 3 months. I have made the most important items red on the first page of the book. Please let me know your next questions

Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
How would you like to enter the data? We have a few choices :)

1. If you will only do each item once the we can use a Checkbox

2. If certain things get entered more then once we can use a Up/Down spin button. It will add 1 or take away 1.

3. A plain text field.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think the up/down spin makes the most sense just in case.

Does my question make more sense now when you see the workbook? Can you understand why I want to make it easier?

Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
I sure can. Heres what I am thinking. When you open the book and go to the week you want. A program will open. You will select the Day of week you want. The items in red will be listed in the program. You click the up button and it adds a 1 to its value. When all done you click Done! and the data is populated to it's respected place.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It sounds great!
You can make this for me?

Is there an extra charge to do this?

If you can do this, can I change it so that everything is on the program? and not just the ones in Red? It might be a perfect solution and if I forget to add something, one of my coworkers will complain.

Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
I can do the whole thing yes. I am not allowed to discuss the price with you though. However, you can add a bonus at the end to make up for the extra work. This will take some time to complete so no need to wait here. I will reply with any questions or to let you know its done :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will definitely add a bonus, How do I do that?

Does your comment " I am not allowed to discuss the price with you" mean there will be an extra price but you are not alowed to say, Or, you are not alowed to charge extra for things.

Thank you so much for helping me out!!

I am sorry again for the rating,

Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
No extra charge for the question itself. Just the Bonus will be Extra :)
Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
The program itself is done. I am now filling in the names for the labels. I should have it done in an hour or so :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's awesome!! Thankyou
Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
Ok Mrs Shannon :)

Here's how it works. When you open the Workbook and Click a sheet the Program will start.

Select the Day of that week you want to work with First. This is very important :)

It has Tabs at the top that let you choose what data you want to enter. Click the Up button next to any Description to add a value to it. It will increase by 1 with each click.

When you are all done make your way to the very last tab and Click "Submit All Data"
Make sure you remember to pick a Day :)

Here is the link to your file

http://wikisend.com/download/379754/Shannon's Excel workbook.xlsm

Let me know how you like it :)
Yegarboy, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Expert VBA Programmer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for all your work, now I just need to know how to open the sheets. I am not sure which file to open, I tried opening the file called workbook but its not opening n Excel and I don't know how to choose the sheets

Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
The Sheet is where all of your data is. e.g. "July 2-6" Click the Sheet name at the bottom.

Go back to www.wikisend.com and Enter File ID 379754 Save the file to your downloads.

Macro's Must Be Enabled to use it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hmmm, I know what the sheets are, but it's not opening up in an excel file it open in windows explorer

Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
Right click the file and select "Open With" then select Excel
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to be such a problem now I have tried that and I don't get excel as an option to open it.

When I try to open excel first and then open the file I get an error that says

"the file you are trying to open "shannon's Excel workbook.zip" is in a different format than the specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source before opening the file.

Should I open it? or do I need to unzip or do something different

Or is it that I have an old Excel and it wont work? i can try on a different computer

Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
Thats ok. Disregard the file I sent you and try this one.

• File ID: 390926

Sometimes they upload funny :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, so it looks the same, I must be doing something wrong, can we talk on the phone or a direct chat so I can make sure I am not doing something wrong?

Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I cant give out my personal details. If you got it to open thats step 1.

Step2.
You should have been prompted to Enable Macros. If not Click the Circle Office button. Then Click Excel Options.

On the left you will see "Trust Center" click it.

Then Click Trust Center Settings. A new window will open.
Click Macro Settings,

Then Finally click "Enable all Macros"

Then click a sheet name other than the first one to activate the program.
Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the Rating :)

In the future if you like, we can add things to it and make it do other things as well. Feel free to request me by name for your next project :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a way to change the dates at the bottom?
Otherwise it seems like it will work, I will just have to trial it at work now

Thank you for all your help :)
Expert:  Yegarboy replied 2 years ago.
Right click the sheet name and click Rename :)