John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
53785

Is there a way or function similar to lookup that I can use

Is there a way or function similar to lookup that I can use to find a cell and return a value that CONTAINS certain text. Ex

I want to find a cell that contains speed
Here are the cells that I have

Green
hyper speed
money
race car
tree

When I try the formula vlookup("speed",D4:D8,1,False) Nothing pops up but if I use it with true, it returns race car.

Without typing up the entire string, Is there any way to return cells that contain certain characters?

Oops! sorry

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Ok here is a sample file with the formula in the yellow cell

Attachment: 2012-10-04_003950_vlookup.xlsx

Type in cell D1 the word or part of the text that you want to look for, and the formula in C1 will display the entire text where that word was found

Hope this helps. Thank you for rating this answer "Excellent" or "Good" if I was able to answer your question

John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience: Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant