authentech
authentech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I am an MCSE and have worked in the first for years
58460175

send mail to recipient is greyed out in MS word 2010

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  authentech replied 1 year ago.

authentech :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you with this.

authentech :

This can happen for a few reasons. Make sure you installed Word and Outlook with the same Suite or package. If it's two different programs...this can be difficult to troubleshoot.

Customer:

Thanks Todd

authentech :

Here are some steps

authentech :

To change the default e-mail program to Outlook yourself, follow these steps:

1. Start Microsoft Internet Explorer.

2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

3. Click the Programs tab.

4. In the E-mail box, select Microsoft Outlook.

5. Click OK.

Method 2: Verify the registry settings

ImportantThis section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

1. Close all programs.

2. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem

4. Locate the following registry values. Typically, these values are listed in the Windows Messaging Subsystem key.

NameTypeData
    MAPIREG_SZ1
    CMCREG_SZ1
    CMCDLLNAMEREG_SZMapi.dll
    CMCDLLNAME32REG_SZMapi32.dll
    MAPIXREG_SZ1
    MAPIXVERREG_SZ1.0.0.1
    OLEMessagingREG_SZ1

5. If any of these registry values are missing, follow these steps to add the values:

1. Click the Windows Messaging Subsystem subkey, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click String Value.

2. Type the name of the missing value, and then press ENTER.

3. Click the new value, and then click Modify on the Edit menu.

4. In the Edit String dialog box, type the correct value for the missing string value in the Value data box.

5. Repeat steps 6a - 6d for each value that is missing from the table that is in step 4.

6. On the File menu, click Exit.

Typically, Excel 2007, PowerPoint 2007, and Word 2007 automatically display the correct e-mail options when the required registry keys are present. If these programs do not display the e-mail options after you use the methods described here, add the e-mail options to these programs. To do this, follow these steps:

1. On the File menu, click Program Name Options.

2. Click Customization, and then click All commands in the Commands list.

3. Click the command that you want, and then click Add to add the command to the Quick Access toolbar. For example, click Send for Review, and then click Add to add the Send for Review command to the toolbar.

4. Click OK.

Method 3: Send the file as an attachment from your e-mail program

As a workaround, you can attach the Office file to your message from your e-mail program by browsing to the file location

Customer:

I have done the IE option all ok there

authentech :

ok

Customer:

Also saw the registry fix but go confused there

Customer:

Can I work through the registry fix with you?

authentech :

we can sure try!

authentech :

I am very familiar with editing the Registry...just not sure how I am going to help you follow the instructions. They are pretty straight forward...but let me know where you are getting confused.

Customer:

Working on tha t now

Customer:

Choossr.dll

Customer:

etc

Customer:

But I don't see the entries

Customer:

NameTypeData
MAPIREG_SZ1
CMCREG_SZ1
CMCDLLNAMEREG_SZMapi.dll
CMCDLLNAME32REG_SZMapi32.dll
MAPIXREG_SZ1
MAPIXVERREG_SZ1.0.0.1
OLEMessagingREG_SZ

1

authentech :

Ok, so first when you type regedit, your registry will open. This is like a file tree similar to Windows Explorer but for the registry.

Customer:

The only one that's there is mapi reg-sz which is set a 1

Customer:

Does that make sense to you?

authentech :

You need to minimize all the menus by pressing the - sign so that all you are seeing is the 5 or so main menus. One should be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

authentech :

ok. Got it.

authentech :

Yeah you posted where you were before I finished . Sounds like you were in the correct place. Just browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem

Customer:

I understand how to get to the right part and I am on the windows messaging subsystem

authentech :

yes...ok thanks

authentech :

ok I am getting these instructions from this link:

authentech :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918792

authentech :

It says 2007 but should be the same

authentech :

If any of these registry values are missing, follow these steps to add the values:

authentech :

You need to follow these steps to create each one that is missing.

Customer:

looking at that....

Customer:

This is a bit 'scarey' - do I add each string e.g. CMC - as a name, make it 1 and then add the next tring CMCDLLNAME etc?

authentech :

Yeah, make a string, name it MAPIX or whatever is on the list. Then open it and change the value as listed

Customer:

I thinkn (hope) I have done that correctly

authentech :

ok. Typically, Excel 2007, PowerPoint 2007, and Word 2007 automatically display the correct e-mail options when the required registry keys are present. If these programs do not display the e-mail options after you use the methods described here, add the e-mail options to these programs. To do this, follow these steps:

4. Click OK.

Customer:

So for the one CMCDLLNAME The type is now 'REG_SZ' and data is Mapi.dll'

Customer:

Is that correct?

Customer:

And for CMCDLLNAME32 the data is Mapi32.dll

authentech :

yes

Customer:

ok so I have made thos changes.

Customer:

Do I exit the registry and will that save the changes?

authentech :

yes any change you make in the registry is live

authentech :

no saving required

Customer:

What do I do next? Resart word or reboot?

authentech :

You can try to open Word

Customer:

ok doing that. Fingers crossed.

Customer:

Darn. Still greyed out!

Customer:

If I reboot how do I get back to you?

authentech :

You can hit Ctrl + D to bookmark this page

Customer:

Will that get be back into chat with you?

authentech :

HAve you done a repair of MS Office yet?

authentech :

yes

Customer:

Yes I did that as the fist step

authentech :

This part is IN word...after opening word...you follow them

authentech :

4. Click OK.

authentech :

Did you do this part alrady?

Customer:

I am back again.

Customer:

Have just rebooted but sadly the problem persists

Customer:

Just looking at what you advised in the last bit

authentech :

ok, yes let me know if that changes anything

Customer:

With the Customization part - the command is already in the ribbon - it's greyed out.

Customer:

I.E. it's in the Quick Access Toolbar

Customer:

but greyed out

Customer:

I might try resetting it

Customer:

Restting didnn't work either

authentech :

one second

authentech :

ok. I'm out of ideas. I'm sorry we weren't able to get it to work. I will opt out and see if another expert can assist you. This is short of reinstalling your MS Office completely. If you are willing to give that a try, it seems to be the next logical step. If you'd rather not, I'll opt out. If you end up reinstalling after working with someone else, please consider giving me a positive rating since that is my next recommendation. Be sure you backup Outlook before uninstalling so you don't lose anything.

Customer:

OK thanks for your help. This is an annoying problem as I use that facility many times per day.

authentech :

ok. Sorry again for that. Please let me know if you are going to reinstall or if you want me to opt out first.

Customer:

Hi Tod.

Customer:

Just confirming - I have fixed the problem

Customer:

I remembered after speaking

to you that installed a new program yesterday (Office Guard I think it was called ) - All to do with DRM managment of MS products).

Customer:

Customer:

I thought that may be causing the problem and uninstalled that. Then rebooted

Customer:

All is now back to normal

Customer:

At least it's all fixed. YOur assistance was appreciated because it confirmed I was correct in everything else I had tried.

Customer:

Cheers XXXXX XXXXX now closed.

Cam

authentech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: I am an MCSE and have worked in the first for years