nalosin
nalosin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  7+ years in troubleshooting and supporting computers, networks, mobile phones and other electronic devices.
31004542

I have just started working with Word 2010. If I protect my

I have just started working with Word 2010. If I protect my mailmerg docuement from editing, will I still be able to do the mailmerge each time. The document is my master document for mailmerging information then doing a cut and paste before I actually set up a hard file for each document. Will my mailmerge work?

nalosin :

Hello

nalosin :

and welcome to JustAnswer.com

nalosin :

I can try to help with your question

nalosin :

The best thing to do in Word is to save that file as template

nalosin :

Just for original word document that you don't wish to change

nalosin :

click on File (or top-left Office icon)

nalosin :

then select Save As

nalosin :

in Save as window under File Type choose "Word Template"

Customer:

then once I have saved as a template, I will still be able to do a mail merge every day for the next ........ till I do not need it any more?

nalosin :

Yes, it's the best way

nalosin :

your template file will stay the same even if you use Save or Save As

Customer:

So the mailmerge format saves as a template or do I need a different format?

nalosin :

if you use those it will always ask you to save as new file and original template will stay unchanged

nalosin :

You can save any document like template, and also mail merge

Customer:

Ok I will give that a try. With that in mind, maybe I should save all master documents of that type as a template. Sounds like it saves the template plus the original?

nalosin :

It's good as you will have one template all the time

nalosin :

you can change it but it will not save the changes under original template

nalosin :

whenever you press Save or Save as it will ask you to save as new file and will not change template

Customer:

Once a doc is saved as a template is that similar to locking it from someone else editing it without them having permissions. Or is there a way to lock that template from editing.

nalosin :

Template cannot be edited, but if you wish to change it, you have to again press Save As then choose "Word Template" from File Type and save it again

Customer:

So I could make changes if necessary by saving the template in a different name?

nalosin :

Yes, that's correct

Customer:

OK I think I have it. I will try that in the morning when I get to work. DO not have the doc here right now. THank you so much for your help.

nalosin :

I am glad I was able to help. Please write here if you need anything else and don't forget to rate my answer if you were satisfied. Thank you for using JustAnswer

Customer:

thanks again. there is nothing else at this time.